Rockblocker Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 11:19 AM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Rockblocker Install

I received my 35% (darker) taillight tint from Rockblocker the other day and I was going to install it myself, but I don't really know what I'm doing. I don't want to mess it up and end up having to order another kit from them, so I was thinking about getting a local shop to do it. So, I was calling around today before class and I found a shop that said $75-100. I thought this was kind of ridiculous, but it is the only shop in town that I could find that will do it.

My questions is do you think I should pay them to do it or do you think that it would be easy enough to do it myself? I know it comes with the directions and tells you how to do it, but I am not good at this kind of stuff, so if I mess it up, I will end up having to spend another $54 to order another kit from Rockblocker.

Thanks in advance, everyone.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Only way to get good at stuf is to not be afraid to try and do it yourself. With practice comes confidence and know how.

And Satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself!

Also look at it this way. If you screw up its still cheaper than paying someone to do it, plus you can learn from your mistake
Old 01-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Only way to get good at stuf is to not be afraid to try and do it yourself. With practice comes confidence and know how.

Also look at it this way. If you screw up its still cheaper than paying someone to do it, plus you can learn from your mistake
No joke...i love that mentality. I've been thinking like that since i can walk. And i even learned how to walk myself too.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:55 AM
No He Can't

Originally Posted by fsttyms1

I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, but how many times am I going to tint my taillights or windows?? And if I do mess it up, I will have to order another kit and then probably pay them to install it because I don't want to mess it up again.

Don't know what to do.....
Old 01-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, but how many times am I going to tint my taillights or windows?? And if I do mess it up, I will have to order another kit and then probably pay them to install it because I don't want to mess it up again.

Don't know what to do.....
Its not how many times you will ever do it again, its knowing that your not afraid to try. And Thats just it, you never know till you try. There is no need to be afraid. Follow the instructions and take your time. If you do make a mistake you will know what not to do next time. You dont learn how to do something by not doing it
Old 01-12-2007, 02:53 PM
2Poor 2Furious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, but how many times am I going to tint my taillights or windows??
You know once you start getting the modding bug, you're gonna be modding your whole life. The TL won't be your last car so it won't be the last car you're gonna need to tint.

For the price of the install, you can afford to buy two more kits and have two more go's at it! If you really want, go buy some tint from autozone and practice the method on some plastic or glass.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:05 PM
No He Can't

UPDATE:

I went to a local tint shop and met the owner who was really cool. He had me pull the car around back and he did it under the table for $20. Plus, I got to sit there and talk to him and watch him do it. He had all the tools already (which I didn't have) and the touch (which I also don't have) because he tints for a living. After watching him, I KNOW I would've messed it up, so I'm glad I decided to take it there. My buddy is going to bring over his digital camera later so I can take pictures, because my camera sucks. It looks great, IMO.

ATTN 2G TL OWNERS:
You will need a heat gun to install the Rockblocker tint
Old 01-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Banned

really, everytime i do something on ym car, i sometimes fuck another thing up (went to plastic polish my dash, fucked up on the sanding didnt remove the lines, then painted it) another time i (did led gauges on both cars, fucked up the needle, had to pull it out and put it back in, still doesnt work 100% but still reads somewhat accurate........) but other than that i dont hesitate to do it again, there are times when im afraid, but still i dont want to be mechanically handicap, and i still feel happy of a job well done.....
Old 01-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PenancE
really, everytime i do something on ym car, i sometimes fuck another thing up (went to plastic polish my dash, fucked up on the sanding didnt remove the lines, then painted it) another time i (did led gauges on both cars, fucked up the needle, had to pull it out and put it back in, still doesnt work 100% but still reads somewhat accurate........) but other than that i dont hesitate to do it again, there are times when im afraid, but still i dont want to be mechanically handicap, and i still feel happy of a job well done.....
I feel like that, but then every time I do something with my car, all the mistakes have been small and cosmetic... You really should've tried the tinting yourself because a job well done is something to be proud of and once you get into it, you'll get better

Oh, and if you're nervous but actually want to do some mods yourself, i'll bet that your local community college has some sort of auto mechanics class that you can take at night for real cheap... that might be a good way to build your confidence and knowledge
Old 01-12-2007, 04:27 PM
No He Can't

Originally Posted by speedbawlinTL
I feel like that, but then every time I do something with my car, all the mistakes have been small and cosmetic... You really should've tried the tinting yourself because a job well done is something to be proud of and once you get into it, you'll get better

Oh, and if you're nervous but actually want to do some mods yourself, i'll bet that your local community college has some sort of auto mechanics class that you can take at night for real cheap... that might be a good way to build your confidence and knowledge
I'm at a university and already taking night classes there. I do other work on my car, like stereo, just installed all superwhite 12LEDs from Superbrightleds.com, followed the DIY for the cabin air filter.

The tint would've been too easy to mess up myself and I didn't have the tools to do it either.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:43 AM
10th Gear

i used a blow dryer to put mine on.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:18 PM
No He Can't

Originally Posted by black3.2_tl
i used a blow dryer to put mine on.
I don't have one.. I have a buzz cut and I have two guy roommates with short hair as well..
Old 01-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Senior Moderator

You could use a hair dryer. ANd seeing you dont have one i bet you could get one at walmart for 10 bucks or so.
But good deal you got it on