Replacing cabin filter...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 04:02 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing cabin filter...

My 1999 TL has an awful smell coming out of the air conditioner. We took it in today and they said it needs a flushing of the air conditioner...$99 plus cabin filters. Well, they quoted me $35 for the filter, then called back and said it takes two filters and the price is $38. Ok, that's fine, but then they said it would cost $70 to replace the filters, but when I was there, he quoated the $99 for flushing and $35 for the filter. Now it's $70 for labor on the filter. Does this make sence? Here's the breakdown

Air conditioner flush $99
2 AC cabin filters $38 plus $70 installation.
Oil and lube, $26.95

This is through local shop specializing in foreign cars. We've been to them alot, but they seem to keep adding stuff.

Thanks for any help.
By the way, I live in FL and bought the car off lease three years ago, has anyone else has such a stench from the AC? I hate to say it, but it smells like BO to me. And no, I haven't had the car valet parked lately. ha ha.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:13 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Complete rip-off..you can buy the same Micron filter at your local auto store..and replace it yourself. The micron filter is located behind your glove box. There was a great DIY w/pictures on how to replace your micron filter and I would tell you to search..but the search feature ain't working to great. Worth a shot though..
Old 05-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
and get your self a can of lysol and spray in there while the filters are out to clean the system out
Old 05-18-2004, 04:55 PM
Racer

What the heck is an AC flush?

Cabin filters are very easy to change. Napa sells each of them for @ $12. Changing the filter takes about 15-30 min. When I changed mine out, there were a lot of leaves and stuff b4 the filter. You might have something gone bad in there.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:11 PM
Pro

Anyone know what happen to the detailed FAQ

Hey,
I was wondering if anyone has the link to the FAQ on the cabin filter change with the pictures. I searched but couldn't find the one that was here before.
TIA
Old 05-18-2004, 07:07 PM
Missing my Acura's

Yeah I Wanna Know How Also!
Old 05-18-2004, 10:33 PM
Racer

Instructions (lifted from this site a while back) - sorry, no pics:
To access the interior air filters you will need a Philips screwdriver a pocket flat blade screw driver and a sharp knife. Open the glove box and empty it of whatever you have been hiding in there.
There is a air piston on the right side that slows the opening speed it is attached to the door with a screw, remove the screw, pop of the air piston.
There are two stops on the inside the glove box, pop both out with the small flat blade.
The glove box will now open downwards, there are two Philips screws holding the door to the dashboard structure, remove both screws the door can now be removed.
You will now see two Philips screws that appear to hold nothing in place, remove these leave the metal clips in place.
There is a serrated panel visible it must be cut away from the dashboard structure, save this panel as it is to be reused later.
There is now a vertical white plastic panel visible that can be snapped out of the way and removed.
The filters are the two vertical boxes now visible, remove the bottom one first by pulling it towards you then lower the upper one and remove it as well.
Exchange the filters noting that they have arrows on them for airflow; the boxes that contain the filters are marked as well. Install the filters in the boxes and reassemble the filters in to the air box. Take the white panel and snap it back in place.
Now take the previously cut out plastic panel and turn it so the two hooks engage the two slots in the dash structure, the two screws that did not do anything are now used to secure this panel in place.
Reassemble the glove box in reverse fashion from disassembly.
This job should take you about twenty minutes or less.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:19 PM
Missing my Acura's

Question

Where Can I Get A List Of Things That The Dealer Would Do For My 75,000 Mile Checkup?
Old 05-19-2004, 03:06 PM
On the way!

Yeah - that's a rip off. It's an easy DIY project.

As far as killing the mildew (a fellow FL person here), I've used lysol before but it didn't seem to last very long. They do sell a special spray at auto parts stores that is meant for this that works for a much longer time and has no odor by itself. Unfortunately I can't remember the brand (I'll post it when I get home if you want).
Old 05-19-2004, 05:30 PM
Instructor

You can also use a window cleaner such as Windex. Chances are mold got into
your evaporator unit. Run the fan on low and spray Windex into the inlets on
both sides. The amonia will kill the mold. If there isn;t much it should work well.
It may take a few applications to clear it up. Run it in heater, fan, and A/C so
as to get all the chanels that the mold may have gotten into. Most likely it's
in the A/C evaporator as moisture can settle there.

