rotora or powerslot rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Resident Troll.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rotora or powerslot rotors

Im trying to decide on what set of rotors I want. I only plan on changing the fronts as the rears dont really do much.

What are the main differences between the rotoras and the powerslot rotors? All i want are slotted rotors that are hopefully better than the stock ones.

Also anyone know where i can get a set from without breaking the bank???
Old 10-12-2004, 04:09 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ndawood
Im trying to decide on what set of rotors I want. I only plan on changing the fronts as the rears dont really do much.

What are the main differences between the rotoras and the powerslot rotors? All i want are slotted rotors that are hopefully better than the stock ones.

Also anyone know where i can get a set from without breaking the bank???

ROTORA!!!!
Old 10-12-2004, 04:19 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
I can't *really* influence you either way since I just installed my Rotora slotted rotors a few days ago and I haven't researched enough into Powerslot. I did my research on Rotora though. So far, I am very pleased with the improved braking (although I also got new pads, steel lines, and a fluid flush).

There is someone here who could order you some brakes, but I would not recommend him as I had a horrible experience dealing with him. The frustration was not worth it and it just wasted my time. So I am glad that I simply ordered them from the States. Still got a great deal and I felt much better about giving them my money than someone locally whom I did not feel deserved my business. There are also some performance shops in T.O. that would be able to order them for you. I did all my research prior to purchase.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:14 PM
Racer

I have had Rotora slotted rotors for about 3 months now, about 7k miles, mostly city and I am, loving them! I have put some hard stops on them. I use the stock acura pads (installed new when I installed the rotoras). They are good, quiet and best of all - They are not warped!!!
I had Acura resurface the stock pads and about 4k later, they were warped again. That is when I decided to go aftermarket.

I paid less than $300 bucks (US dollars - It was about 296) shipped!

I went through MODACAR.com. I loved them. I went to some other place, they had it back ordered for 2 weeks and didnt bother to tell me. After a week of waiting is when I found out and cancelled and went with Modacar...
Suggestion if you use Modacar: Call to place the order. Dont do it online because the shipping isnt calculated online - Its flat rated. When I called to place the order, the shipping was $17 CHEAPER than it was online.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you end up getting - keep us posted!
Old 10-13-2004, 07:54 AM
Team Inspire Canada

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
I can't *really* influence you either way since I just installed my Rotora slotted rotors a few days ago and I haven't researched enough into Powerslot. I did my research on Rotora though. So far, I am very pleased with the improved braking (although I also got new pads, steel lines, and a fluid flush).

There is someone here who could order you some brakes, but I would not recommend him as I had a horrible experience dealing with him. The frustration was not worth it and it just wasted my time. So I am glad that I simply ordered them from the States. Still got a great deal and I felt much better about giving them my money than someone locally whom I did not feel deserved my business. There are also some performance shops in T.O. that would be able to order them for you. I did all my research prior to purchase.

I wonder who that might be..
Old 10-13-2004, 08:44 AM

hahahaha....

well, word-of-mouth can be very beneficial when the shop/dealer/vendor does great work, but businesses also need to remember that word-of-mouth isn't always to their advantage when they DON'T treat you well.... as a customer, i have every right to either recommend a particular business to someone or tell them my experience and suggest they stay away (just like what happens here all the time on a-tl with online vendors).. well, based on my own experience (and i can only speak for myself!!) - i would not recommend this person! i was pretty unhappy with the way i was treated as a willing customer. his inexperience as a 'businessman' totally shone through!
Old 10-13-2004, 08:47 AM
Team Inspire Canada

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
hahahaha....

well, word-of-mouth can be very beneficial when the shop/dealer/vendor does great work, but businesses also need to remember that word-of-mouth isn't always to their advantage when they DON'T treat you well.... as a customer, i have every right to either recommend someone a particular business to someone or tell them my experience and suggest they stay away (just like what happens here all the time on a-tl with online vendors).. well, based on my own experience (and i can only speak for myself!!) - i would not recommend this person! i was pretty unhappy with the way i was treated as a willing customer. his inexperience as a 'businessman' totally shone through!

Care to share with everyone on this board who this person is....This shall prevent others of going through what you have.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:56 AM
Resident Troll.

