Rervese glow gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 12:55 AM
07 TL-S

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Rervese glow gauges?

I want to do this mod but the link in the DIY section goes to a 404 Error page. Is there another link somewhere?
Old 07-01-2012, 02:18 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
There's only a couple members old enough to remember how to do that. That DIY link went down a while ago.

I can guide you through the process, though. I was able to do it with zero experience with cars.

All you need to remember is:
-DON'T PULL ON THE NEEDLES
-Be gentle and go slowly
-You will need to drill a couple little holes to feed the wire through the cluster
-SRSLY DON'T PULL THE NEEDLES

Here's a short DIY:
-Remove the cluster from the dash (http://ledautomotive.com/guide.php?id_cms=49)
-Open up the cluster by pressing the clips. Just be gentle
-Once you get to the needles, you will have to slip the gauge covers onto the gauges
-Speedo and Tach are easy. The third is kind of hard because of the two needles
-Turn the Gas all the way up. Turn the Temp all the way down. Turn the gauge cover 90 degrees sideways
-Slip the gauge cover onto the gauge while twisting it back into normal position
-Use doublesided tape behind the covers to make them hug the gauge closely
-Make sure the needles can move freely
-You may have to lift the needles up a liiiiittle bit. Don't pull on them too hard though. I pulled really hard, and I thought I broke it. But it was fine.
-When you put it back together, you will realize there are tabs that will not fit in the cluster. Drill a small hole for that tab, and feed the wire through it.
-Put it back together
-Connect the ground and positive to the appropriate spots (I can show you later if you get this far)

-If you pull the needle clean off the gauge, the gauge becomes useless. There is no way to repair it. Fortunately, you can just replace it for $30 brand new

-It's actually kind of hard to damage it, but I just overemphasized the potential for damage so you'll be careful

Make sure you get the quality reverse gauge from eBay. I think it was like $30
Old 07-01-2012, 11:51 AM
deal with it

Received 378 Likes on 316 Posts
^there is also a clear cover that you can remove on those gauges, you get a razor blade work up the edge and pull off the front clear cover, you have to be careful, because you can crack the area that lights up, but the end result is it clears the needles better.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:57 PM
07 TL-S

Originally Posted by Karanx7
There's only a couple members old enough to remember how to do that. That DIY link went down a while ago.

I can guide you through the process, though. I was able to do it with zero experience with cars.

-Be gentle and go slowly
-You will need to drill a couple little holes to feed the wire through the cluster

Here's a short DIY:
-Remove the cluster from the dash (http://ledautomotive.com/guide.php?id_cms=49)
-Once you get to the needles, you will have to slip the gauge covers onto the gauges
-Turn the Gas all the way up. Turn the Temp all the way down. Turn the gauge cover 90 degrees sideways
-Slip the gauge cover onto the gauge while twisting it back into normal position
-You may have to lift the needles up a liiiiittle bit. Don't pull on them too hard though. I pulled really hard, and I thought I broke it. But it was fine.
-When you put it back together, you will realize there are tabs that will not fit in the cluster. Drill a small hole for that tab, and feed the wire through it.
-Put it back together
-Connect the ground and positive to the appropriate spots (I can show you later if you get this far)

-If you pull the needle clean off the gauge, the gauge becomes useless. There is no way to repair it. Fortunately, you can just replace it for $30 brand new

-It's actually kind of hard to damage it, but I just overemphasized the potential for damage so you'll be careful

Thanks. I noticed the ebay items said they include wires and a power inverter and the such. Does that mean the brightness is adjusted using something other than the stock brightness knob? And will i have to remove/alter/add any lights already in the original cluster?
Old 07-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by UBERTL
Thanks. I noticed the ebay items said they include wires and a power inverter and the such. Does that mean the brightness is adjusted using something other than the stock brightness knob? And will i have to remove/alter/add any lights already in the original cluster?
Yea the brightness is set by a separate knob. I just set it to max and taped it under the dash. No need to fiddle with any other bulbs.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:32 PM
07 TL-S

Do you know if the lights in the cluster are 3 or 4mm. They are really dim and i wanted to replace those as well
Old 07-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Unregistered Member

Dude. They don't matter if you put on the gauges. The gauges will cover everything except the needles and the odometer (and the CEL and Low Gas bulbs).

