Road & Track article

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 10:39 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road & Track article

Did anyone catch the most recent R&T article. Positive about TL Type-S but listed 0-60 @ 7 seconds! In the back of the magazine there is a table listings most cars with price and specs. That chart lists the regular TL as 0-60 in 7.2 secs. What gives?
Old 08-11-2001, 10:53 AM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
Yea, we talked about this before.....the TL-S they tested must have been a real dog......or something is definitely up. There is no way a TL-S only goes 0-60 in 7.0 and through the 1/4 mile in 15.3.
Old 08-11-2001, 11:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the world or realistic automotive journalism!

I'll put $100.00 down that says NO ONE on this board (given the proper instrumentation) will achieve the heroic 6.28 seconds to 60mph stat that MT acheived during their $40K car shootout.

6.6 to 7.0 is very much the NORM.

And 14.8 to 15.3 is also the comparable norm in the 1/4 ET dept.

Sorry for the rude awakening, care for a mint?
Old 08-11-2001, 02:57 PM

Hey PeterUbers,

Well, you have to check out the bottom of the article where they have a comparison to the two other cars the TL-S competes with. They say that the IS300 Auto does 0-60 in 7.1 and does the 1/4 mile in 15.3 (same 1/4 mile as the Tl-S) and the BMW 330ci AUTO going 0-60 in 6.5 sec. So basically, their saying that an IS300 is as fast as the TL-S and a 330 Auto is faster than a TL-S. GIVE ME A BREAK. I beat my friends 330ci manual twice already and he is a damn good stick driver. And don't even let me begin saying how bad the TL-S will piss on an IS300 auto in any accleleration test........
Old 08-11-2001, 03:09 PM
Safety Car

Hey 2k2...

If you think your TL-S will achieve 6.3 seconds to 60 w/ the proper instrumentation, then I leave it up to you to go conduct the testing, and POST your results. Next, go take your TL-S to the track and post your sub-15.0 second 1/4-mile ET. I leave it up to you. I'm sure your buddy can shift better than Rochelle or Shumacher <ha ha> but races can go either way, w/ different vehicles and different condtions.

You don't think, in the entire world of street racing, that some BMW 330i manual went up against a TL-S and the BMW won? You don't think some IS300 brake-torqued heavily before launching against a TL-S and was w/in a 1/2-car length to the 1/4-mile? Do you understand how elevation, road conditions, and temperature can adversly affect different cars in different ways? Do you understand how RWD cars can launch better than FWD cars. I know you do, so let's please just admit that at the drag strip, it can go back and forth, depending on how you launch the vehicle, and based on the day's conditions.

You can't make universal statements like "The TL-S will always beat a 330Ci manual and an IS300" .. You haven't driven your car at sea level, and then at 4000 ft, and then at 60 degree at sea level, and then at 72 degrees at 3200 ft.... you haven't covered every single variable, therefore, you can't make blanket statements like that.

BTW .. I've raced MANY times, an acquaintance at my health club that drives a silver 330Ci convertible (heavier than the hardtop), and he's beaten me every time, and he doesn't even dump the clutch, he slips it at 1700 rpms. I can only imagine what the winning margin would be if he had the hardtop w/o the extra weight of the convertible. Hmmm, am I a bad auto. driver? Hell no, all you do is mash the gas, there is no skill involved other than brake-torquing, I don't care what anyone says about that.

BTW, I'm not bashing what you've said, I'm just adding another two cents. That makes four. Now, how about that mint?

Pete
Old 08-11-2001, 03:37 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
This is a pissing match neither of you can win...

However, Peter, the consensus of published information, which arguably reflects a population of cars tested by a variety of drivers under a variety of conditions, does not seem to support your anecdotal information, esp. about the capabilities of the 330 convertible.

Thanks for the mint - it was deleicious - do you have any european style licorice?
Old 08-11-2001, 04:33 PM
Instructor

Pete,
some of these guy's truly believe the TL-S is some kind of rocket. These are nice cars but by no means do they define "FAST" They just can't enjoy the car for what it is so they defend it when it falls short. They really need the article to say their car is faster than the BMW or AUDI or whatever because none of them are going to race anyway. Here in the swamp we call that a alligator mouth with a humming bird ass. Oh well, my wife thinks she fast in the thing too, so I get a kick out of that...

Liv'n below sea level......
Old 08-11-2001, 06:22 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by RHINO928
Pete,
some of these guy's truly believe the TL-S is some kind of rocket. These are nice cars but by no means do they define "FAST" They just can't enjoy the car for what it is so they defend it when it falls short. They really need the article to say their car is faster than the BMW or AUDI or whatever because none of them are going to race anyway. Here in the swamp we call that a alligator mouth with a humming bird ass. Oh well, my wife thinks she fast in the thing too, so I get a kick out of that...