Originally Posted by giovanni
Care to share with everyone on this board who this person is....This shall prevent others of going through what you have.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:13 PM

At this time, the only people who might *really* come in contact or consider ordering something from this person will likely be from T.O. The 'business' is not completely up and running as of yet and the website isn't done, so he's not really advertising to the public right now. I can PM you the info - if you want.

Good luck with the rotors! What did you end up deciding?

A few days later, and I'm still VERY pleased with my (quiet) set-up of Rotora slotted + EBC! Feels great!
Old 10-13-2004, 06:37 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally Posted by giovanni
I wonder who that might be..

Old 10-13-2004, 10:26 PM
l33t

Rotora all the way. Ive got 50,000+ miles on these brakes and ive done some crazy ass driving that i should be arrested for, and they still rock on.

Every other 3rd party rotor has had reported warping issues from multiple users, i have yet to see one on rotora...

So far the best known OE replacement most are using is the rotora + EBC greenstuff combo...
Old 10-13-2004, 10:36 PM
www.grounded4life.org

whats the diff. between just slotted n crossed driled cause i was planning on ordering the rotora crossed drilled/slotted rotors or should i just go with the slotted cause i heard alot of people r using the slotted n where can i get the EBC pads THANX
Old 10-13-2004, 10:44 PM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
speaking of Rotora/EBC combo, many of us had experience with some squeeking when braking.

I did the following, and my squeek is 99% gone.
1) at 25 mph I was braking moderately 2-3 times while going in REVERSE.
2) then at about 3-5 mph, I dragged the brakes softly for like 15 seconds in REVERSE.
3) then step #2, but this time FORWARD.
Basically, that removed any lumps that formed on the pads during the Break-In process, and it smoothed out the pads, especially the rear pads which are the hardest to break-in

Then I've used something called Squeal Medic, which is a spray avaiable at most auto stores, it is a silver liquid that is sprayed directly on the rotors.

NOTE: This is what I did, Im not saying you should do it too, so dont hold me responsible. Thanx.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by mikey3.2
whats the diff. between just slotted n crossed driled cause i was planning on ordering the rotora crossed drilled/slotted rotors or should i just go with the slotted cause i heard alot of people r using the slotted
i can't find the really detailed and informative site that gave great info on the differences between regular rotors, slotted rotors, cross-drilled rotors, and slotted + cross-drilled... it also listed some advantages and disadvantages of choosing either one and when it might be more effective to go one way over the other...

but here is one i found just now.. it seems to list a bit of info that might be able to help you out.. wish i could remember the other one.. but check this out:

http://www.brakewarehouse.com/pwrstp1.htm
Old 10-13-2004, 10:50 PM
Race Director

mikey, if you search the threads, you will find lots of info to your questions, and I did answer yer main question of the biggest difference between Slotted and Drilled...search man, search!
Old 10-13-2004, 10:54 PM
Race Director

http://www.raceshopper.com
"What is better- Slotted or Drilled Rotors?
Again - this is a subjective question. As they say- liars can figure- and figures can lie. Proponents of both sides will espouse the benefits of each.
We prefer 'Slotted Rotors' Why?
A few different reasons:
1) Many companies who produce aftermarket performance rotors may not use the best 'blanks' to start with. They do this because it allows them to make the rotors at a lower cost and sell them to you for less than other competitors- or, this way, they can compete with the larger manufacturers. Now, if you have a somewhat sub-standard rotor- and then you 'cross-drill' it - What do you think you're doing? Well, you're compromising the integrity of the rotor by drilling completely through the surface- and then it heats up- and if it isn't a quality blank- made from quality steel and alloy- What do you think happens then? Well, more likely than not- it will crack.
Remember, we're not saying ALL 'Cross Drilled' rotors are bad.
2) Cross-Drilling (in most instances) removes more braking surface area than slotting does.
3) A brake rotor is designed to do one thing: Convert kinetic (moving) energy to thermal energy (heat). What handles more heat- A cast-iron kettle or a pizza pan with holes in it?
4) Can you think of any professional race teams who still use cross-drilled rotors?"
Old 10-13-2004, 11:02 PM
l33t

whats the diff. between just slotted n crossed driled cause i was planning on ordering the rotora crossed drilled/slotted rotors or should i just go with the slotted cause i heard alot of people r using the slotted n where can i get the EBC pads THANX

Cross drilled rotors are designed to increase cooling and performance by allowing gases trapped between the pad and rotor to escape through the drilled holes or slots in the rotor, and by allowing more air to through to cool the pad and rotor.

