Rear View Mirror exploded!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This just Happend to and I ordered a new mirror but how can u tell if its the new design? Mine says magna on the back. Is it the older model? I ordered mine from oem Acura parts.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:35 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by toydriven808
This just Happend to and I ordered a new mirror but how can u tell if its the new design? Mine says magna on the back. Is it the older model? I ordered mine from oem Acura parts.
The old and new part numbers are given a few posts up in this thread; you can check with the vendor and see which part you are getting.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Pro

do you honestly think they would actually still be selling the old model that leaks?.. yes, its the new model..
Old 11-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I wouldnt put it past someone to find a dusty one on the shelf and sell it as new!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magna Donnelly is actually responsible. They manufacture and sell these rear view mirrrors to Acura, Honda, Mercedez, Land Rover, etc., etc.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Team Owner

not anymore!!
acura went to a different maker a few years ago,,MD has no reason to comp exchanges now,, and does not~

Dealers such as our sponsor DelRay Acura can hook you up--he has a current special of 70 dollars!! thats half off retail
Old 06-13-2012, 10:55 AM
2nd Gear

Just FYI, The danger of that liquid in the older mirrors has been greatly exaggerated by some of the posters on this forum. I would not drink it, but if you get it on your skin it's no big deal. I have touched it myself many times. Some of the older posts make it sound like it is the blood from an "Alien" (remember that movie) and will burn right through the floor of your car. Not true. Mirrors made after '02 or '03 (somewhere in there) are filled with more of a gel, (similar in consistancy to vasoline) than a liquid. If you notice a bubble or a line across the mirror it means the seal has failed and air has gotten into the space between the front and back glass. If this happenes consider taking the mirror out of your car or bag it like some of the older posts have explained. There is no danger to you, but it could stain the interior of your car if it leaks. Later mirrors with the gel inside are much less likley to leak even with a bad seal than the early fluid filled ones.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:33 PM
The Rebel INS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
20 pages on non-exploding exploding mirrors...

how about someone tell me what's up with my passenger rearview instead; the memory setting, and reverse. that fucks up the memory position of the mirror after backing up. the motor bottoms out on itself, so it misplaces the actually memory of the spot it should be.

and then other times, the mirror just stays put when i back up and nothing changes. (which i obviously prefer). but other times, i open the doors with the remote, and that causes the mirror to go all way and bottom on itself to where it thinks it should be. to re-compensate, i have to bottom out the mirror on itself a couple of times in the top position, to trick the mirror to thinking it's higher than it is and save that as my driving position, then the next time i back up or activate the unlock, it lowers itself to a reasonable position with a good view. where it pretty much should be. but i think it thinks it's positioned somewhere else.

maybe i should manually force it with my hands and then when the power's on, it'll think it's in the same place.

confusing.

is there a way to just either cancel the tilt down in reverse feature without cutting power to the rest of the adjustments? at worst, i'll just take off all power to the passenger mirror. i don't need it to move ever...

Last edited by inSPECtah deck; 06-13-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Team Owner

Yes - flip the selector switch to the left mirror
need to make a new thread on `passenger mirror motor prob`
this is for the exploding mirror inside the car

that stuff is bad news--one ziner came back to the car and thought soda had spilt on their sunglasses,,licked them to clean
and spent some time in the Emergency Room !!!!

got a $$ payoff from the maker and had to sign a non-disclosure of what badness was inside them
Others report difficulty in removing stain from leather seats
so as a general rule- if its failing replace it

if you have a bad mirror, as I noted a few post ago- delray acura and others hook us up in the 70-75$ range for a brand new ~non-hazmat~ style mirror assembly,,retail 150$
Old 10-16-2012, 04:32 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

I'm glad I found this thread. Mine just formed a bubble last night:

Old 10-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bluenoise
Mine did the same thing Saturday. I have about 5 ZipLoc bags around it for now. I'm getting another one from Acura & having them install it, so I don't fuck up & end up costing me a windshield. Put some ZipLoc bags on it right now. It's kinda like a baggie diaper for your mirror. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts
I drove around with this issue for a few years on my '01 TL. I wasn't a member of the forum and was honestly too lazy to look the issue up. There are the extreme cases, but rest assured it's not every situation.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:26 PM
5th Gear

01tl4tl, I sent you a pm but realized that since I'm new to this forum, I might not be able to get pms yet.

