Reconnect center brake light with spoiler light

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2001, 07:02 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Reconnect center brake light with spoiler light

I got my windows tinted before I got my spoiler and there is a cutout in the tint around the center brake light. When the spoiler went in they disconnected the center light so only the spoiler lights up. Now I was thinking of reconnecting the center light so that at least there will appear to be a reason why the tint is cut out around the light. My dealer said they will not do it because there will not be enough juice to light up all four lights. Is there a way to do this and is it ok to do. I know some people do not like the look, but I figure the more lights the less likely you are to get hit. Taking the tint off the back was not something my tint guy would advise. I figure I have only two choices. Leave it or make it light and justify the cutout. What do you think?
Old 05-03-2001, 07:06 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I say go for it if you want it, who cares what others say about it.
A couple members have done this as well. Both the spoiler and center brake light up.

If there is a cutout, I think it looks rather funny without the light coming on.

As far as how to do it... I have no clue. Sorry. But I'm sure someone here knows.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/phanthavong/mytl.html" TARGET=_blank>
</A>
Vin says 2001, but it's really a 2000 with an upgraded cupholder!!
Old 05-03-2001, 07:48 PM
Safety Car

To install a spoiler, you just unhook the rear brake light and tap into the wires that go to the rear brake light. Not sure how the dealer does it, but I would guess they just unplugged your brake light and either tapped into the wire and went to the spoiler or used some sort of plug to go to the spoiler. Look back there and see what you find.

You can hook up the rear light and spoiler light together just fine. I had this setup, then I took out my rear sub. At night you could see the rear light come on through the hole the sub was in and it looked like crap so I unhooked it.
Old 05-03-2001, 07:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This topic has been covered before.
The dealer is correct about this.
When you have the factory spoilers put on they will disconect the 3rd high mounted brake light. My 90 Accord with factory spoiler was done like this by dealer.
My 94 Accord with factory spoiler also was like this.My TL is also done like this all cars with factory spoilers are. The instructions prrobaly tell them to do it this way for some reason.
Old 05-03-2001, 08:22 PM
Instructor

I bet you could cut a piece of tint to fit in the space that was cut out. With the outline of the light assembly around it, it would hardly be noticeable. I am personally against the look of having all lights working - just my opinion.
Old 05-03-2001, 09:22 PM
Original Member #81

Have your tinter re-do the back window........if he's good there will be no problem w/ the defroster....that's what he's afraid of...

------------------
Comptech exhaust
Ground Control coilovers
Atlantic Performance 3" air intake
Wings West front air dam
18x7.5 Alstadts w/ 53mm offset
225/40/18 Kumho Ecsta Supras
Plastic on grill color matched
Razo shift knob
153mph Top Speed

194.8hp @ the wheels
www.atlanticperformance.com
Old 05-03-2001, 10:08 PM
Racer

Originally posted by WOODMAN:
I got my windows tinted before I got my spoiler and there is a cutout in the tint around the center brake light. When the spoiler went in they disconnected the center light so only the spoiler lights up. Now I was thinking of reconnecting the center light so that at least there will appear to be a reason why the tint is cut out around the light. My dealer said they will not do it because there will not be enough juice to light up all four lights. Is there a way to do this and is it ok to do. I know some people do not like the look, but I figure the more lights the less likely you are to get hit. Taking the tint off the back was not something my tint guy would advise. I figure I have only two choices. Leave it or make it light and justify the cutout. What do you think?
Two days ago, I installed my spoiler and hooked up the spoiler light without having to have any other lights not operate. It is very simple. Go down to radio shack and look for a wire splitter (like a splitter for cable tv but much smaller). You disconnect one of your brake light wires going into ther rear window brake light.
The splitter attaches to the power wire and the spoiler wire hooks into the splitter as well. Connect your brake light wire back in and your done. A 5 minute job at the most, all your lights work, and you don't need to cut a wire!

Summary: existing wire to brake light goes into one side of the splitter and the spoiler light goes into the other side of the splitter. Ground your wire to any screws in the trunk going to metal.

------------------
2000TL, Nighthawk Black Pearl, Comptech springs and sways, 35% tint, rear spoiler, Kicker Amp/SUB added to Bose system, Optional Factory Chrome Multi Spoke 16" Wheels
http://home.pacbell.net/sanuki/acura3.JPG
Old 05-03-2001, 10:15 PM
Racer

No problem with any of the lights. I think it looks fine, the more lights, the safer you are with all the tailgaiters around!

My splitter was blue, with two holes on either side (one was blocked, but should not matter). The splitter is open down the middle which allows the wires to slip in. There is a metal conductor in the middle of the splitter; which is the key. Crimp this down when you have the two wires inserted.
The splitter is about an inch long and 1/4 inch wide.
Old 05-04-2001, 07:47 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the ideas. I did not want to cut a piece of tint to fit beacause I was worried about the look of it and I also did not want to retint the whole thing because I was worried about the defroster and radio wires. I ended up going with my first choice and I followed what BlackTL2K said to do and it worked great!! I found the same connectors at radio shack and I used one for the black and one for the white wire. I think BlackTL2K only used one but I thought it would be better to use both. BTW, I think it looks really good with both lights on. I am very happy with it. My friend has a Passat and his dealer did that for him without him asking for it. I do not know how they did it but I liked it. Took me only ten minutes. Let me know if you have any questions and thanks again to BlackTL2K for the advice. It did take some thought at first to visualize what I was supposed to do but then it clicked and was a snap.