The rebirth of my 2003 TL progress report

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The rebirth of my 2003 TL progress report

Well...Its coming along...just thought I'd share..

As I explained earlier..My wife drives my Type S to work and I drive her Toyota Camry (2000) to work. I work in DC and she works not that far from home. Well, the toyota has about had it and of course when I mention it..she would like a new car. SO...she is the mother of my vertically challenged ones and she carts them around (along with the fact that she doesnt say a word about my other toys) so new car (new-used car) hunting she goes and Ill take my Type S back. So, rebirth list started...

6 months ago I replaced the timing belt and plugs..
K&N air filter just put in..
Resonator removed...
Cabin air filter replaced (FILTHY)
Headlight fixed (for now -lets see if the seal worked)
cleaned the HELL out of the inside..
Wipers replaced (Bosch ICON)

I just did the motor mounts and I am not too happy with it right now. I bought the motor mounts from Excelerate (street)..IM NOT PUTTING THEM DOWN AT ALL!! The mounts are TOP NOTCH. Good quality and will probably outlast the car. I just didnt expect as much vibration to come through as it is. Especially at a stop. I checked for vacuum leaks and the idles fine just vibrates...The front and side motor mount were completely TOAST..But I think the rear still had fluid in it! I was suprised..I couldnt see any tears in it but I don think it held vacuum..Oh well..

Next week:
going to change out the power steering fluid and Transmission flush. Friend of mine is a Distributor of BG products..GREAT STUFF..

Im also NOT happy with the brakes. My wife had the brakes done and paid a good $$$ for it (I was out of town for a quick minute). The rotos quickly warped. Ive had them turned twice now by them. It just comes back...NOT HAPPY EITHER...

All and all the car is in pretty good condition..Interior is now PRISTINE..No rust (150,000 miles) but the clear coat did fail at the pillars...
Old 02-01-2014, 06:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
Post some pics.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
There's a fine line that must be walked when dealing with the balance of "vertically challenged ones" and toys. At this point, your wife deserves the more dependable vehicle and you can prioritize the necessary PM to keep your TL going strong for a few more years down the road.

Everything that you need to know about your TL has been previously experienced and explained in great detail, if you take the time to research what ever may concern you with keeping the TL in tip-top shape. Your toy !!!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
There's a fine line that must be walked when dealing with the balance of "vertically challenged ones" and toys. At this point, your wife deserves the more dependable vehicle and you can prioritize the necessary PM to keep your TL going strong for a few more years down the road.

Everything that you need to know about your TL has been previously experienced and explained in great detail, if you take the time to research what ever may concern you with keeping the TL in tip-top shape. Your toy !!!
Completely agree. this site is great and i have learned a lot...Rotors/Brakes soon!