Slotted increase performance the same way, but not as much cooling as the drilled.

The downside of drilled rotors is that they have a tendency to crack. Even high-end Brembos will crack under the right conditions.

Slotted still achieve the increased performance and minor cooling without compromising the integrity of the rotor, but you sacrifice some of the benefits of drilled by going that route.

I have the slotted and they are fantastic. If i was going to go the drilled route, i would go with an entire big brake system with better built rotors.

There are also rotors that are slotted AND cross drilled. These rotors are sort of a meet-in-the-middle of the two methods, but they are hard to find because the demand is low and most people pick one over the other...

There are a few more differences, but i would have to get in to depth on the design and engineering of brake systems which i dont really feel like doing right now cause im goin the fuck to bed :P
Old 10-13-2004, 11:09 PM
l33t

Originally Posted by teknoking
Again - this is a subjective question. As they say- liars can figure- and figures can lie. Proponents of both sides will espouse the benefits of each.
A few different reasons:
1) Many companies who produce aftermarket performance rotors may not use the best 'blanks' to start with. They do this because it allows them to make the rotors at a lower cost and sell them to you for less than other competitors- or, this way, they can compete with the larger manufacturers. Now, if you have a somewhat sub-standard rotor- and then you 'cross-drill' it - What do you think you're doing? Well, you're compromising the integrity of the rotor by drilling completely through the surface- and then it heats up- and if it isn't a quality blank- made from quality steel and alloy- What do you think happens then? Well, more likely than not- it will crack.
2) Cross-Drilling (in most instances) removes more braking surface area than slotting does.
3) A brake rotor is designed to do one thing: Convert kinetic (moving) energy to thermal energy (heat). What handles more heat- A cast-iron kettle or a pizza pan with holes in it?
4) Can you think of any professional race teams who still use cross-drilled rotors?"
I agree for the most part with you, except on #4... Very high quality rotors that are cross drilled do not have nearly as many issues as the cheap-ass ones.

Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Ferrari etc. have many models that use cross drilled rotors as a factory option.

Of cource, i would NEVER suggest anyone buying a cross-drilled braking system uinless it was over $2000 :P
Old 10-14-2004, 03:36 AM
Pro

I agree with Tekno on this one in terms of helping "vent" the heat away from the rotor. I have also heard that the cross drilled rotors give more "bite" therefore slowing your car down faster. Fact or fable?
Old 10-14-2004, 11:22 AM
www.grounded4life.org

darkshear rotora have the cross drilled/slotted rotors on performancecenter.com should i go with them or just get the slotted cause i dont want the cross drilled/slotted to crack or will they not crack considering there cross drilled/slotted TANX
Old 10-14-2004, 11:31 AM
Race Director

no, they probably will not crack under normal conditions, Im sure you dont run the track often. We have ppl wioth iRotors here and Rotora, most are happy, some with iRotors are dissappointed, which is based on your luck. I suggest get Rotora slotted.

PDX, yes, they give a better bite under racing conditions, but they also eat up your brake pads faster. For regular driving, do you need it? Porsche has it, but of course they have it, they have too make extra money somehow.

example: Its like when people buy racing pads to be cool, not realizing that those brakes pads will only work after you heat them, to do that, you must be well over 120mph...

whatever you chose, it will be better than stock, thats for sure
Old 10-14-2004, 04:44 PM
Resident Troll.

i decided to go with the rotora slotted rotors. i ordered them today and hopefully they will arrive sometime next week.

thanks for all the info everyone!
Old 10-14-2004, 04:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ndawood
i decided to go with the rotora slotted rotors. i ordered them today and hopefully they will arrive sometime next week.

thanks for all the info everyone!