Liv'n below sea level......

Amen, brother.

Hey, it's all good, let 'em believe what they want, it'll all be proven out on the street anyways. At least myself and a few others on this board can be realistic, and not rely on the mystical numbers reported by some magazines that always seemed to be under fire about statistics they produce for other cars as well, not just the TL-S. (C&D article proposing the S2000 at 13.9 seconds, then re-reporting it to be 14.4 seconds.. hmmm). Like I've said before, why don't we all just get it out in the open, the TL-S is faster than anything out there, we're all superstar drivers, and we're all hung like... well, even Rhino sees where THIS anecdote is going.

Rhino --

I'm sure they've all received their TL-S's from the "Fast Batch" over at the Acura factory. Maybe Acura will offer some type of incentive for those who's vehicles don't produce the 6.3/14.7 times as posted at the Motortrend Dream Factory.

How about a free bottle of leatherette conditioner?
Peace.
Old 08-11-2001, 07:05 PM
Cruisin'

Didn't a member named Zodiaq run his TL-S and got a 15.1 at the track recently?. That's with the intake and headers too. The TL- seems to be a low 15 sec car most of the time. It's really not a world beater like some on here would lead you to believe.
Old 08-11-2001, 07:21 PM
AC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, I agree with Peter. My friend's 2001 330i 5spd has yet to lose to a CLS/TLS. He's raced that combo 6 times and has beaten them on average of 1 car length to 60. Maybe he has a "fast batch" from BMW as Peter stated... But I'm sure most of you won't believe what I just stated because you hit 60 in MT's time.

Enjoy the ride~!
Old 08-11-2001, 08:10 PM

I am in no way saying the TL-S is the fastest car in the world or consistently capebale of 14.7 or 14.8 at the track. Magazine times are consistently "optimistic" when compared to times one would run at the track. For R&T to say a TL-S runs 15.3 in the 1/4 mile suggests you'll be running a 15.7 or so. Personally, I refuse to accept such a weak time (I'm gonna take my car to the track and then I'll be completely conviced). Also, to say either that an IS300 Auto is as quick as a TL-S or a BMW 330ci AUTO is quicker than a TL-S is just pure B.S.

You know, I agree with Peter. My friend's 2001 330i 5spd has yet to lose to a CLS/TLS. He's raced that combo 6 times and has beaten them on average of 1 car length to 60. Maybe he has a "fast batch" from BMW as Peter stated... But I'm sure most of you won't believe what I just stated because you hit 60 in MT's time.
Let the 330ci manual race a TL-S/CL-S to 100 MPH. By 60 i was down on my friend by 1/2 a car length. But I started pulling on him in 3rd gear of the TL-S. Happened twice already in our races.
Old 08-11-2001, 08:31 PM
AC
Drifting

Originally posted by 2k2SilverTL-S
I am in no way saying the TL-S is the fastest car in the world or consistently capebale of 14.7 or 14.8 at the track. Magazine times are consistently "optimistic" when compared to times one would run at the track. For R&T to say a TL-S runs 15.3 in the 1/4 mile suggests you'll be running a 15.7 or so. Personally, I refuse to accept such a weak time (I'm gonna take my car to the track and then I'll be completely conviced). Also, to say either that an IS300 Auto is as quick as a TL-S or a BMW 330ci AUTO is quicker than a TL-S is just pure B.S.

Let the 330ci manual race a TL-S/CL-S to 100 MPH. By 60 i was down on my friend by 1/2 a car length. But I started pulling on him in 3rd gear of the TL-S. Happened twice already in our races.
I take your word for it, at least you're realistic about what the TLS can do. Most people can't grasp the fact that the 330Ci 5spd can potentially be faster than the TLS. In your case, you've experienced that a 330Ci was faster than you to 60.

And I agree with you, I don't believe the TLS would be running 15.7, but I do believe that it can run a consistent low 15's a lot more than it can run consistent hih 14's.

I've never driven the 330Ci auto so I don't know how fast and responsive it it. But I will say this, their SS is much more responsive than ours.

Now why is it BS that an IS300 or 330CiA is "as" quick as a TLS? I believe that the IS300 may not be as fast but sure's hell do think the 330CiA is as fast and frankly I think both the 330Ci and TLS would give each other a hell of a run. I don't think it would be a lob sided result as I firmly believe it would go either way many times, but according to some here, it can't happen. And I think that's the point Peter and I were trying to make. Hell, I think the TLS potentially would take my 540i to 60mph and I would never doubt that fact.
Old 08-12-2001, 01:27 AM
Safety Car

AC,

You and I have been, along w/ a handful of others, some of the few, brave, level-headed, realistic guys on this board. Thank you for your honesty, and your objectivity.

