Right about to get my new tl-s! few questions!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 09:28 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right about to get my new tl-s! few questions!

Hey guys, I just got back from a dealership. I have a couple of questions that need to be answered but first, a little bit about myself. I'm 17, about to be a senior in high school, this wil be my third car. My first was a 97' ES300 that I got last year in september. I got a few tickets and my parents made me trade cars with my sister for her 98' accord. Anyways, after a while with that car i'm ready to move on. The car I am about to purchase will last me throughout college, no questions. I've spent about 3 empathetic days weeping with the rest of you about the transmission problems, and despite that still want a tl-s. I went to a dealership today to look at a 2000 3.2tl with 61k miles that they were asking 12,900 for. Before I saw the car, I found out that the transmission had been replaced in January. When i got to the dealership, the car was sold and in a way I was relieved, it probably would have been a stupid purchase and the tranny wouldnt have lasted long at all. So on the way back, my mom and I stopped at an Acura dealership just for the hell of it and the guy working there pointed out a nice 02 tl-s with 56k miles on it. The car is in great shape but needs a new battery, needs some of the outter door pillars of the driver and passenger side painted/replaced, needs some trim "marble wood grain?" replaced, and needs the drivers silver lock for all doors thing replaced because it was torn off?? Anyways, after driving this car, I fell in love with it. My Accord is worth 4k and they want to give the car to me for 16,488, though they are advertising it online for about 3k more. Anyways, I can get this car if I want, but my biggest concern at the moment is that this car will last me. I am planning to get my mechanic to look at the car before I drive it off the lot if I purchase it and the dealer is replacing the above listed grievances before I take the car, free of charge of course. With the information I have listed and with the Carfax I am about to paste on this post, I would love it if anyone gives me any advice, tips, or suggestion. Since the car has a ways to go until it hits 100k and 7 years makes 2009 the limit to get the tranny replaced, that's not much of a worry for me. The car has passed the acura "70 point inspection" whatever that means and I wanted to get a warranty for the powertrain up to 100k but that's 2500, so that will not happen no matter what. Anyways, feel free to ask me any other questions about the car and i'll answer them the best I can. Here's the carfax.

CARFAX Vehicle History Report
2002 ACURA 3.2 TL TYPE-S
19UUA56892A016026
SEDAN 4 DR
3.2L V6 PFI SOHC 24V / FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
Standard Equipment | Safety Options
Acura Certified Pre-Owned - certified on 07/29/2006

CARFAX Vehicle History - At A Glance
• 4 billion vehicle history events checked from public and private sources
• Qualifies - CARFAX Buyback Guarantee
• One owner
• Last reported mileage - 56,871 miles

Summary
A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.
Tab
Ownership History Ownership History
The number of owners is estimated by CARFAX Owner 1
Year purchased 2001
Type of owner Lease
Estimated length of ownership
This vehicle has been identified as a 1-owner vehicle by CARFAX
4 years
Owned in the following states/provinces Florida
Estimated miles driven per year 11,680/yr
Last reported odometer reading 56,871

Title Problems Title Problems
CARFAX guarantees the information in this section Owner 1
Salvage | Junk | Rebuilt Guaranteed
No Problem
Fire/Flood | Hail Damage | Buyback/Lemon
This vehicle qualifies for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee
Guaranteed
No Problem
Not Actual Mileage | Exceeds Mechanical Limits Guaranteed
No Problem
GUARANTEED - None of these major title problems were reported by a state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If you find that any of these title problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back.

Other Information Other Information
Not all accidents or other issues are reported to CARFAX Owner 1
Frame Damage Check
No frame damage reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported
Airbag Deployment Check
No airbag deployment reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported
Odometer Rollback Check
No indication of an odometer rollback.

No Issues Indicated
Accident Check
No accidents reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported
Manufacturer Recall Check
Check with an authorized Acura dealer for any open recalls.

No Recalls Reported

DetailsGlossary
A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. CARFAX checked over 4 billion vehicle history events and found 15 record(s) for this 2002 ACURA 3.2 TL TYPE-S (19UUA56892A016026).