Which lights are you talking about being dim? Changing the bulbs isn't the problem with dim bulbs.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:04 PM
07 TL-S

The bulbs directly behind the stock gauges. I understand now though. I didnt know the reverse glow gauges used there own lihgt source. I thought the light would come from the stock bulbs
Old 07-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Unregistered Member

^LOL, thus the separate dimmer switch. Just post if you have any questions during the install.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Unregistered Member

Just noticed you have a TL-S... They don't work on the TL-S, only on the TL-P.

Unless you get the red JDM gauge covers.
The following users liked this post:
UBERTL (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 02:44 PM
07 TL-S

Thanks. I probably would have bought the wrong ones haha. The jdm gauges look better anyway.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How/where do you ground the wires?

-Be gentle and go slowly

Here's a short DIY:
-Put it back together

I'm about to drill the holes for the wires but I can't figure out how and where to plug in the wires? Can anyone explain it to me?
Old 08-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by w0nd3rlusTL
I'm about to drill the holes for the wires but I can't figure out how and where to plug in the wires? Can anyone explain it to me?
You shouldnt have to drill any holes for the wires.
As for attaching the wires, what wires? The wires from the reverse glow gauges? The one should be power the other ground. The power attaches to the back side of the drivers side fuse panel. there are a few spots, one of them is power on with lights. Attach power to that one. Ground, find any suitable groud location.
The following users liked this post:
w0nd3rlusTL (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 01:59 AM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
You shouldnt have to drill any holes for the wires.
As for attaching the wires, what wires? The wires from the reverse glow gauges? The one should be power the other ground. The power attaches to the back side of the drivers side fuse panel. there are a few spots, one of them is power on with lights. Attach power to that one. Ground, find any suitable groud location.
No, he'll have to drill a hole for each cover. How else will the wire get out of the cluster? Can't feed it behind or anything, so I think it's just best to drill through the back cluster cover.

The wires connect to certain spots. You'll have to get 2 connector terminals to crimp onto the wires. 1 will be a circular terminal for the ground, and the other will be a square like one for a tab. I'll take a picture tomorrow if I remember. Just remind me if I forget.

^ For ground terminal (Black). Pop open the driver's side fusebox, and you'll see one screw with a couple wires behind it. Unscrew it, and add the ring to behind the screw for ground.

^For power terminal (Red). Might need a bigger one. On the opposite side of the fusebox, there will be various tabs to plug into. Just try them until it works only when headlights turn on. You will be upside down and at an awkward angle to get it.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:15 PM
deal with it

Wouldn't the gauges be the same minus the redline?
If you dont mind the redline being off you could use pop these into a tlp
Old 08-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by dreem1er
Wouldn't the gauges be the same minus the redline?
If you dont mind the redline being off you could use pop these into a tlp
What? The indigo reverse gauges are ONLY available for the TL-P. The JDM red style gauges are available for both TL-P and TL-S. None for 6-speed.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Eric

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just did this and i messed up and took some needles completely off. It was a problem at first but i was able to fix all of them except my speedo. Now it says im going 10 mph faster than i actually am. Its not terrible but my advice to anyone doing this is to keep the needs on no matter what.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:22 AM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by rescuewindow13
I just did this and i messed up and took some needles completely off. It was a problem at first but i was able to fix all of them except my speedo. Now it says im going 10 mph faster than i actually am. Its not terrible but my advice to anyone doing this is to keep the needs on no matter what.
-Be gentle and go slowly
Obligatory I told you so. You can fix it by recalibrating it. I forget the procedure, but you either need a friend who has an accurate speedo or an iphone with a speedo app.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:40 AM
Senior Moderator

No, he'll have to drill a hole for each cover. How else will the wire get out of the cluster? Can't feed it behind or anything, so I think it's just best to drill through the back cluster cover.