2k2 -- I trust you've beaten your BMW friend back to back... let that simply prove that your TL-S can beat his BMW on any given day. Yours, and his. Case closed.

Let us know when you get back from the track, I'll be interested to see what you run.

Pete
Old 08-12-2001, 12:20 PM
AC
Drifting

Well said my friend!

BTW, do you know if the E 430 has a 4 matic option? I am like an inch away from getting my wife a 2001 since I could get a deal on one. Give me your opinion...
My local MB dealer called and offered a Silver 2001 E430 with
Navi
Heated Seats
Sunroof
CD changer
Xenon
Multi Contour seats
Sports Package (BTW, he was saying K1, K2, K something package for all the crap)
For $56, 750

What you think? Good buy or wait for the 02 models?

I've been waiting for the next gen E class but it turns out that it will not arrive til next October and wife finally said she can't wait that long.

Oh sorry for th OT post, and 2K2 I'm looking forward to hearing you track experience my friend and good luck!
Old 08-12-2001, 12:45 PM
Safety Car

AC,

The E430 most certainly does come in the 4-matic trim, for an additional $2750.00. It's a little sluggish compared w/ the RWD E430, but commandeers over the E320, in any trim.

The 2001 model year introduced the E430 4-matic, thus, my dreams of owning a V8 powered, midwest weather-proof German car will be put on hold for a few more years. The 4-matic is not as smooth or consoling as the Quattro, as I have experienced, but it certainly manages the job in the thickest snow falls we've seen here in the Chicagoland area to date.

The new E-class, from what I understand will exude the personality of the S-Class from the inside, and if you haven't seen the outside, -- look out -- I'll post a pic so you can have a good "drool session" as I have after looking at it. If I were you, I'd reap the incentives of purchasing the E430 4-matic right before the 2002 models hit the dealer lots.

$57,000 is a very fair price w/ all those options (brand new right? not predriven w/ a few hundred miles on it .. do NOT buy that one, they've driven the hell outta it in test drives). The sport package is sweet, those sleek 17" high-polished aluminum rims are a perfect pairing w/ the sport body trim. The ASR and ESP will usually suit you fairly well in the inclement weather, however, the car will probably come stock w/ lowprofile, unidirectional tires -- you'll probably want a set of 16" rims/winter tires for the unseasonal months -- depending on what kind of weather you see of course. So figure another $2000.00 for that.

Let me know what you decide on -- I know you'll be blown away by the new E-class .. but you may decide the incentives are the way to go -- looking forward to your decision!

PEte
Old 08-12-2001, 12:59 PM
AC
Drifting

Originally posted by PeterUbers
AC,

The E430 most certainly does come in the 4-matic trim, for an additional $2750.00. It's a little sluggish compared w/ the RWD E430, but commandeers over the E320, in any trim.

The 2001 model year introduced the E430 4-matic, thus, my dreams of owning a V8 powered, midwest weather-proof German car will be put on hold for a few more years. The 4-matic is not as smooth or consoling as the Quattro, as I have experienced, but it certainly manages the job in the thickest snow falls we've seen here in the Chicagoland area to date.

The new E-class, from what I understand will exude the personality of the S-Class from the inside, and if you haven't seen the outside, -- look out -- I'll post a pic so you can have a good "drool session" as I have after looking at it. If I were you, I'd reap the incentives of purchasing the E430 4-matic right before the 2002 models hit the dealer lots.

$57,000 is a very fair price w/ all those options (brand new right? not predriven w/ a few hundred miles on it .. do NOT buy that one, they've driven the hell outta it in test drives). The sport package is sweet, those sleek 17" high-polished aluminum rims are a perfect pairing w/ the sport body trim. The ASR and ESP will usually suit you fairly well in the inclement weather, however, the car will probably come stock w/ lowprofile, unidirectional tires -- you'll probably want a set of 16" rims/winter tires for the unseasonal months -- depending on what kind of weather you see of course. So figure another $2000.00 for that.

Let me know what you decide on -- I know you'll be blown away by the new E-class .. but you may decide the incentives are the way to go -- looking forward to your decision!

PEte
Thanx Peter, actually I put a deposit down on a next gen E Class last August thinking that the new E (S classesque) will hit showrooms this October. I was told that they would not arrive til Oct. 02 in which my wife refuses to wait that long. And considering the AC broke in my TL was another incentive for my wife to b*tch about the new car. Yes, by all means let the drool sessions begin and post away my friend as I only got looks or conceptual drawings of the new E.

