Repainting the car black?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 02:59 PM
TL 3.2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repainting the car black?

Ok I recently bought a 99tl green with 90000 miles on it. I have to say..... The paint on this car SUCKS! The clear coating is chipping away and there is parts of the car where the paint is cracking. I just got a guy at my job that would repaint my car in the summer. He told me 2000 to paint the whole car including the door jams. He's going to charge me 1200 to just paint the outside. I want some input. What if I just paint the outside of the car black and leave the door jams the same color since I don't have enough money, then when I get more money I paint the door jams later? I pick black because you won't notice the door jams too much when you open it up vs painting it white or another color.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Pro

yea paint it....i never liked the green pearl that much myself

i wanted to repaint my monterey blue pearl to black, but the color grew on me and now i love it
Old 06-01-2005, 04:06 PM
Advanced

$2000 is cheap to paint the whole car. All it comes down is quality of the paint job. Does he send all old paint down to a smooth surface? how many coats of paint will be? These all factor in the cost, along with his time. The last time I ask to reapint the whole car a year ago was $5000.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:07 PM
Intermediate

What color is your interior? Is it tan or black? Tan interior may look funny with a black exterior. I thought about having mine repainted as well.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:31 PM
Instructor

I like the green color and that is the color of my acura ... dark emerald pearl. If you do decide to change the color something you will have to consider is that you will have to get a new VIN etc to reflect the changes you have made. I am sure you have checked this guy out but look at a few he has done an all-over paint color change to before you decide. Make sure he does a good job in the jams and under the hood, trunk, etc. 2000 seems very reasonable if he does as I am paying 2000 to get painted and none of that is getting done.... and I had to search to find someone good and talk him down to get that price. I am getting my car painted 20 Jun 2005. Well, they will start on it then anyway and I am getting an oem body kit put on it. Needless to say I am pretty excited.

To answer your question... i would say NO.... definately not. It will look cheesy and cheap if the jams do not match and anyone that rides with you will see it. I say stay with the same color or save til you can do it all. IMHO
Old 06-01-2005, 06:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gingerbreadman
I like the green color and that is the color of my acura ... dark emerald pearl.

DEP is the phattest color for a car! it's a nice dark color that you don't see much of. and it looks extremely hot when you have the red/clear tailights. i'd keep that color if i was you - but i'm not so it's up to you. be sure that he uses the top of the line paint. be sure to get some sort of warrantee on it.. i had a paint job done,and it looked amazing when i went to get the car, it was only after a week when my brother pointed out that it didn't match w/ the rest of the car. .. the clear coat he used was cheap. the rest of the car has a mirror-like reflection, while the right rear door(what i got painted) was dull... so keep in mind of how it'll look after a while. quality is most important.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:19 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dreamdtt2000
What if I just paint the outside of the car black and leave the door jams the same color

since I don't have enough money
No offense, but then save until you do.

then when I get more money I paint the door jams later? I pick black because you won't notice the door jams too much when you open it up vs painting it white or another color.
Patience, save until you can do it all at once. Is the guy going to paint the undersides of the hood and trunk?

I pick black because you won't notice the door jams too much when you open it up vs painting it white or another color.
You'll notice.

Spend $1,200 and get the car painted the same color, then you don't have to worry about getting the jambs painted.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:43 PM
2Poor 2Furious

You should go out and get some quotes. Also check exactly what they're doing - sanding, # coats, clearcoats, etc.

My body shop was repainting some new trucks that got damaged in a tornado (yes a small tornado in Cali!). Most of the damage was debris and maybe a few light dents. He said they were doing the trucks for about $3000 each so your $2000 sounds about right. But he also has this funky German paint baking thingee that's supposedly the only one west of the Mississippi so his paint might be a little more?
Old 06-02-2005, 04:35 AM
Instructor

whatwasthat,

You will be happy to know I am staying with the DEP color as I was saying before. It is my favorite with the dark grey being second and black probably third. All three look hot in my opinion. I would like to see one in yellow but i guess that will never happen as I can't afford the all over (wel i choose not to afford it anyway) and it would probably not appeal to a lot of people.

I do have a vision though of my car in canary yellow, dropped down on some hot looking rims, with the new oem kit around. Ummmmm..... nice image. At least to me.