This past weekend the oval liquid shape appeared in my rear view mirror. I would like to replace it before it gets worse and explodes.

Why hasn't there been a recall with all the people that have had serious problems? Everyone should have been reporting it to NHTSA, they investigate all complaints, so they say.

My question is, how do I know if the replacement I get is a safer model?
Old 11-28-2012, 04:41 PM
5th Gear

As an add-on to my above post, I have a factory installed GPS in my '04 MDX. Does that complicate the installation?
Old 11-29-2012, 01:18 AM
Team Owner

dont know if your mirror exactly the same as ours which only have auto-dim feature
does your gps show up in display?

look in `the black market` sponsored sales threads or see vendor list (next to log out) for dealers who support us, and cut us a deal beyond normal deals~
delay had a special for our mirror a while back for 75,,so did another acura dealer that was a new sponsor,, for 80 bucks
always mention acurazine when calling!

you local dealer may match the mirror price too,,never hurts to ask

a glass shop is the place to have it installed for 20 bucks (if same as ours)
let them carry the liability!

this being a tech help forum -it gets more reports on problems
of all the cars with this mirror- not that many actually fail and explode!!
note: they have changed the fluid inside so its not hazmat
Old 11-29-2012, 01:21 AM
Team Owner

recalls are for major safety driveabilty issues,,brakes,steering, fires etc

in the beginning,,,, acura was comping the replacements,,then the maker swapped them with customers direct by mail..that ended...
and I think someplace else is making them now so its buy a new one and find the deal~
Old 11-29-2012, 02:10 AM
5th Gear

01tl4tl, I'm not sure what you mean about the gps showing up in the display. My mirror does have the auto-dim feature, and there's a small green light on the bottom when it's turned on.

I spoke to Delray Acura (AcuraOEMParts.com) and they still have a special price for the replacement mirror. Since I bought the car there with an extended warranty (now expired), and have had it serviced there, I was told they would install it for a reduced cost. He told me it is normally an hour of labor.

On this forum I learned that it only takes a few minutes to switch it out, and that some people have paid only $20-$35 for the labor. So I'm not sure that a "reduced cost" for an hour of labor ($130+) is that great a deal.

They also couldn't assure me that it was an improved version of the mirror, or if it was still made by Magna, since they don't have any i stock.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Team Owner

its the new one,,has been for a few years!!
the green power on light is on the opposite side -thats how you can tell new from old

reduced cost--did you ignore where I said they sublet to a glass shop--where you could pay 20 bucks,,
dealer marks it up 100 dollars! for their trouble of making a phone call
thats not a deal for you

buy the mirror for 80 bucks and take it to a local glass place
Old 11-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Team Owner

you mentioned your car having gps...implying it was a special mirror> some cars have a display window in the mirror for compass heading,,temp etc
I only know about my 01 TL,,everything else is a guess
Old 11-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
its the new one,,has been for a few years!!
the green power on light is on the opposite side -thats how you can tell new from old

reduced cost--did you ignore where I said they sublet to a glass shop--where you could pay 20 bucks,,
dealer marks it up 100 dollars! for their trouble of making a phone call
thats not a deal for you

buy the mirror for 80 bucks and take it to a local glass place
This was true for a while, but then it changed again so the light was on the same side. Even on those, you could see a difference in the shape and location of the opening around the light. There's also a date code stamped into the plastic housing.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Team Owner

thanks trash,,I dont keep up with it,,got mine swapped years ago
Old 12-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Original Owner / Oct 1998

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't know if I'm being a bad-boy for posting it here, but I have the improved replacement auto-dim factory mirror from our '99, for sale. PM me for details.