The price quoted by my dealer is for a new 2001 and if the new body style comes out this year then I don't care about saving some bucks I'll just suck it up and buy the new one. Any and all info on this would be awesome and I think I will stick with the 4Matic no matter what year E 430 I end up getting. Thanx Peter!

You Da' Man!!!
Old 08-12-2001, 03:09 PM
Not a Blowhole

Hey AC and PU - when is the wedding? This is some of the most self-congratulatory stuff I have seen on the forum.

The TL-S is beyond question faster than the 3-series. Fast means top speed by all journalistic convention, and the 3-series is speed limited below the TL's top speed.

If you want to (and have) debate quickness, that is another thing.

One question - why should your anecdotal comments have any more meanng than the car mags? At least they have the numbers to back up their claims, unless you are suggesting a "vast right wing conspriracy" against Germany in favor of Japan - heck, the Bimmers always get raves, even though their quality is iffy and their customer relations has been, in my experience based on owning three of them, and in my journalistic experience viewing thier reponses to problems (the V8 cylinder wall erosion, the 1.8L head gaskets, the radiator tank meltdowns), rather poor.
Old 08-12-2001, 04:51 PM
AC
Drifting

Originally posted by Road Rage
Hey AC and PU - when is the wedding? This is some of the most self-congratulatory stuff I have seen on the forum.

The TL-S is beyond question faster than the 3-series. Fast means top speed by all journalistic convention, and the 3-series is speed limited below the TL's top speed.

If you want to (and have) debate quickness, that is another thing.

One question - why should your anecdotal comments have any more meanng than the car mags? At least they have the numbers to back up their claims, unless you are suggesting a "vast right wing conspriracy" against Germany in favor of Japan - heck, the Bimmers always get raves, even though their quality is iffy and their customer relations has been, in my experience based on owning three of them, and in my journalistic experience viewing thier reponses to problems (the V8 cylinder wall erosion, the 1.8L head gaskets, the radiator tank meltdowns), rather poor.
HaHa!

I could understand you point of view as BMW's were notorious for their V8 issues. The current gen V8's are IMO a lot more stable and reliable. We all have our share of problems, for example my TL's AC broke yesterday with only31K miles on the car. Yet I had never, ever expected that from a Honda product yet it happened. I am not upset by any means that this happened since I am a believer that nothing will last forever and nothing is ever made perfectly. I totally agree, BMW customer service SUCKS A$$! They need to take a note from the pages of Lexus. I agree with Peter because being an owner of a TLS, he is one of the first to admit that the car is not what most people here think it is. I love my TL for what it was created for, although the "car mags" state that my TL hits 60 in whatever time does that make my car faster than ALL IS300 simply cuz a car mag said in their tests that it was. I think the point we were trying to make was because one person "smoked" a 330Ci doesn't mean that all 330Ci's are "slow" as some here may put it.

BTW, I commend you for your writing skills and technique. I haven't seen such strong grammar since my profesor in college. I remember you said you got your MBA or PhD in something, but it was kinda not related to your current career, I think. Anyway, hats off to you my friend. And personally, I enjoy reading your posts.
Old 08-12-2001, 05:29 PM
Racer

At least they have the numbers to back up their claims, unless you are suggesting a "vast right wing conspriracy" against Germany in favor of Japan - heck, the Bimmers always get raves, even though their quality is iffy and their customer relations has been, in my experience based on owning three of them, and in my journalistic experience viewing thier reponses to problems (the V8 cylinder wall erosion, the 1.8L head gaskets, the radiator tank meltdowns), rather poor.
Wow, that's a long sentence.
Old 08-12-2001, 05:45 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Come on, guys... lets face it.. sure TL-S is fast for the price.... but trust me that 330i 5-speed in an experienced driver would have our A$$ hand back to us.. 330i Auto may NOT be faster than TL-S, but it would be very close, and it would run 0-60, 1/4 miles at much more consistant rate(German cars seem to perform more consistant)....

And if we really want to compare... maybe we should do 0-100-0 tests....

Andy Kuo
Old 08-12-2001, 05:45 PM
Advanced

How much web time has been spent on "my car is faster than your car!" Does it matter? Just enjoy the damn car - period! Remember, there are no absolutes!! Our TL - S's are faster than some, slower than others. Nuff said...

"Remember - Life begins when you Type - S!":o
Old 08-12-2001, 09:16 PM
Instructor

And if we really want to compare... maybe we should do 0-100-0 tests....

Andy Kuo [/B][/QUOTE]

I saw a 0-150-0 test and a AMG Benz did it in under 17 seconds.
That was the 2nd place finish!!!!! A vette won by .5 seconds!!!!

