Remote starter

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Remote starter

Has anyone out there in TL-land installed a remote starter in their TL? I have this in our other car and its great but I want to make sure there are no hidden surprises.

If so, what brand/where did you get it/was it difficult to install?

Thanks much
Old 12-30-2003, 10:30 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had installed the avital 4200 series. Its a remote starter /keyless remotewhich works in conjuction with your alarm system. It replaces your Acura fob...

I absolutely love it. It has about a 600ft. range to it. With installation + taxes was about 280 bucks here in Chicago...

What brand do you have on your other car?
Old 12-31-2003, 07:10 AM
Advanced

i have a compustar remote start and alarm pager, it has a quarter mile range...great for those cold days
Old 12-31-2003, 08:54 AM
Instructor

I installed Prestige Alarm + Remote Start + Pager and it's soooo cool. I paid $450 here installed in NY. I've had no complaints.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:31 PM
Instructor

I have a standard Toyota installed remote. I dont know the brand. I just like the concept of getting into a warm car. Thanks for the info. I'll look into one of those.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:24 PM
Racer

vipor w/transponder remote. love the fact that the remote has a led screen that tells you that your car started. also has 1500 feet range.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:06 PM
9th Gear

I'm planning on having the Clifford Matrix RS2.21 installed which is the car alarm and remote starter.

The question I have is regarding the immobilizing of the car.

During the installing, when they use either the valet key and/or bypass to enable the car to start (i.e., the chip within the key is needed) and the key is buried somewhere in the dash, does this mean that anyone who has either a unprogrammed copy key (one that is made at a hardware store) without the chip, can stick the key in the ignition and drive off? The chip has already been activated by the remote so is this possible as the immobilizing has been technically bypassed.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2004, 09:47 AM
Pusha Z

Originally posted by davey73
vipor w/transponder remote. love the fact that the remote has a led screen that tells you that your car started. also has 1500 feet range.
Yup the Responder 750XV. I am actually warming up the car right now because it is below zero here in Northern Virginia
Old 01-16-2004, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by RLSKIS
I'm planning on having the Clifford Matrix RS2.21 installed which is the car alarm and remote starter.

The question I have is regarding the immobilizing of the car.

During the installing, when they use either the valet key and/or bypass to enable the car to start (i.e., the chip within the key is needed) and the key is buried somewhere in the dash, does this mean that anyone who has either a unprogrammed copy key (one that is made at a hardware store) without the chip, can stick the key in the ignition and drive off? The chip has already been activated by the remote so is this possible as the immobilizing has been technically bypassed.

Thanks
RLSKIS, I am getting this same model you said installed on Tuesday. The place doing it seems to have a clue on how all this works. Im going to ask your question then.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Advanced

Is it true that by installing the auto-starter, it makes it easier for thieves to steal the car?????
Old 01-16-2004, 03:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm also wondering...on really really cold days outside, it usually takes my engine a couple extra turns to start. Generally when the engine is cold but on a relatively cool day it takes like 2-5 turns, but when it's really cold and I hold the key in the position III, it sometimes will turn like 7-10 times.

my question is, with a remote starter will this pose a problem, or will the starter act as if I'm holding the key in place, and it won't stop turning it until it starts? If the remote starter is only meant to hold it there for a certain amount of time, and it's not enough time for the car to start, will the car start? Or will I have to keep trying to start it, which I would think is bad to have the engine constantly turning over when it's freezing outside.

Can someone clarify this?

thanks guyz.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:00 PM
9th Gear

At least on the Clifford model, and I believe other ones from Viper and Compustar, it has something called "anti-grind" which attempts to start your car 2-4 times. If it fails to start, then the remote start will fail. I assume it will be couple of seconds between each attempted start before it tries it again.