Gingerbreadman
Old 06-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
It's not Diamond Emerald Pearl. It's Laguna Green Metallic.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:15 AM
TL 3.2

Originally Posted by hiliters1975
What color is your interior? Is it tan or black? Tan interior may look funny with a black exterior. I thought about having mine repainted as well.
My interior is tan.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:17 AM
TL 3.2

Originally Posted by SFOX
$2000 is cheap to paint the whole car. All it comes down is quality of the paint job. Does he send all old paint down to a smooth surface? how many coats of paint will be? These all factor in the cost, along with his time. The last time I ask to reapint the whole car a year ago was $5000.
I think he does quality work because when I had my cl, he sand it down twice to make sure its smooth.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
what are you talking about?

I like the green color and that is the color of my acura ... dark emerald pearl. If you do decide to change the color something you will have to consider is that you will have to get a new VIN etc to reflect the changes you have made. I am sure you have checked this guy out but look at a few he has done an all-over paint color change to before you decide. Make sure he does a good job in the jams and under the hood, trunk, etc. 2000 seems very reasonable if he does as I am paying 2000 to get painted and none of that is getting done.... and I had to search to find someone good and talk him down to get that price. I am getting my car painted 20 Jun 2005. Well, they will start on it then anyway and I am getting an oem body kit put on it. Needless to say I am pretty excited.

To answer your question... i would say NO.... definately not. It will look cheesy and cheap if the jams do not match and anyone that rides with you will see it. I say stay with the same color or save til you can do it all. IMHO
so you are paying $2000 for a complete paint job or not? Also just make sure they use the exact paint from Acura - I went to get a quote for my dads truck and I noticed they had the paint swatches from Acura - I really want to get mine painted because the 6 years is taking its toll. But Im going to wait for the storm season to be done (hopefully a nice hail storm will take care of it for me )

And I love DEP also - very different because it seems like every car I see is white, black or metalic gray (gets old if you ask me)
Old 06-02-2005, 10:50 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

so you are paying $2000 for a complete paint job or not? Also just make sure they use the exact paint from Acura - I went to get a quote for my dads truck and I noticed they had the paint swatches from Acura - I really want to get mine painted because the 6 years is taking its toll. But Im going to wait for the storm season to be done (hopefully a nice hail storm will take care of it for me )

And I love DEP also - very different because it seems like every car I see is white, black or metalic gray (gets old if you ask me)
Old 06-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Racer

Well having had my 96 accord repainted first of all you dont need a new vin, you just go to DMV and update your registration, no big deal at all, if u think u want the door jambs done then do it all at once or dont do them at all, trust me doing them later will be a hastle. The green is dark enough where it wont be all that noticeable but some people will still point it out, you could also pick another green or dark color as well, im not a fan of a black car with a tan interrior but the TL does come like that from the factory so yours wouldnt be the only one that looks like guiness beer with foam in it. If you plan on keeping this car till its death paint just the outside, and save the other $800, the resale on that car is already low , then even if its repainted, if they notice any color difference under the hood, trunk , engine bay or doors they will give u less anyways, so in my opion unless you are trying to make a show car just do the outside a dark color or repaint it the same green.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:17 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
um...yes it is if he said it was dark....laguna green is really light, almost kinda silver
Old 06-02-2005, 05:24 PM
Instructor

ou sig,

I assume the statement causing the confusion is "as I am paying 2000 to get painted and none of that is getting done" Yes I am getting the car painted, all-over. They are not going to paint the door jams etc as I am not changing color and the paint is in good shape there. the price would have been higher had I wanted those painted as well.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:19 AM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
2gs is really cheap unless you live in CA, where it is still a good price, or you have a hook up. if not be weary of the shop. materials for a good paint job alone are like 6-700$. So that means the guy is painting your car, which takes approx 2 weeks for like $1300. unlikely...
Old 06-03-2005, 01:57 AM
The New 3 Series Coupe

Two thousand is cheap, but are you sure you are getting a decent quality paint and paint job? Also, I would wait until I can do everything at once. If you leave the door jams out it'll definitely look ghetto. BTW, I would go for either one of these colors: Taffeta, Diamond Pearl, Satin Silver or NHBlack.