THAT'S FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2001, 10:54 PM
Advanced

Lets face it... racing stock cars on the street is nothing short of idiotic. It's dangerous. You either know who will win, or you know that it will be so close that it isn't worth risking people's lives. I'm not opposed to a race to the speed limit from a light if traffic permits... but a lot of people are stupid and will push it to 90+ mph.

This weekend I had some retard in a riced out Civic tear ass by me from a left turn at a stoplight. Did I whoop his ass? No. He's a dip****. He can have the speeding ticket and the associated insurance hike.

I'm beginning to wonder if TL-S owners really enjoy their cars. All I hear is that the car is such a great value and how people here have to race everything they see.

To drive around trying to get people in more expensive cars than yours to race just so you can feel good about your 'great value' merits the 'DORK' badge.

Enjoy your car, or buy one you can enjoy without having to prove your manhood on the street everyday.
Old 08-13-2001, 12:59 AM
Intermediate

Red face

LOL !
Old 08-13-2001, 03:56 AM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

[i]I saw a 0-150-0 test and a AMG Benz did it in under 17 seconds.
That was the 2nd place finish!!!!! A vette won by .5 seconds!!!!

THAT'S FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/B]
Heh, the C32 AMG is incredibly fast!!! Probably is the fastest, production Sports Sedan you can buy on the market today....

From some UK auto magazines, they clock C32 AMG doing 0-60 in 4.5 sec, 0-100 in 13 flat... That's one hella car..

Andy Kuo
Old 08-13-2001, 09:31 AM
Instructor

i think we should write to the editor.. check the edmunds.com video.. comparison on near luxury sedans of TLS.. why TLS was #1 choice instead of BMW 330i...
basically.. editor was giving a fault information.. for the money.. I meant to say road & Track is giving fault information for money.. not edmunds.com.
Old 08-13-2001, 11:34 AM
Safety Car

One question - why should your anecdotal comments have any more meanng than the car mags? At least they have the numbers to back up their claims, unless you are suggesting a "vast right wing conspriracy" against Germany in favor of Japan -
..and why should your opinion matter any more than mine? Regarding the "vast right...blah blah," please save your conspiracy theories for the classroom and/or your M.U.F.O.N. forum discussions . I haven't suggested that BMW's are better/worse than Acura product, we're debating as to whether or not it is possible that the TL-S can lose in an acceleration duel to a BMW or IS300.

If you want to argue the point that the TL-S can potentially "lose" to the IS300/330Ci in a test of "quickness," (as you have aptly differentiated from the test of "top speed"), and if you want to further argue this online in this format, then we must all take each others' words as factual encounters/rendevous w/ the cars in question. 2k2 says he can consistently beat BMW 330Ci in the manual trim, but he's only raced his friend's BMW. Did I say he didn't beat his friend's Bmw, no, I acknowledged it. Can a TL-S beat a manual BMW 330Ci every time they race (to a certain speed), no, because I have my own experience that suggests otherwise, and we must assume this to be fact as well.

Sure magazines have statistics to back up their performance testing, they also have the new fangled instrumentation to measure these figures. The do not mention, however, how they drove their cars to achieve the numbers ... what rpm did they drop clutch @, did the slip the clutch or dump it? Did the brake-torque, and if so, to what rpm -- traction control on or off? And to a greater extreme, what was the frictional coefficient (mu) static AND rolling of the road surface that day?
Old 08-13-2001, 12:36 PM
Not a Blowhole

The conspiracy thing is an attempt at humor.

What is a MUFON?
Old 08-13-2001, 12:42 PM
Racer

Uhh, my dad is better than your dad!

Who cares...6.28, 7.0, 6.7, etc., etc. So either my car or a 330 is 0.1 of a second faster or slower. Why do you all spend so much time arguing over times? Have I missed something here? If you want to brag about speed, we don't have the car. Go get a Porshe, Corvette, etc. Stop bragging about your times! But if you must, go buy a truly fast car!
Old 08-13-2001, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by nickchop

Who cares...6.28, 7.0, 6.7, etc., etc. So either my car or a 330 is 0.1 of a second faster or slower. Why do you all spend so much time arguing over times? Have I missed something here? If you want to brag about speed, we don't have the car. Go get a Porshe, Corvette, etc. Stop bragging about your times! But if you must, go buy a truly fast car!
Well said... I will add this, don't think just because you have a Porsche, Vette, Stang or whatever, that you are automatically in the "fast lane" If you do buy one it does not mean your car is fast because such & such Magazine said my car runs this@1/4 mile. Think of this - Jeff Gordon won AGAIN this weekend.... Was it the car or the driver? If you answered car, that means next weekend we can strap you in and you can rub fenders with JR. and the boys and we'll see you in the winners circle- RIGHT?
My point is this: Post how fast YOUR car is after you run it 1320 feet and maybe it will be faster OR SLOWER than whatever article you read. Do not assume that you can beat someone because "Racecar Weekly"said so. I regularly take money from guys who have beat'n a Porsche before. Little do they know that my car has more invested in mod's than the cost of a new TL-S. When I leave them like they are chained to a tree the first words out of there mouth is " I raced one of these cars and beat it bad!" My answer for them is this " You just got your asz strapped by this one, wanna go double or nothing?"

