remote start/window down

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 11:18 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remote start/window down

My brother's got a friend who does alarm/stereo installs, and he said he could install a remote start and remote window down for my car for about $250 incl parts & labor.
Q. is this a pretty good deal?
it seems pretty cool, but do u guys think its worth the $$
Old 01-02-2002, 04:01 PM
Instructor

I used to have a remote start on my old Accord, and I miss it bad. Especially since it's winter here, and although we have seat warmers, you still have to endure at least 5 minutes where you're shivering waiting for the car to warm up. If your friend is installing an alarm with the remote start, then it's a great deal. Of course depends on what type of alarm
Old 01-02-2002, 06:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Something's fishy with that price. Parts alone at wholesale pricing for a quality name brand alarm that does all you say would exceed $250.
Old 01-03-2002, 02:49 PM
Racer

I don't think that guy is going to install an alarm for him. Bebber said "remote start" and "remote window down". (Unless remote start has alarm already?!)
Old 01-03-2002, 03:25 PM
Racer

Yeah, he's not installing an alarm just a remote start unit and auto windows-down unit. I have to talk to the guy on Saturday, b/c I'm not too sure about whats involved but no alarm just a couple of gizmos. I've got to ask him about it b/c I'm not sure how it'll work since the car has a chip in the key and the immoblizer.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:16 AM
Burning Brakes

I see, I really thought you were going to install an aftermarket alarm because everyone pretty much does when they add on fancy accessories. It makes the install much easier and it's worth the extra $ to save on hassle and get the couple of extra benefits you get with an additional alarm.

Your existing stock alarm has no extra channels left to operate extra devices. If your installer knows what he's doing, he "might" be able to add a channel expander to allow you to push a button on your remote twice and let it serve as another channel. To bypass the immobilizer, he will need a transponder bypass module which will need a copy of your key to be permanently placed in there. Window roll up and down can be done a variety of ways, the best way (IMO) is to use the DEI full auto window modules. These convert your windows into full auto up/down at the touch of any of the interior window switches. One module controls two windows. The usual store price for these is $100 each. Wholesale price is cheaper though. Don't even bother with the cheaper brands, I've tried them before.

Adding the remote starter to the stock alarm may prove to be challenging. If your friend is willing to put all this labor into it for you and get you all the components for so cheap, well you have a very nice friend. He's basically not making any money on the parts and is losing out for his time spent installing it. So good luck!
Old 01-04-2002, 02:44 AM
Racer

?????

i forgot who it was but some1 state that the parts will exceed over $250 for the brain and the modules and they are right. $250 seems cheap TOO CHEAP. If he is doing it for you for that price and u trust this dude then go for it. I have window up and down plus auto start on my tls right now and its SWEET. i love parking it in front of a cafe and people sittin outside and starting my car before i even get there. It get the chics attention too. If you are going to get it. Tell him to auto start the car with the radio on too. My you have to put the key in to start the radio. I will love the auto start even better if my radio came on too. But go for it. I LOVE MY AUTO START

BG
Old 01-04-2002, 03:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: ?????

Originally posted by AZN G RYDE
i forgot who it was but some1 state that the parts will exceed over $250 for the brain and the modules and they are right. $250 seems cheap TOO CHEAP. If he is doing it for you for that price and u trust this dude then go for it. I have window up and down plus auto start on my tls right now and its SWEET. i love parking it in front of a cafe and people sittin outside and starting my car before i even get there. It get the chics attention too. If you are going to get it. Tell him to auto start the car with the radio on too. My you have to put the key in to start the radio. I will love the auto start even better if my radio came on too. But go for it. I LOVE MY AUTO START

BG
AZN G RYDE,

It's really easy to make your radio and other accessories turn on when you remote start your car. Go back to your installer and tell them that that's what you want. They'll just need to change a few wires and maybe add a relay.