The darn thing only takes 30 minutes to swap out...
Old 04-23-2013, 07:57 PM
7th Gear

same thing happend to mine!!!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Timmer71
Just FYI, The danger of that liquid in the older mirrors has been greatly exaggerated by some of the posters on this forum. I would not drink it, but if you get it on your skin it's no big deal. I have touched it myself many times. Some of the older posts make it sound like it is the blood from an "Alien" (remember that movie) and will burn right through the floor of your car. Not true. Mirrors made after '02 or '03 (somewhere in there) are filled with more of a gel, (similar in consistancy to vasoline) than a liquid. If you notice a bubble or a line across the mirror it means the seal has failed and air has gotten into the space between the front and back glass. If this happenes consider taking the mirror out of your car or bag it like some of the older posts have explained. There is no danger to you, but it could stain the interior of your car if it leaks. Later mirrors with the gel inside are much less likley to leak even with a bad seal than the early fluid filled ones.
Timmer: My 2002 Acura leaked all over the shift lever area and splashed onto the seats. The material from the mirror ate into the plastic parts around the shift lever like I'd never seen. There is no way that stuff isn't very dangerous when it can do that to relatively inert plastic. I took pictures and the Acura dealer replaced all the parts and the mirror and even the leather on the two front seats. I would say that by your post you haven't see what this liquid can do and without that information you shouldn't say people are exaggerating. I saw it. It's bad stuff!
Old 04-24-2013, 05:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^Are you saying this was done recently, and at no cost to you? If so, it sounds like pretty good customer service on an 11 year old car.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TLer trash
^^Are you saying this was done recently, and at no cost to you? If so, it sounds like pretty good customer service on an 11 year old car.
No, it was done in 2008 and yes the dealer was good (Palm Beach Acura) but I had pictures of it which I intended to go online with and possibly pursue recall, plus my mother had purchased 3 Acura cars from him, had all the service done, etc. We today have a 2006 and a 2012 TSX. I was very pleased that the dealer decided to fix it but the way that mirror leaked and deteriorated all the parts where the liquid dripped down was totally unacceptable collateral damage as a result of a known faulty part.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:04 PM
Cruisin'

Mine has been bubbled for sometime now, I should probably just replace it to avoid any other drama... Anyone have one to sell me..
Old 06-26-2013, 03:38 PM
5th Gear

i was not aware this was such a common problem.. thought i was the only one...

this shit happened over 2 years ago so what do i do now.. the black gooey stuff stained my shift plate and i've been using my sister's broadway snap on mirror ever since.

just tried contacting magna donnelly but all the phone numbers i call say i need an extension line. wut da fuq.

what do i dooooo
Old 06-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sopa
i was not aware this was such a common problem.. thought i was the only one...

this shit happened over 2 years ago so what do i do now.. the black gooey stuff stained my shift plate and i've been using my sister's broadway snap on mirror ever since.

just tried contacting magna donnelly but all the phone numbers i call say i need an extension line. wut da fuq.

what do i dooooo
Easy.... buy a mirror. They list for about $120, discounted price about $85. Don't bother with used, you'll end up with what you've already got. I just priced one for my wife's 02 avalon,.... over $700!...also magna donnelly. I'm sure at this point that they don't care about or want to hear about 10+ year old mirrors.
The following users liked this post:
3.2TLc (06-26-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 01:54 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by TLer trash
Easy.... buy a mirror. They list for about $120, discounted price about $85. Don't bother with used, you'll end up with what you've already got. I just priced one for my wife's 02 avalon,.... over $700!...also magna donnelly. I'm sure at this point that they don't care about or want to hear about 10+ year old mirrors.
thats true.. that car is just falling apart in general

thanks for the advice, tho! but should i try to get a replacement shift plate or is it not worth it..? what do u think
Old 07-20-2013, 12:31 PM
9th Gear

When I went and picked this car up from the dealership after getting the tranny rebuilt I noticed what looked like a cigarette burn on the shifter plate. Also, the rear view mirror was all blurry but there was nothing on the surface. Naturally pissed I asked the salesperson and all he could offer was his apology.

Got home and did some surfing and realized the damage was caused by the corrosive liquid that had leaked from the mirror. So next day I took the car to the Acura and the service manager said she had never seen anything like it. I asked for a replacement under good will but the best she could offer was the mirror at $95 installed and the shifter plate $250 installed. I ended up calling Acura Customer Service right from the dealership and the women there kept saying that it was a 10 year old car. I said, that I would pay for the shifter myself but wanted the mirror replaced without charge as it was a safety issue. She replied that she didn't agree but if I insisted would escalate the matter to the "appeals" department.