sboje - lighten up, just because you race within the speed limit does not make it safe. I do not race unless there is money involved. And when I do race on the street it is somewhere traffic will NOT come into play, a industrial park with little to no activity on weekends has served this purpose very well...... Racing has nothing to do with my manhood, although it is something I take more serious than others.... I would bet that less than 5% of people on this board have ever raced for $$$$$$ in their lives!!!!
BUT 95% talk about their cars performance and it will beat this or that and I do agree that it gets old.... but it's a PRIDE thing most of us have... The real humor are those topics titled "just smoked a A4" "first kill IS300" you know the type... I let people beat me at stop lights so I can lure them to the industrial park... for CASH!!
The TL-S is a nice car that runs good. Is it a factory race car?? far from it. Although with a Supercharger and some weight reduction it may make a good "sleeper" and I could sucker in those unsuspecting sport car types...... hmmmmmmm...
I have a sick mind when it comes to racing!!!!!!!!!!

Peace
Old 08-13-2001, 04:56 PM
Safety Car

The conspiracy thing is an attempt at humor.

What is a MUFON?
Mutual UFO Network

I don't think of all this as an argument. Rather, this is more of a thoughtful debate . It's a nice change of pace from discussing "creaks and rattles" and warranty issues.

Maybe Jeff Gordon could get the TL-S to go 0-60mph in 6.28seconds (note how most people don't even want to round up to 6.3 .. ) and 14.7 in the 1/4 mile.
Old 08-13-2001, 06:41 PM
Instructor

Mutual UFO Network

Maybe Jeff Gordon could get the TL-S to go 0-60mph in 6.28seconds (note how most people don't even want to round up to 6.3 .. ) and 14.7 in the 1/4 mile.
I let Jeff drive mine and he turned a 14.61....... against a Maxima none the less......... yeh, that's the ticket!!!!
Old 08-13-2001, 09:00 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm sure they've all received their TL-S's from the "Fast Batch" over at the Acura factory. Maybe Acura will offer some type of incentive for those who's vehicles don't produce the 6.3/14.7 times as posted at the Motortrend Dream Factory.

How about a free bottle of leatherette conditioner?
Peace.
Would you and Rhino like some Octane Booster for your Slow Batch?

Having been an ex-auto mechanic I can tell you from personal experience that there is such a thing. Whatever you call it, some are slower or faster than others. Just like some come out without defects and others are lemons. Don't think so? Look at how many people have posted a problem while others haven't? It's the same with the powertrain. Some are done right and others . . . well they got a slow one.

So a range of 6.28 to 7.1 would not be total unrealistic.

And this isn't a bunch of bull. It's facts based on my former profession.

BTW - I've beaten 2 M3's that are supposed to be 6.4 second cars stock. Once was slightly modifed and the other was a manual. I could tell from him showing off before the race. He didn't show off much after I beat him by 1/2 a car length.

I guess mine must be a fast one.

RUF
Old 08-13-2001, 10:38 PM
Safety Car

I believe there can be variations, but we can take your logic two steps further and say:

one person broke his TL-S in better than the other person -- one person drove it hard from day 1, the other pampered it for 2000 miles until he opened it up.

Perhaps one person's car has better tread, or is running cooler than the other if his car has only been crusing for ten minutes vs. someone who's been driving around for hours...

One person weighs more, has a full tank of gas, while another is anorexic, and is running on empty.

The same logic applies to the M3's you've raced and beaten. They could be from the BMW "slow batch," if such a thing exists (I think UFO's are more likely, but I'd believe it). I've raced a modded CL-S (headers, intake, V-AFC) and won to 80 mph, but after we got out and discussed our run, I realized his V-AFC wasn't letting him shift past 5000 rpms. Did I beat him, sh*t yeah!

I've also seen timeslip after timeslip after timeslip on the CL-S board of people running 15.0+ w/ intake/headers .. and only a select handful that are running sub-15.0 1/4's. However, they all ran in very hot, humid weather (on average). We all, .. all of us on this board.. should have all our cars flat-bedded to a track, w/in minutes of all of us starting our cars, we should just go at it.
Old 08-13-2001, 11:21 PM
Lead Footed

I believe there can be variations, but we can take your logic two steps further and say:

one person broke his TL-S in better than the other person -- one person drove it hard from day 1, the other pampered it for 2000 miles until he opened it up.