The wires connect to certain spots. You'll have to get 2 connector terminals to crimp onto the wires. 1 will be a circular terminal for the ground, and the other will be a square like one for a tab. I'll take a picture tomorrow if I remember. Just remind me if I forget.

^ For ground terminal (Black). Pop open the driver's side fusebox, and you'll see one screw with a couple wires behind it. Unscrew it, and add the ring to behind the screw for ground.

^For power terminal (Red). Might need a bigger one. On the opposite side of the fusebox, there will be various tabs to plug into. Just try them until it works only when headlights turn on. You will be upside down and at an awkward angle to get it.
NO, he WONT have to drill any holes. The wires come off the sides and can go around the gauges. I used to have them.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:17 AM
deal with it

What? The indigo reverse gauges are ONLY available for the TL-P. The JDM red style gauges are available for both TL-P and TL-S. None for 6-speed.
Ok but the difference between the tlp and s gauges are the redline and vsa so you can use either gauge if you care about that
Old 08-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Cruisin'

So I take the glow off the speedo for the third and what i thought wOuld be final time and the needle pops right off. Ordering a new speedo on payday for $38, shipping included, unless anyone knows of a lower price or aftermarket gauges that look nicer than factory? I couldn't find any online. Dealership wanted $50 upfront and then wait for them to be shipped there. Cheaper and easier to get it shipped directly to me.

I'm a noob... Besides google and YouTube (ive searched) does anyone have a DIY/intro to crimping on a ring terminal? I get the concept but I'm a visual learner and need a vid or pics so I don't break anything else. (I broke the clear cover before I even got started, that was $15 and another $15 for shipping....nooooooobbbb)

Last edited by w0nd3rlusTL; 08-08-2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Wasn't finished typing on my iPhone
Old 08-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 180 Posts
You must have massive heavy hands lol. Relax hulk.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Cruisin'

Wiring Glow Gauges or 2-din ASWC

Originally Posted by MilwaukeeDave
You must have massive heavy hands lol. Relax hulk.
lol@milwaukee. Did I not mention I'm a lady so no massive heavy hulk hands here I just didn't read any instructions or pull the cluster out to see the tabs before I started pulling on the left side and it just cracked. Oh well. Got my new one in the mail a few days ago.

Update: My speedometer started working the first time I got in my car after ordering a new speedometer! But I think I'll just install the new one, hold onto the broken one and when I learn to recalibrate it I'll do that and sell it for what shipping cost me so off set my costs.

I'm installing a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH and ran into trouble with the ASWC wiring. Mountain Lion (OS X) doesn't let you print to PDF easily and my internet is down so I couldn't print the guide from the website. Anyway, a guy at customer support sent me this link about military wire splicing which I'm going to use to connect the red and black wires of my glow gauges as well. Here is it if anyone else is a noob at car wiring:

http://www.backinblackgp.com/Tap_And_Splice.htm
Old 08-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Cruisin'

I connected the wires according to the instructions (black to another black and red to the red on the dimmer) and not only to do the glow gauges not work but neither does the regular glow. I'll probably take off the butt connectors and reconnect them and add some wire in for slack but this is pretty frustrating.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by w0nd3rlusTL
I connected the wires according to the instructions (black to another black and red to the red on the dimmer) and not only to do the glow gauges not work but neither does the regular glow. I'll probably take off the butt connectors and reconnect them and add some wire in for slack but this is pretty frustrating.
DONT connect the power to the dimmer. Connect the power to the back side of the fuse box. There are 5 spots on the back that will accept butt connectors. One of them is power on ONLY when the lights are turned on. Connect the power to that one.