Roof Racks, FTW
Old 05-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 219 Likes on 168 Posts
um...yea...I want one now.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2G TL Yakima roof rack kit is $299 @ Yakima.com w/o attachment for bike,ski,etc..

4- Q towers
2- 48" crossbars
2- Q92 clips
2- Q93 clips
1- 43" fairing (to cut wind noise)

I saw a few on ebay for around $150, then you need the clips which are about $20 a pair, then what ever mount (bike,ski,etc...) you need $60-$80 ea.

I bought mine from ebay, Q towers (locks and key inc.), rails, fairing for $90 shipped...paid $40 shipped for the clips(Q92 + Q93)
Old 11-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Regional Coordinator (SoCal)

Received 89 Likes on 82 Posts
Old 11-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Regional Coordinator (SoCal)

Received 89 Likes on 82 Posts
Just posting some pics I found , search feature is awesome(:

Old 11-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Thule or Yakima make great stuff. I will never buy one for the roof for bikes though. I hate loading the bike over and onto the roof. I have a trailer hitch style bike rack.

Oh, and if you do get a roof rack for bikes, remember NOT to pull into your garage with the bike on top. Ive seen the consequences many times from others.

Done this very thing - twice - on my old Nissan. Peeled up the rain gutters, gashed the bikes and garage door....nasty. Here's how you avoid it: Put your garage door opener remote in the trunk before you drive off. That way you can't reach for it when you pull up to your house. If you programmed the TL's buttons at the map lights for controlling the garage door, place a chair or other object in your garage which will force you to get out of your car and move it when you return. Works like a charm everytime and saved me from further humiliation.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:41 PM
Advanced

looks good
Old 11-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JCharged
um...yea...I want one now.
Before you get one consider the pro and cons of a roof rack vs. a hitch receiver rack. I've had both on different vehicles.

Roof rack pros:

Coolness factor. Says your a serious biker, boarder, skier, etc. If you get a roof rack for your bikes, go with the ones where you take off the front wheels. Bikes are more aero this way and it looks cooler than upright designs.

Bikes are secured higher in the air and are less subject to tampering or theft than in receiver racks.

Bikes are more separated from each other and less likely to be scratched than in receiver rack models.

Roof mounted bikes don't obstruct access to your trunk like receiver racks do.

Roof racks are always there ready for you to go and play whereas you usually have to mount the receiver rack everytime unless you leave it on your car which looks dork.

Roof rack cons:

Always have to hoist your bike up on your roof which can sometimes be a pain in the butt. With practice though you can mount them pretty fast.

Your roof will be subject to paint damage no matter how careful you are. 1st the tower pads will move a little and hurt the paint. This is especially true when loaded with bikes and you take a corner too sharp. Also, it's easy to drop something on the roof when you're placing the bikes up there. A bike lock, keys, skewers, all these things are your paint's enemy.

Roof racks make a little wind noise even with a cool looking faring. Wind noise means some drag is imposed on your car and you can lose as much as 10 mpg and 20hp. Made you look. I don't know how noticeable it is on the TL but remember you will probably have this thing on until you sell it.

Roof racks collect bug juice and insect bodies like you won't believe and it's a pain to clean it. High pressure water usually does it though, but sometimes you have to scrub it and extract dragon flies by hand.

Roof racks make cleaning the roof of your car a little more difficult.

With roof racks you can easily forget your bikes are on top and slam them into you garage. Done this twice.

Hitch receiver rack pros:

Down lower so you don't have to lift bikes up. This is big deal with heavier beach cruisers.

Bikes are better protected from bugs and flying debris behind car.

More aero than roof racks because the car body blocks the drag. There is still a little drag and fluttering on the back of the car but you won't notice it.

Roof of car is kept clean of hardware and damage to body is less likely.

You can detach hitch rack and move it to another car that has a receiver.

Some racks fold down or swing out of the way for trunk access.

Hitch receiver rack cons:

Nowhere as cool as a roof rack. Says more like: I take the wife and kiddies to the bike trail on Sundays instead of I downhill race my M-bike on weekdays and cyclecross on Sundays if you have a roof rack. Having a dripping, mud caked mountain bike on your roof rack is the coolest feeling.

Bikes are usually mounted closer and can scratch each other if you're not careful. Different racks have things to help avoid this but sometimes they are extra cost.

You have to have a hitch receiver installed on your car. Extra cost beyond the rack cost. If you already pull trailers with your car, you're good to go. Just make sure you match the receiver size to the rack size.

Your bikes are down lower and probably have greater chance of somebody tampering with them or stealing parts and accessories. Use the rack locks correctly and also get some u-locks for good measure. Remove every quick release item when you leave your car unattended unless it's securely locked to the rack. Friend of mine had an expensive road bike wheel removed from his bike. They come in matching sets so he had to buy two.

You have to fold or swing your rack away to get to the trunk. Mine is a three step process and a little of a hassle.

The securing clamps to the tubes of your bike could scratch it if you're worried about that kind of thing.

Enough typing. My .
Old 11-10-2009, 01:18 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
^
Nice review!