Perhaps one person's car has better tread, or is running cooler than the other if his car has only been crusing for ten minutes vs. someone who's been driving around for hours...

One person weighs more, has a full tank of gas, while another is anorexic, and is running on empty.

The same logic applies to the M3's you've raced and beaten. They could be from the BMW "slow batch," if such a thing exists (I think UFO's are more likely, but I'd believe it). I've raced a modded CL-S (headers, intake, V-AFC) and won to 80 mph, but after we got out and discussed our run, I realized his V-AFC wasn't letting him shift past 5000 rpms. Did I beat him, sh*t yeah!

I've also seen timeslip after timeslip after timeslip on the CL-S board of people running 15.0+ w/ intake/headers .. and only a select handful that are running sub-15.0 1/4's. However, they all ran in very hot, humid weather (on average). We all, .. all of us on this board.. should have all our cars flat-bedded to a track, w/in minutes of all of us starting our cars, we should just go at it.

Peter Peter - you were suppose to laugh and go out and buy some octane booster.

Any, all of these things are possible and I've even raised some of these same points as to how it was possible for me to have beaten faster cars.

That said. It is true that all cars coming off the assembly line are not created equal. So if you get a fast one and can drive it to the hilt. Then you can beat a faster car that just happened to be a slow one and or maybe a bad driver to boot.

As for the track. I'm actully planning on driving to one as soon as the heat lets up. No sense comparing the mag times that were posted in cooler weather to 100+ temp runs. If I do I will certainly post and see if I got a fast one or not. And if I'm still any good. :p I haven't been on a track in about 15 years or so.

RUF
Old 08-13-2001, 11:25 PM
Lead Footed

[B I've raced a modded CL-S (headers, intake, V-AFC) and won to 80 mph, but after we got out and discussed our run, I realized his V-AFC wasn't letting him shift past 5000 rpms. Did I beat him, sh*t yeah!

And technically you were the faster car in that race.

We all, .. all of us on this board.. should have all our cars flat-bedded to a track, w/in minutes of all of us starting our cars, we should just go at it. [/B]

Yeah! Now you're talking. So when you guys coming down to Dallas?

That would be great though. If I were still single and didn't have the baggage a road trip would be in order.

ROF
Old 08-13-2001, 11:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Ruf is absolutely correct. Just because the car is rated at a certain HP doesnt mean it cant be over. There are good batches and bad batches. I've seen bone stock Type-R Tegs pumping out more HP on a dyno at the same time where another one produced the stock 190hp. So that 1st teg could still pump out more HP than the other one even if the 2nd one was modded. Tolerances can vary from engine to engine, part to part producing small increases/decreases in power. How they all come together will tell whether you have one from the "good batch" or "bad" one. If one is more in sync with the actual blueprints it can most definitely produce more ponies than one that is not.

As far as launching an A/T goes and how most rags do it, they most definitely brake torque the engine before launching, and many will state that outright, its no secret. Doing that will get a better time than just flooring it from zero throttle. The only quicker way may be doing a neutral drop, but I dont think anyone here wants to do that.

Everything that you state that could explain the fast times that were found for the TL-S can be said for all vehicles even the ones the TL-S is being compared to. You say that MT's numbers are from a dream factory, but in the same sense any number for any car from any source can be said to just come from some dream factory. Why should any more credence be given to the numbers published for the beemers, audis, Lexus, mercedes, etc than is given to numbers for the TL-S? I dont understand. Do you have a more authoratative source to go from?? Of course not, but until there is one we can only go by what we have right now. Sorry but the only people who have the equipment you seek are the autorags whose numbers you dont trust anyway.

But unlike AC you actually extensively drive a TL-S so your evalutions of its performance come from more than what your friends told you or from a short stint behind the wheel, and will carry more weight with me.

Pete may I ask if you are you actually happy with the performance of your car?? From your recent posts it seems like you do nothing but put down and disbelieve anyone who claims they beat a 3 series BMW or anyother make that performs similar to the Type-S. In the same way that you say that cars such as a 330 A/T convertible can beat the TL-S(which I wouldnt expect to happen the majority of the time), the opposite holds true and the Type-S can beat them as well. You keep saying that either car can win, but in your posts you are always assuming the other car should have won. All these stories are just based on personal encounters just like yours. Their stories carry as much weight as yours do, not any less.