/Steve
Old 05-19-2004, 05:47 PM
Instructor

My car periodically smells like mold or mildew. Pretty strong odor. I spray the carpets and the smell goes away. Could it be I need to change out my cabin filters?
Old 05-19-2004, 05:56 PM
On the way!

Well, they apparently don't manufacture the product I bought any more (and have 2/3 of a bottle of), but here's it's replacement. The stuff I bought was not very expensive and worth the money.

Link

I imagine you will be able to find this in any auto parts store - probably in the A/C equipment section.

kennelm, you should pull them out and check them. Spraying the carpets may simply be masking another source of odor. If you have over 20-30k miles on those filters (depending on your climate) you should replace them. Also, a big clue is if the mold/mildew smell comes on strong right after you turn on the A/C. If it does, it's probably gunk in your evaporator. Once you take the filters out you should be able to spray the evaporator (it's not a great angle - but it works).

I would love to know how to get it directly into the blower housing (other than through the intake below the windshield) if anyone has any good ideas.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:26 PM
Instructor

FLA-TLS,

I haven't noticed any odor coming from the A/C vents. Typical scenario: I'll open the car door and give a big whiff even before I even get the car going. Now, I just carry a can of lysol in the trunk. It's almost like there is water collecting somewhere and causing mildew. But, I can't find anything....
Old 05-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Intermediate

filters

". If you have over 20-30k miles on those filters"

I don't have a smell or anything, but unless Acura did this and didn't mention it, I have 86k on my filters... probably should replace them one of these days.

Schlotkins
Old 08-13-2004, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the instructions!!

I just replaced mine without any problems.

Someone should make some scented filters. It would be cool thing to have instead of that can I have under my seat. LOL!!
Old 08-29-2004, 07:10 PM
Speaker City Rocks

Just did mine today, I ordered the filters online, and I am a little skeptical of the quality of the filters I got. they seemed kind of cheap. Having said that, apparently mine had never been replaced because the vertical plastic piece had not been cut the first time.

The process was pretty easy and took me about 30 minutes only due to the hesitation I had to cut my car with a blade!!! Next time it will only take me about ten minutes. I would suggest a second person help when you have to remount the glove box hinges to the car. Also I would recommend a magnetic phillips screwdriver to make the job easier...though that will make any job easier.

Good luck if you are doing it. The best instructions were already here. I would print them and take them to your car with you. It will make more sense then:

To access the interior air filters you will need a Philips screwdriver a pocket flat blade screw driver and a sharp knife. Open the glove box and empty it of whatever you have been hiding in there.
There is a air piston on the right side that slows the opening speed it is attached to the door with a screw, remove the screw, pop of the air piston.
There are two stops on the inside the glove box, pop both out with the small flat blade.
The glove box will now open downwards, there are two Philips screws holding the door to the dashboard structure, remove both screws the door can now be removed.
You will now see two Philips screws that appear to hold nothing in place, remove these leave the metal clips in place.
There is a serrated panel visible it must be cut away from the dashboard structure, save this panel as it is to be reused later.
There is now a vertical white (or black) plastic panel visible that can be snapped out of the way and removed.
The filters are the two vertical boxes now visible, remove the bottom one first by pulling it towards you then lower the upper one and remove it as well.
Exchange the filters noting that they have arrows on them for airflow; the boxes that contain the filters are marked as well. Install the filters in the boxes and reassemble the filters in to the air box. Take the white panel and snap it back in place.
Now take the previously cut out plastic panel and turn it so the two hooks engage the two slots in the dash structure, the two screws that did not do anything are now used to secure this panel in place.
Reassemble the glove box in reverse fashion from disassembly.
This job should take you about twenty minutes or less.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Pro

walk in the park. Replace um and you will see the filth that has accumulated for the past XX,XXX miles... heheh It was really easy though. Just be prepared to cut the plastic along the dashed lines. If it is your first time you will be slightly hessitant but don't worry, everything goes back together. have fun!
Old 08-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
most auto parts stores carry them now too. ask for the ones from the 99-01 accord they are the same and usually cheaper. i got mine at the honda dealer for 15 a piece