Replacing Hids???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Hids???

alrite so one of my 4300k bulbs went out the other night.....so i bought some 6000k bulbs off some guy named stillenmaxima on ebay....he had good ebay rep so i hope i made a good decision

anyways...they come in later this week and i want to install them

how hard is this??? i heard that its pretty hard, because the stock hids are hard to yank out or something. anything i should be aware of?? also, whats this i hear about if i touch the HID bulb its going to blow up? i dont know too much about HIDs so ANY information on this subject is useful
Old 01-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
**First you cant do the job without a T-20 tamper proof torx bit.....the one with the little hole in the center it can be found at PepBoys, AutoZone or almost any auto store**

1). When you pop the hood and look behind the headlight you will see a black "box" type thing held by the torx bit....the box is labeled lock and unlock.

2). Once you unscrew the cover....pay close attention.....you have to unplug the light before you twist the cover to unlock.....once you have unplugged the power plug you can now turn the cover to unlock and CAREFULLY remove it BUT you CANNOT take it off all of the way so just sit it to the side out of the way.

3). Now this part gets tricky so bare with me i wish i had the pics to show you but lets try.......once you take the cover off the back part of the socket which holds the bulb will be exposed..DONT TURN IT OR PULL ON IT.....if you look closely you will see another screw holdin a pin....DONT worry that screw does not have to be removed, just stick your finger under the bulb socket and you will feel the pin, push back and the pin should pop off and you should now be able to remove the bulb.

4). Once you remove the bulb DO NOT touch it with your hands i recommend that you use some sort of latex gloves or something because if you touch the bulb with your hand it will damage the bulb and you just wasted $160....now you will twist the bulb to towards the way it says unlock, remove the bulb and place the other one back in and lock it.

5). Now this is complicated because i have no pic to show you and its gonna be kinda hard explaining....when you put the bulb back in the is the little extra silver thing thats almost hanging off the bulb but its connected at the top, that part faces down when you put the bulb back in...also when you put the bulb back in, on the socket there will be two hole type patterns on the socket..those go to the top and the pin fits back in the slot. (sorry i dont have the pics man)

6). Once the bulb is in place plug the power back in to test the bulbs....now make sure your beam patterns are aligned if they are then you put the bulb back in correctly if not then you have to fix the bulb....you will hear a humming noise but dont worry that is because the HID is heating up and the cover isnt on to prevent you from hearing the noise....if everything is working fine just put the cover back on lock it and screw the cover back in place and your done with one side.

PS: credit to the creator. I copied from another post.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow that seems kinda hard haha....might just take it to the homies shop
how much does a t20 torx bit cost?
Old 01-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
The T20 torx bit should be cheap at home depot or pepboys. About $10-20 for the whole set. Those instructions are just in detail for someone who never had it done; the actual work is really easy, 5-15 minutes. You can use a pliers to remove the torx screw but it takes time.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Its no where near as hard as the directions make it sound. Dont be scared to try. And the "dont touch the bulb" applies to every light (just these cost more) oils from your fingers stay on the glass creating Hot Spots and cause it to burnout faster, Not explode just from touching. If it hapens just use a small amount of rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab and clean it and let it air dry then reinstall it