Review: Installed Only Rear Comptech Anti-Sway bar..!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2001, 07:16 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review: Installed Only Rear Comptech Anti-Sway bar..!!!

For now we Installed Only the Rear Comptech Anti-Sway bar..!!!

Wife and I started around 2hrs before sunset and we decided to call it off for tonight after we succeeded in Installing the rear sways.

As everyone should know, the end link nuts are extreemly tough to take out.... A lot of anti rust fuid helped a lot. But still they are very tough to get them lose.

Once removed, the installation was a breeze. took maybe 10 mins. The end link are self-tightnening so super easy to do......

A quick test drive revealed that the wife was astonished and she did not get sick while taking high speed 270 degrees exit ramps Silence, and nice grin on her face.... In addition, Changing lanes at 80 MPH was like nothing and no body roll or any other floating feels.

I did not push it too much sisnce I did not install the front Comptech bar. I guess it will get better once we do finish the installation tomorrow morning.

I got a sweet kiss when I asked "did you like them?"

Note: What is the result of driving with only Comptech Anit-Sway bars, more understeer or a possiblity in getting into an oversteer condition?
Old 10-19-2001, 09:19 PM
Banned

Glad to hear it. I am starting the install on my Comptech sways first thing in the morning.

Someone here mentioned an easier way to handle the end link nuts was to get a hex driver and use it with a ratchet, then use a wrench to hold the nut in place while you ratchet the hex nut inside. That sounded like it might be easier, so I might try that.

Did you loosen the end link nuts with the car already on the jackstands? I am a little worried about having to apply a lot of pressure to break the nut while the car is on jackstands, but it doesn't look like there is enough room to do it otherwise.
Old 10-20-2001, 02:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

youd get more oversteer with just the rear bar

i used a needle nose vice grip plier to hold the one end of the bolt for the end link and a wrench to take off the nut.
Old 10-20-2001, 05:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
wow ...i did not realize you are nashua-night-hawk at cl
Old 10-20-2001, 08:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by typeR
wow ...i did not realize you are nashua-night-hawk at cl
Yea me either...I just read the same post over there..
Old 10-20-2001, 09:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Beiruty--

Nice to hear that your wife shares the same enthusiasm for your CL-S, and that she was willing to help you install the rear sway bar!

Me, I would get no such support; probably because she's not as understanding about putting mods on a car or stuff like that...

Tony
Old 10-20-2001, 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Congratulations on your rear sway install! Actually, I'm more impressed that your wife helped out! Damn, gotta find me someone like that! So when's the front sway getting installed?

Anyway, just had the dealer install my sways (Thursday) and WOW! Unless I'm hallucinating, the handling is much improved! Took a drive through some twisties up near Placerville, CA and did some testing. I'm definitely glad I bought these puppies from Tim! I don't think I'll be changing springs, though -- I don't mind the wheel gap and I like the ride!

Later,

V.
Old 10-22-2001, 11:29 AM
Racer

Review-II: Both sway bars are in!

Review-II: Both sway bars are in!
Last Frigday night we went for fun drive to Boston with only the rear comptech sway bar installed. The drive was smooth till we hit boston roads. Once in boston and driving on the crapy roads as if we are doing off road rally.... I started to hear a "clunk clunk" sound from the front. I immediately pull over and we did a quick look. ...

We figured out that it's the lose front right end-link nut that we started to pull out and we did not tightened to specs.

Saturday, around 1:00 PM, we put back the CL-S on ramps and started the front sway installation. As suspected the front right end-link nut was lose. So, we proceeded to remove the end-links and it was not that hard. Once both end-link nuts were removed, then the brakets were supper easy to take out. However, removing the front bar was a bit challenging. We lacked enough clearance to take out the front bar due to the ramps.

So, we decided to flip the ramp forwards and ride on the ramps bacwards and we got enough clearance....

Sneaking the comptech bar was easy too. Puting back the brakets and then tightneing the end-link nuts was peace of cake. No problem in Torquing the braket bolts but we failed to torque the end-link nuts due to lack of clearance. I made sure that the hand torquing was enough.

Quick test drive... and no single clunk... even I was hunting for pothols and hit each to see if everything is tight...

Evrything is nice and dandy and the CL-S rides like a breeze....

Oh I wished I did the sways earlier.....

Back to driving the CL-S....
Old 10-22-2001, 12:32 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Nice job, buddy. Congrats on having such a great wife too. What you should have done was put the teflon tape on the bolts before you put them back on. Now all you have to do is the upper strut, that should take you 5 minutes.