Hey I am planing to buy one too
Where you getting yours from?
Old 10-14-2004, 05:19 PM
Race Director

i prefer MODACAR.com

and ndawood, enjoy!
Old 10-14-2004, 05:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
A few different reasons:
just a little to add to this.
many race teams still use Crossed Drilled. they cool the rotor, slotted actually heats up the rotor. they are used in conjunction. the slotted part of the rotor is used to degas and clean the pad from glazing, but this produces friction which = heat. the Cross drilled part is used for cooling. look at scca, trans am imsa nascar they all use cross drilled
Old 10-14-2004, 06:39 PM
www.grounded4life.org

Thanks alot teknoking for all the info im gonna go wit the rotora slotted n the EBC pads. Does anyone know a good place to get the EBC pads at. I lookin to buy the rotors n pads in about a month.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Thanks alot teknoking for all the info im gonna go wit the rotora slotted n the EBC pads. Does anyone know a good place to get the EBC pads at. I lookin to buy the rotors n pads in about a month.
tirerack
Old 10-14-2004, 09:24 PM
Race Director

tirerack.com or Pepboys
Old 10-14-2004, 10:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

I got Rotora slotted rotors with Endless pads. Great combo IMHO.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:54 PM
Racer

tirerack.com or Pepboys

FYI tirerack is cheaper but with shipping its the same price as pep boys at around $73. But pep boys takes a week to get them so you will probably wind up waiting either way.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:27 AM
l33t

Velocity Resources carries them as well
Old 10-15-2004, 07:43 AM
2003 SSM TLS

An alternative to full cross drilled rotors is the dimple drilled option. It gives most of the cooling benefits of cross drilling but lessons the risk of stress cracking because they are not drilled all the way through. I have about 20K on my dimple drilled/slotted on my 03 TL-S and am very pleased with them.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 69ssrscam
An alternative to full cross drilled rotors is the dimple drilled option. It gives most of the cooling benefits of cross drilling but lessons the risk of stress cracking because they are not drilled all the way through. I have about 20K on my dimple drilled/slotted on my 03 TL-S and am very pleased with them.

What brand are they??? Thanks
Old 10-16-2004, 10:51 PM
Intermediate

Hi.. before you bother to change the rotors fit a full set of Hawk HP plus pads ....I'm also in Toronto contact me if you wish
Old 10-16-2004, 11:02 PM
Drifting

is it fine to just run the fronts with aftermarket brakes/pads?
Old 10-17-2004, 03:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tl-s4now
FYI tirerack is cheaper but with shipping its the same price as pep boys at around $73. But pep boys takes a week to get them so you will probably wind up waiting either way.
It's really even closer than you think. . .

Last year when I got the local PB's to do Purlolator rotors & QS pads (BIG MISTAKE!!!) and two tires (Dunlops), the service manager confessed to me that (at least that store) orders anything like this from Tire Rack themselves - they ordered the Dunlops from there. He said that they make a very small margin, since they combine the shipping on multiple orders, and make it back up on the labor. This was confirmed two days later when I came in and my tires were there with the TR shipping label on them.

Can't say that every Manny, Moe, or Jack does this, but what you say pretty much backs up the story that I was told.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:55 PM
Racer

Is there really a BIG difference if you change everything except for the calipers?
Old 10-17-2004, 08:00 PM
Advanced

You're durn tootin', they do.

When M,M, & J put on OEM replacement rotors from Purolator & Purolator QS pads about 14 months ago, my braking went right in the toilet. This is after using stock rotors for 90K+ miles, chewing through 3 sets of front OEM pads and two sets (one OEM and one OEM replacement) of rear pads. I have not messed with either the lines or the calibers in the history of the car (bought with 15 miles on it, and now has 125K).

This was further proven to me when I drove my wife's '04 Altima SL (not the 6 cylinder, but the more pedestrian 4) for about 4K miles this summer, and she complained non-stop about my brakes while she drove my TL.

Yesterday, I changed out the OEM replacement rotors for some drilled (not slotted) rotors that I got from an aftermarket shop off eBay. I am not posting either the name or the price, to 1) make sure that the purchase was a good one - I figure 1K miles should be sufficient and should be there in about three weeks, and 2) because I paid below bargain basement prices for them and don't want to hear all the flames.

Suffice it to say, the braking has improved tremendously, better than stock even with the crappier pads. After driving about 50 miles on them, I am already looking to get some GreenStuff's in the next week or two.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:24 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Got_3.2?
is it fine to just run the fronts with aftermarket brakes/pads?
Old 10-17-2004, 11:43 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Can someone post pics and also state prices??? thanks...

Quick Reply: rotora or powerslot rotors