When I asked her what she meant by that, she replied that she would speak with her manager and make a final decision. What a joke. I'm not asking for the moon but my car has 78,000 original miles. Very disappointed with their so called customer service... if this liquid can eat through plastic what would have happened if it had "exploded" and got all over my kids face and eyes. I've had at least half a dozen Hondas before and I swear if I can't get this resolved satisfactorily, it will be my very last. My next car will be a Lexus.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Angry blurry mirror and cig burn.....

Originally Posted by nsharma1999
When I went and picked this car up from the dealership after getting the tranny rebuilt I noticed what looked like a cigarette burn on the shifter plate. Also, the rear view mirror was all blurry but there was nothing on the surface. Naturally pissed I asked the salesperson and all he could offer was his apology.

So next day I took the car to the Acura and the service manager said she had never seen anything like it. I asked for a replacement under good will but the best she could offer was the mirror at $95 installed and the shifter plate $250 installed.

I ended up calling Acura Customer Service right from the dealership and the women there kept saying that it was a 10 year old car. I said, that I would pay for the shifter myself but wanted the mirror replaced without charge as it was a safety issue. She replied that she didn't agree but if I insisted would escalate the matter to the "appeals" department.

I've had at least half a dozen Hondas before and I swear if I can't get this resolved satisfactorily, it will be my very last. My next car will be a Lexus.
Blurred mirrors and cig burns are things that will occasionally happen after ten years of use and or abuse, consider yourself lucky to have had the tranny replaced by the selling dealer. Do ya want new tires too ???
Old 07-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is this considered something that is on recall? Will acura dealership take care of replacing a problem like this free of charge? Any stipulations??

Originally Posted by bluenoise

Old 07-20-2013, 09:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Question Rearview mirror .....free replacement ?

not anymore!!
acura went to a different maker a few years ago,,MD has no reason to comp exchanges now,, and does not~

Dealers such as our sponsor DelRay Acura can hook you up--he has a current special of 70 dollars!! thats half off retail

Ha, hah....try your luck !!! Ya want new tires too, huh ?
Just go out and buy a new one for less than $100.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:15 AM
5th Gear

Glad I came across this thread my mirror has been bad since I bought the car and had no idea what was wrong with it the whole thing looked like it had been tinted except one small bubble area. Could someone post a link to a good resource for a new mirror? I realize its probably Ben mentioned but coulnt find myself going thru the entire 20 page 10 year old thread lol
Old 07-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Check the site's "Black Market" subforum.
Some of the sponsor vendors offer discounts. Should be less than $100.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Advanced

Mine had the halo and bubble a few years ago. Removing that was a bit tricky since its glued to the windshield but juggling it a few times, it popped out. I just bought a $15 mirror from Advance Auto Parts and fixed it below the old one. Hassle free and didn't have to spend the $$$ bucks....
Old 07-24-2013, 10:34 AM
Team Owner

there are dealers who sponsor this site- their special section is inside The Black Market..sponsored sales
or look in vendor link at top of pages
call direct--should hook you up for about 80 dollars-half of retail
the only new mirror made to fit is from the dealer

removal is when the glass gets broken..by excessive wiggling
see our diy section for how to release the hidden lock clip
or glass shops do it for 20-30 bucks
Old 09-28-2014, 03:22 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there are dealers who sponsor this site- their special section is inside The Black Market..sponsored sales
or look in vendor link at top of pages
call direct--should hook you up for about 80 dollars-half of retail
the only new mirror made to fit is from the
removal is when the glass gets broken..by excessive wiggling
see our diy section for how to release the hidden lock clip
or glass shops do it for 20-30 bucks
I am about to remove mirror from glass wanting to know is there a clip to push in to remove mirror? I've read all threads that would relate to 06tl just don't want to break glass:/
Old 09-28-2014, 06:35 PM
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
^ Slide the mirror down towards the dashboard and parallel with windshield. I replaced mine a week ago or so. It was a breeze. I found a deal on ebay for $40 shipped. It was from 07 tl as well.

Quick Reply: Rear View Mirror exploded!