Rough Idle and RPM surges?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 02:56 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough Idle and RPM surges?

Okay, so I went to start my car the other day before work and it wouldn't start. Which was weird because I had driven and parked it there not even 12 hrs beforehand. I work with a few backyard mechanics and asked them if they had any suggestions what to do. Trying to avoid spending a lot of money.

I did a few things to see what was happening

1.I checked my battery to the see the voltage and it checks out
2.I checked to make sure it was turning over and that my tac was showing rpms and it was
3.I then checked for leaks in the fuel line and to see if was getting any pressure through the bleeder and I wasn't
4.I have also replaced my spark plugs about 7,500 kms ago

Went back to work the next day and my buddy the backyard mechanic suggested my fuel pump.

So I followed his advice and changed the fuel pump and after I was done it wouldn't start...wasn't too happy....so I thought maybe its my ACG fuse I had read that could be an issue and it was fine too out of desperation I tried my car again....and bam it starts.......but its running a bit rough and giving codes of misfires in random cylinders and everyone once and a while I have rpm surges?

I am a little confused as I don't know much about cars....

I have read that maybe its my EGR needs a cleaning?

Maybe a coil pack? Or the harness giving it power?

Or a air intake vacuum leak?(if that makes sense?)

Any ideas on how to test for these things or what your suggested plan of action to do would be?
Old 11-08-2014, 03:06 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Totally forgot to mention I own a Acura TL-S 2003 A-Spec.....my bad
Old 11-08-2014, 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Unhappy No start, previous rough idle and surging rpm's

Originally Posted by pegcityaspec03
Okay, so I went to start my car the other day before work and it wouldn't start. Which was weird because I had driven and parked it there not even 12 hrs beforehand.

My buddy backyard mechanic suggested my fuel pump. So I followed his advice and changed the fuel pump and after I was done it wouldn't start...wasn't too happy.....out of desperation I tried my car again....and bam it starts.......but its running a bit rough and giving codes of misfires in random cylinders and everyone once and a while I have rpm surges?

Welcome Pegcityaspec03 !!!
With any older car, the colder weather starts to play havoc with a poorly maintained car. First off, have the electrical starting/charging system load tested and carefully check the wiring connections and grounds.

Next, have the CEL codes read and tell us what they are. Misfires can be caused by many different things, commonly a bad coil. Were NGK plugs used to replace the old ones with ? Did this problem just start ? Any recent underhood work ?

If the electrical parts check out and ya still think that it's fuel related, try some fuel system cleaner and top off with the best premium fuel available. Could be the PGM-FI Main Relay. If the TB intake, EGR passageways, and IAC valve have not been cleaned, check the "DIY"s for more info.