And Larry, let me know how you like the Clifford and how the installation went.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 01-16-2004, 05:19 PM
Racer

Compustar Spread Spectrum!! 1.25 mile range and it works...at a wide open field. *SIGH* gets about 7 block range in the city. Still, Compustar rocks!! More info at www.compustar.org
Old 01-17-2004, 04:39 PM
Banned

Originally posted by RLSKIS
At least on the Clifford model, and I believe other ones from Viper and Compustar, it has something called "anti-grind" which attempts to start your car 2-4 times. If it fails to start, then the remote start will fail. I assume it will be couple of seconds between each attempted start before it tries it again.
That's not what "anti-grind" is on the Clifford models. Anti-grind is simply a bypass of the starter when the car is already running. All too often with remote starts, you get so used to starting a car the traditional way (by putting the key and the ignition and turning it to "start") that you try and start an already running car. If you do this your starter will make a nasty sound as the Bendix Spring tries to engage the starter motor and the engine is already turning--not good for the life of the starter. The anti-grind feature basically disables the start mode on the ignition if the car is remoted started. If you put the key in and turn in to the start position after the car has been remote started, it won't do anything, which is much better for the starter.

But you are right--the Cliffords (and most other brands) will attempt to start the car 2-3 times before stopping. If it doesn't catch on the first crank, it will wait 10-20 seconds and then try again, etc.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:17 PM
9th Gear

Well, apparently the closest place I can find a Clifford dealer in the East Bay Area is Good Guys, and they only have the newer model Clifford Matrix RS3.5, not the 2.1. The only difference is that the 3.5 only give you one remote and the 2.1 gives you two.

Anyway, with installation, the total price is $600.00, a tad expensive but I guess that's how it is living in the San Francisco area.

Anyone had their system install by Good Guys and any last minute comments before I take the plunge?
Old 01-19-2004, 09:05 AM
Intermediate

pI had remote starter in my last 2 cars. The Acura dealer I brought my car from said they stopped installing that due to many problems in the past. The guy that did my alarm said there is no problem, you just have to lose a key (valet). I always loved that feature. He was only going to charge an extra 150. Always good to have during the winter.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:53 PM
9th Gear

Advice is needed

Hi Everyone, sorry for such a long message but I need your input. I'm being very wishy washy as I can't decide which security system/remote starter I want. I was planning on getting the Clifford Matrix 3.5 but I just found out today that one of my coworkers has one of the older Compustar model and he loves it.

Does anyone know the dimension of the remotes for both the Clifford Matrix lll and Compustar 2WSS models? I really don't want a bulky remote.

In the Clifford manual, the battery is a 1.5 AAA. In the Compustar, it is a AA battery, a noticable difference. Also, in the manual for the 2WSS model, it says to replace the AA battery roughly every month based on usage and car type. The Clifford doesn't say.

Lastly, the Clifford Matrix requires a toggle switch placed someone in the car to turn on/off the remote during servicing, etc where you don't want the remote starter to come on accidentally. It also requires a valet box to be installed somewhere in the car for those times the remote operation to set the valet doesn't work. (You press the switch on the valet box to turn on/off the system will turning on the ignition.) while in the Compustar, there is no toggle or valet box. If you need to go into the valet mode without using the remote, you turn the ignition to on and then off mode 5 consecutive times within 10 secs. And last, with the clifford, they need to install another LED indicator to show you if the system is in valet mode. The manually said this is the only way to tell. With this, the Clifford requires 3 additional items to be installed. This is making me lean towards the Compustar but from what I researched and other people's comment, the Clifford is probably the better alarms system.

HELP!
Old 01-19-2004, 11:45 PM
Drifting

I've had the RS 3.5 installed for about 6 months. Its the one with the silver transmiter not the newer carbon fiber one. The transmitter is definitly on the larger size(probably 3'' X 1'' X 1'') about the size of a tic tac container and its really the only thing that i dislike about the system. Mainly because the button stick out and are very senistive. It always opens up my trunk when my keys are in my pocket. And you will have to change the battery frequently about every 2 months.

Other then that it works awsome. Range is good, but not what is listed, as i don't live in farm country. As far as what RlSKIS said it does have a switch like that, but i though all alarms have that. It comes with all that he had stated, My LED light is mounted on the blank switch spot next to TCS. You will also have to mount a large atenna inside your car, mine is right behind my rear view mirror. Can't really notice it though.

I got mine for chaep as i had a really good discount about 270 installed. but you shopuld be able to find it for 500 installed. Try best buy or circuit city.

Remote start always works, even has cool feature that when car is running you can press the button and take the keys out of the ignition, use your keys for something else then put them back in and drive away(withn out shuting off car). The anti grind works really good helped me a couple of times. Nothing like going out in 15 degree weather and getting into your warm car with heated seats on high.

Hope this helped.