Ride of TL-S Vs. TL

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2001, 10:18 AM

Lightbulb Ride of TL-S Vs. TL

Hi. I was wondering about the comparison of the rides. I'd try it myself, but they are out of TL-S classes in the town I live in.

My use for the car is less about racing and fast cornering than a comfortable ride without a car that feels 'mushy'. Does the TL-S having a stiffer suspension result in a more uncomfortable feeling? What were people's thoughts when they compared the two?
Old 08-19-2001, 10:53 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The TL-S is firmer but by no means, a harsh ride. However, you will have to try it for yourself as this is a very subjective matter of taste.

But before you test drive, make sure the tire pressure is correct--32psi. Every TL-S I test drove and eventually bought was set well over 40psi--that was harsh!
Old 08-19-2001, 11:27 AM
Ex TL-S owner

Originally posted by davest
The TL-S is firmer but by no means, a harsh ride. However, you will have to try it for yourself as this is a very subjective matter of taste.

But before you test drive, make sure the tire pressure is correct--32psi. Every TL-S I test drove and eventually bought was set well over 40psi--that was harsh!
Thanks! After getting Comptech Springs, I was thinking that the ride is really rough. I then read this and went outside to check my tire pressure. You're right! it was 40PSI. I lowerd it to 32-34PSI and the ride is much better. THANKS!
Old 08-19-2001, 12:02 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

imo, the ride on the stock suspension of the TLS is very mushy. I plan to put the compos on after my break in.
Old 08-19-2001, 12:20 PM
Pro

I had a 2002 TL loaner a couple weeks ago. I immediately noticed the car was smoother over bumps. My TL-S is a bit "stiff" over small bumps or cracks in the road (tire pressure is 32 lbs.) but not obnoxiously so. It actually seems a little stiffer than the demo I drove orginally.

However, I could immediately tell the difference in handling and power vs. my TL-S. The steering is much quicker and responsive on the S. You can certainly feel the extra ponies under the hood.

These are my thoughts. You really need to drive the S to appreciate the differences. Remember, the seats are different to, and not to everyone's liking, either.

$0.02
Old 08-19-2001, 03:04 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
My wife and I tested both cars and found the engine on the S was much noisier (and faster), and the S ride was much harsher. Due to the $ difference and our preference for a smoother and quieter ride, we went for the TL-P. I have not regretted this decision, although I really like the S mags. Most of you guys and girls are enthusiests and as such, the S is the car for you.

As stated before, test them both as only you can decide.
Old 08-19-2001, 03:55 PM
Racer

I was a owner of a 2000 Gold TL before upgrading to the Type S.
The difference :

The TL-S is a much faster and agile car than the TL. For that better handling, of course there is a little trade off. TL-S rides harder and feels less heavier because of the additional power and stiffer springs.

Is the car better?? Well, it depends on what you are looking for.
If acceleration, speed and hard cornering is'nt your type than you must be a Type P personality.

And everything else equal, the Type S inssurance rate is a bit higher....
Old 08-19-2001, 05:03 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Davidas
...And everything else equal, the Type S inssurance rate is a bit higher....
Really? It was the same rate when I traded my TL-P for my TL-S. In fact, they didn't have the 2002s in their database at the time so she just charged me the 2001 TL rates. Maybe I got a lucky break?
Old 08-19-2001, 10:49 PM

Type P or S?

TYpe P or S? I don't know about that...

I work in a fairly busy ER and like the adrenaline. For 8-11 hours straight pure excitement and multitasking. However, when I'm driving, I like things a little calmer. Mostly what I'm looking for is a nice semi luxurious ride that doesn't get me labeled an 'old man' (I work in a college town and haven't hit forty yet!).
Old 08-20-2001, 12:07 AM
Instructor

Re: Type P or S?

Originally posted by dockb
TYpe P or S? I don't know about that...
That's TL-P or TL-S. The TL-P is the non-Type-S. The P stands for Premium.

Originally posted by dockb

I work in a fairly busy ER and like the adrenaline. For 8-11 hours straight pure excitement and multitasking. However, when I'm driving, I like things a little calmer. Mostly what I'm looking for is a nice semi luxurious ride that doesn't get me labeled an 'old man' (I work in a college town and haven't hit forty yet!).
Then you've picked the perfect car for you. But you still need to test drive both. The TL-P rides softer and has cushier seats (for those hard days and nights in the ER), the TL-S rides firmer but is sportier and has firmer, huggier seats (so the co-eds may be pleased with that.) Doesn't make your decision any easier does it?