Most of these guys arent saying they raced 911 turbos, ZO6's, or Vipers, just cars like the 325, 330, IS300 which produce similar times to the TL-S. Excluding the 330 manual which runs neck and neck with the TL-S, when going by what most rags have found the TL-S has produced the quicker times. So I dont see why its so hard to believe that someone on this board could post something that goes in line with what the majority of the publications have also found. Since this is a TL forum many here will expect the TL-S to always win based on rag numbers, but it wont, in the same breath, you may expect a 330 convertible to hand me my derriere, but it wont always do that either; such is life. If things were that predictable, this place would be pretty boring wouldnt it? When I was going to school they always told me that when it comes to medicine there is no such thing as always or never. If anyone ever asks you a question containing those key phrases, then it is always wrong. I think that applies to many things and that the same definitely applies here.

This really is getting tedious, who here thinks I should just shut down all these my daddy's bigger than your daddy threads as soon as I see them without prejudice??
Old 08-14-2001, 08:39 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Mr Hyde
[

This really is getting tedious, who here thinks I should just shut down all these my daddy's bigger than your daddy threads as soon as I see them without prejudice?? [/B]
Who said anything about each other dad's? The LAST thing needed here is for you to moderate this thread!!!!! What, should we go back to "what tire dressing works best" "how many times to do you wash your car" "what's your age" " de-badge or not"
WEAK!!!!!! This thread is one of the most active threads on the board, and you want to shut it down..... NO ONE has put personal slams insults or anything of the sort, so why would you shut it down? Because someone has a different view about the TL-S's performance than you? This is America last I checked and we are all entitled to our own view. Many on this board want to make everyone believe that the TL-S redefined FAST.. Pete and a few others have simply stated a more realistic view that is different than yours and for you it's now "tedious". C'mon This forum is here for people to state their view's , experiences, opinions etc... Do you really see a need to shut this down? Or because you don't like some of the opinions you will now envoke your Superpowers.... Give me a break!!
Old 08-14-2001, 08:57 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Ruf87

Would you and Rhino like some Octane Booster for your Slow Batch?

RUF
If I decide to enhance my TL-S for performance, you can bet that it will have ALOT more than Octane Boost or Comptech headers...... When it comes to building racecars, I set mine on "KILL" Besides, I did not say mine was fast - slow or anything.
Also, I did not quote magazine articles to say how fast MY TL-S is...................... or isn't...
Old 08-14-2001, 11:53 AM
Safety Car

Mr. Hyde,

I am in no way slamming, or insulting the TL-S. If I felt as negatively about the TL-S as you suggest I do, I would have already traded it in for an S4, or an M3. You are incorrect to suggest that I slam on people for saying they beat BMW 3-series -- I acknowledged and commended 2k2 for beating his friend's 3-series, I'll shake his hand and give him my lunch money if you feel that's appropriate as well .

Rhino's got it perfect -- this is a thoughtful debate, and a reality check. Hey, at least we're having the debate among ourselves, without any trolls..<ahem> I mean ..."visitors" from the IS300, BMW, AUDI, or Nissan boards.

"All these stories are just based on personal encounters just like yours. Their stories carry as much weight as yours do, not any less."

You are re-stating what I've said consistently on this thread, and other threads like this: whatever adverse conditions affect your car, will also affect your foe's on that particular given day. Hey, the BMW 330Xi ran 5.8 seconds 0-60mph, and I'm sure many BMW folk took it for gospel, but I'm sure actual Xi owners had a harder time reinventing that time! And you're also restated what I posted in another instance: We must assume everyone's story to be factual if they're going to post it (barring any outlandish stories), my encounters are my own, and everyone else's are theirs to cherish -- I know this, I said it before you did.

"Most of these guys arent saying they raced 911 turbos, ZO6's, or Vipers, just cars like the 325, 330, IS300 which produce similar times to the TL-S. Excluding the 330 manual which runs neck and neck with the TL-S, when going by what most rags have found the TL-S has produced the quicker times. So I dont see why its so hard to believe that someone on this board could post something that goes in line with what the majority of the publications have also found. "

When did I say people were calling the TL-S a faster ride than the ZO6's, Porsches, M3's.. etc? I never did. You're generalizing all my comments, adding a negative tone, and skewing the package to make me look like the mole among TL-S owners. I love the TL-S, and I'm realistic about the "sport nature" that was built into it over that the Dream Factory (a joke of mine and Rhino's that you've actually contoured into another potential hack at Acura on my part).

Oh, and what majority of mags produced the 6.3/14.7 numbers?
In fact, Hyde, all I did in my initial post on this thread was state that the 6.3/14.7 numbers are not indicative of actual owner's track results. In fact, and you can argue against this all you want, 7.1/15.2 is more realistic. BTW, we're all friends here, no one should presume we're attacking one another. Freedom of thought should be expressed at all times, while respecting other's opinions and rights. Peace to all.

Quick Reply: Road & Track article