Owner 1
Purchased: 2001
Type: Lease
Where: Florida
Est. miles/year: 11,680/yr
Est. length owned: 7/22/01 - 8/9/05
(4 years)

ACURA

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
07/22/2001 230 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Roswell, GA
Title #0083737701 Odometer reading reported for title
or registration
07/30/2001 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Roswell, GA Registered as
lease vehicle
07/30/2001 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Roswell, GA
Title #0083737701 Title issued or updated
First owner reported
Loan or lien reported
Registered as lease vehicle
11/22/2002 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Miami, FL
Title #0083737701 Registration issued or renewed
Loan or lien reported
Registered as commercial vehicle
12/03/2003 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Miami, FL
Loan or lien reported
Vehicle color noted as Silver
12/16/2004 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Miami, FL
Loan or lien reported
Vehicle color noted as Silver
08/09/2005 55,215 Auto Auction Sold at auction
in Texas
Listed as
a fleet vehicle
08/18/2005 55,221 Dealer Inventory
El Dorado, AR Vehicle offered for sale
03/01/2006 56,521 Auto Auction Sold at auction
in Southwest Region
Listed as
a dealer vehicle
03/11/2006 Dealer Inventory
Shreveport, LA Vehicle offered for sale
05/03/2006 56,652 Auto Auction Sold at auction
in Texas
Listed as
a dealer vehicle
05/04/2006 56,684 Texas
Inspection Station
Plano, TX Passed safety inspection
Passed emissions inspection
05/09/2006 56,690 Dealer Inventory
Plano, TX Vehicle offered for sale
07/29/2006 56,871 Acura Certified Dealer Offered for sale as an Acura Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle
Not Reported Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale

Again, any comments, advice, tips about this car are greatly appreciated. This is a huge decision and this car HAS to last me for 4 years without problems. Thanks again everyone.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:23 PM
they go wooooot wooooot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think acura tl's are good cars...
Old 08-04-2006, 12:08 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
According to the CaFax report, it was sold at auctions three times in less than a year. What's the story behind that?

What's the dealer's explanation for the lock damage. Was the car stolen? Has it ever been in an accident?

Has it ever had mechanical problems?

If you don't like the smell of smoke, ask if it was kept smoke-free. It can be nearly impossible to completely get the smoke smell out of a car. Dealers wil often try to mask the smell with air fresheners or they will leave the windows open on the car when you take a look at it.)

Personally, I'd feel more comfortable buying from the original owner since they know the entire history of the car.

Bob
Old 08-04-2006, 01:13 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Something is fishy. A CPOed Acura should have all cosmetic repairs performed before its allowed to be sold. This dealer may be a crook, as the CPO inspection would not allow such items to slip by.

As for the transmission, just keep the fluid drained and refilled on a frequent basis, drive gently, and that's the best you can do.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:35 AM
05 Acura TL: a-spec

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
are your parents buying the car for you or what?
Old 08-04-2006, 02:46 AM
9th Gear

yes, my mom is buying the car (biggest reason I want to get a good, clean, reliable car). As far as certified the website and carfax says that but the dealer says there is a 30 day 3k miles warranty? i'm gonna have to clarify that. The dealer is fixing everything I have a problem with and the car is actually in really good condition except a few minor problems. The carfax is kind of weird, from what I deduced, this car has been for sale for about a year and has been to a few different auctions. This really confuses me. also, it says it's a fleet vehicle, I have no idea what that is, is it bad? The dealer is a reputed Acura dealer. They listed the car for sale on 7/29 and they are asking 19,800 (that is not what i'm paying, it will be less). I'm asking for the service records and if the carfax was bad why woudl the dealer give it so willingly (they gave it to me at the dealership) and the guy said "he had nothing to hide and acura stands behind its cars". Also, if I do get this car, I will not drive it that gently. I won't drive it like a corvette or an s2000, but there will be sharp accelaration, a lot of sport shift usage, and (legal) racing. Any other things I should do or know will be appreciated, if I get the car it will be tomorrow evening. Thanks for all your help!
Old 08-04-2006, 02:53 AM
9th Gear

Also, I am planning to (in the span of a year or two) do some light mods including putting 18's on it, getting dual cat backs, headers, and a cold air intake.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:54 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by khedairys5
I'm asking for the service records and if the carfax was bad why woudl the dealer give it so willingly (they gave it to me at the dealership)
One reason they might have given you the CarFax report is that it would be very easy for you to obtain one on your own. You could buy one for $20 or get a free report on many web sites, including this one. Many people run CarFax reports these days. By giving you one up front they can give you the impression that the report must be good, even if it isn't.

