Right way to lower a car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 11:03 AM
Happy with my STi!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Right way to lower a car?

What is the right way of lowering a car WITHOUT changing/affecting original specs (ex. without affecting alignment, etc.)? Well I know you start by changing the springs, maybe shocks, and maybe the camber kit, coilovers?, dampers?... but I am not sure how these things work together, could somebody explain why is it that when you lower your car too much you need to change all this? Also, many people just change springs and neglect the other components, which I assume is bad... so I want to know what is everything that must be done to lower a car properly... when lowering just a bit (H&R OEs) and more aggressive lowering (Comptech, H&R Sport, etc.)... Thanks and sorry if I keep buggin about lowering the car, its just that I wanna do it in the summer but I want it done right!
Old 04-21-2004, 12:09 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
Well when you lower a car it lowers it's center of gravity and by doing that it is no longer set to the factory specs and that is waht causes camber to change etc. In some cases camber kits aren't needed, in some they are. EACH AND EVERY single individual car is different in it's characteristics. W/ less aggressive springs replacing the shocks is often uneccesary. I think if you go lower then 1.75" it's a smart thing to do because the stock shocks are made for a long throw, and will not get that throw if you have a very short amount of travel. Aftermarket shocks are made to handle this.

So basically, lowering properly is up to the person. IMO and what I did was lowerd 2.5+ put on new struts/shocks, and did a camber kit.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

thats exactly what u should do. Imo, if ur gonna lower, don't just lower 1.5 inches. Go with something that'll give u like a one finger gap all around, change ur shocks too, and then get a camber kit unless u want to rotate your tires every month. The negative camber, however, will give u better cornering. Thats how u do it right
Old 04-21-2004, 12:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the term "right" depends on different people. My mind of the "right" way to do it is to get a full coilover / damper system (ie, Tein) with front/rear camber kit. Of course that's the most expensive and for some people not practical (ie, coilover maintainence, alignment and adjust camber for every height change, snow+salt, etc).

My "current" way to do it is H/R sports, no camber (since I did an alignment and it says I don't need it), and shocks.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:59 PM
Happy with my STi!

So if I get the H&R OEs I basically don't have to change anything right?
But if I get the H&R Sport I should change my shocks right? Which aftermarket shocks would you guys recommend for the H&R Sport? Also, so need of camber for the Sport?
Old 04-21-2004, 07:05 PM
Happy with my STi!

Originally Posted by Tatewaki
the term "right" depends on different people. My mind of the "right" way to do it is to get a full coilover / damper system (ie, Tein) with front/rear camber kit. Of course that's the most expensive and for some people not practical (ie, coilover maintainence, alignment and adjust camber for every height change, snow+salt, etc).

My "current" way to do it is H/R sports, no camber (since I did an alignment and it says I don't need it), and shocks.
How much is too expensive for the TEIN and camber kits?
Old 04-21-2004, 08:17 PM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Teins alone are 850, and if u want the EDFC, then thas like another 300, im not sure about the camber kits but u should be able to find the prices on this site.