Keep in mind that the people selling cars can be very, very good at what they do. They do this all the time and they have learned what to say and how to say it. Buyers, on the other hand don't have nearly as much experience.

The car you're considering might be totally fine but be cautious.

Good Luck!

Bob
Old 08-04-2006, 08:01 AM
New Life

Way too much weird history with this car, if in fact it is a CERTIFIED ACURA car, everything must be fixed before it even makes it outside for sale.

That FLEET CAR deal is another bad thing, depending on the dealer it means that it was a demo or a loaner car at one point.

Broken door handle, come on, was it stolen or tried to?

Needs a new battery! No CERTIFIED ACURA car is put out on the lot with such a "minor" detail wrong.

If I was you, I stay away from this deal. You are smart enough to get a car fax, now be smart enough to walk away from this deal. My .
Old 08-04-2006, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Walk away and find another car. Plenty of used TLs out there.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:21 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Run. Fast.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:46 AM
Drifting

Again, any comments, advice, tips about this car are greatly appreciated. This is a huge decision and this car HAS to last me for 4 years without problems. Thanks again everyone.
If the car has to last you four years without problems you might be taking a chance with a 2nd generation TL.

Four years will take you well into 2010 and the transmission warranty will have expired. (You might want to check the exact date that the 7 year warranty ends.)

If your transmission fails during that period, be prepared for a $3,000 to $4,000 repair. The 2nd generation TLs have known and documented transmission problems. Aside from the reports here, Consumer Reports owner survey's give the TL a "Black Dot" for transmission problems and it's the lowest rating they hand out.

If reliability is a critical item, your current 1998 Accord might actually be a better bet.

And frankly, I might be more comfortable with the Accord in a college environment. How safe an area will you have to park your car. Would it be garaged. Are you aware that the headlights are a hot theft item?

The TL is a much nicer car but but I'd end up worrying a lot more about $16,500 TL than a $4,000 Accord.

Anyway, that's might be something to think about. When I went to college I had to park my car on the street and it was broken into twice. The second time it had a window shattered.

Good Luck!

Bob
Old 08-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
A Lease vehicle, and then a loaner?

That car has had a tough life. I\'m not sure that that price is anything special, and TL-S\' are not really hard to find. Id pass on this one, and find another; especially with all the weird damage you see. Imagine whats been done in areas you cant see.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you still there??...run away dude, that's not the car for you!
Old 08-04-2006, 11:45 AM
運転することを愛

1. Overpriced. (I bought my 2002 TL-S for $20,500 3.5 years ago) You can find plenty of cars for the same price that are in great condition. BTW, the trans is covered till 100K no matter what if you buy prior to certain 2003's. That said I wouldn't buy from a dealer, they rip you off. I bought mine from a private owner and I will never buy a used car from a dealer (I used to work at a Honda and I know how they beat their cars, I had my fun myself). When I got my car the extended bumper to bumper was transfered to me and all was great. I was looking at the same car at a dealership and the car was in worse shape and they wouldn't go lower than $22 grand at the time. I saved myself $2k AND got a nicer car. Just take your time and look around. If you insist on buying from a dealership be prepared to walk away, it pisses the salespeople off and works to your advantage.

2. Weirdest history of a TL I have ever seen.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Acuracy02
BTW, the trans is covered till 100K no matter what if you buy prior to certain 2003's.
Isn't the warranty coverage good until 100,000 miles or 7 years, whichever comes first?

Or could you always get coverage, regardless of the age of the TL, as long as you didn't reach 100,000 miles?

I thought it was "whichever comes first".

Bob
Old 08-04-2006, 12:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
You need to contact Acura to verify this car's enrollment in the CPO program...as there are many items that are just so fishy.

IIRC, replacing the battery if its > 3 years old is part of the CPO process. You need to find another car...
Old 08-04-2006, 12:35 PM
sumbdy gettin used 2nite!

Originally Posted by maxx96
Way too much weird history with this car, if in fact it is a CERTIFIED ACURA car, everything must be fixed before it even makes it outside for sale.

That FLEET CAR deal is another bad thing, depending on the dealer it means that it was a demo or a loaner car at one point.

Broken door handle, come on, was it stolen or tried to?

Needs a new battery! No CERTIFIED ACURA car is put out on the lot with such a "minor" detail wrong.

If I was you, I stay away from this deal. You are smart enough to get a car fax, now be smart enough to walk away from this deal. My .

It's just out of certified pre-owned status... I wouldn't bother with this car... plenty more available, I don't even understand why they wouldn't just fix what's wrong with it now. And it definitely sounds like a bad buy if they tell you right away that you need a new battery... why wouldn't they just take care of that.

More than stay away from the deal, you might also want to stay away from that sales person, or dealership.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_F
Isn't the warranty coverage good until 100,000 miles or 7 years, whichever comes first?

Or could you always get coverage, regardless of the age of the TL, as long as you didn't reach 100,000 miles?

I thought it was "whichever comes first".

Bob
which ever comes first.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Drifting

Thanks.

Bob
Originally Posted by bmoreTLS
which ever comes first.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:37 PM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
skip that and buy from someone on these forums ... (i did that about 2 weeks ago) bought an 02 aegean blue pearl TL-S with 70k miles for 15,000 from Junior TL here on the forums... has spoiler, oem lip kit, navigation, and a blitzsafe ipod adapter installed, as well as HID fogs... not to mention it was kept in great condition. i just turned 18 and bought the car myself so i know what its like to have to know for a fact the car has to last for a while. Acura owners on this site are here because they love their cars and it will be hard to find better kept 2nd gen tls then the ones here... check the black market section ... thats what i did , and in absolutely no way do i regret my purchase. plus theres a good chance you'll find a TL with mods here so you save some money on that. hope you end up with the right car... good luck.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:17 PM
運転することを愛

Originally Posted by 03bl AC k CL
skip that and buy from someone on these forums ... (i did that about 2 weeks ago) bought an 02 aegean blue pearl TL-S with 70k miles for 15,000 from Junior TL here on the forums... has spoiler, oem lip kit, navigation, and a blitzsafe ipod adapter installed, as well as HID fogs... not to mention it was kept in great condition. i just turned 18 and bought the car myself so i know what its like to have to know for a fact the car has to last for a while. Acura owners on this site are here because they love their cars and it will be hard to find better kept 2nd gen tls then the ones here... check the black market section ... thats what i did , and in absolutely no way do i regret my purchase. plus theres a good chance you'll find a TL with mods here so you save some money on that. hope you end up with the right car... good luck.

TOUCHE
Old 08-04-2006, 03:15 PM
9th Gear

well, I did some research online about a fleet car and apparently that means that it was a lease. I think the battery didn't work because the car has not been driven in so long (its been auctioned off on and off for about a year and its been at the dealer for 5 days). Really, this car confuses the hell out of me and I might just end up buying from an owner.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:53 PM
9th Gear

also, tranny has been replaced twice, last time Jan of this year. Apparently certified pre-owned is up to the discretion of the dealer? god i'm confused.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:53 AM

also, tranny has been replaced twice, last time Jan of this year. Apparently certified pre-owned is up to the discretion of the dealer? god i'm confused.
Khe, there's only but so many times people on this forums (who already own Acura's) can tell you to stay away from this deal. It sounds like you really want this car (for some reason)

You will be able to find a good deal if you continue to look else where.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:53 PM
9th Gear

Well, after some thought, I don't think I will buy the car. I liked it a lot but it doesnt sound very reliable and the car has an odd history. I will look into more TL-S's and possibly GS300's. Thanks for all your advice everyone.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, after some thought, I don't think I will buy the car. I liked it a lot but it doesnt sound very reliable and the car has an odd history. I will look into more TL-S's and possibly GS300's. Thanks for all your advice everyone.
IMO, I think you did the right thing by walking away even though it sounded like you really wanted the car. FWIW, I have a CPO TSX, bought a bit over a year ago with 16k on it, and it's been perfectly fine so far. It was a loaner car at the dealership, which is not necesarily a bad thing if you have it checked out. However, with the strange history "your" car in question has, I really think you saved yourself a lot of potential trouble by walking away.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
BTW, here's a car in the black market for sale. It's in FL. Not a Type S though.

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/fs-wtt-2000-acura-3-2tl-black-w-black-int-343954/