Rear View Mirror exploded!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
mine went into a large ziplock and tape around it to stay secure until replacement,,wife objected to its restricted view--ptttt learn to drive off the side mirrors~

Had that same oval as in pic,,not the edge bubbles that seem to be the real exploders
Heat plays a role in that too

there is a way to tell new from old units- the side on which the power light is located is swapped

I would not expect a new one on the bay- dealers will cut you a deal in most cases
The following users liked this post:
beowuff (09-01-2011)
Old 05-02-2010, 02:56 AM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob_F
Good advice.

I'd probably wrap it in in paper towels and a couple of ZipLoc bags since the fluid in the mirror has been reporterd to chew up plastic console parts. And you might want to put a towel over you console. Or, better yet, remove it all together.

And watch out if you try to buy a used mirror. Many of the old mirrors with the faulty design ended up in places like eBay.
Will do, thanks!! I would never buy a used mirror- especially after reading about the dangers of the harmful chemicals in the mirrors.

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
mine went into a large ziplock and tape around it to stay secure until replacement,,wife objected to its restricted view--ptttt learn to drive off the side mirrors~

Had that same oval as in pic,,not the edge bubbles that seem to be the real exploders
Heat plays a role in that too

there is a way to tell new from old units- the side on which the power light is located is swapped

I would not expect a new one on the bay- dealers will cut you a deal in most cases
Plastic bag jammed with paper towels, a half gallon garbage bag, plus a large 1 gallon garbage bag should be suffice until I figure out how to rip off this mirror! I assume it's the same as the 2G TL's because I have the screws where the sunglass holder is also.

The newer side view mirrors use electric power, not liquids I assume? I didn't look at the 04' RL's autodimming so i'm not quite sure.

When I call the dealer, anything in particular I should say to see if they'd cut me a deal? Maybe something along the lines of "Your OEM Acura rear-view mirror contains hazardous materials to the human body, and many people have had their rear view mirrors explode, yet no recalls have ever happened."

Thanks for all your help, I greatly appreciate it!
Old 05-02-2010, 07:37 AM
2000 TL Black on Beige

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by onebadna1nsx

When I call the dealer, anything in particular I should say to see if they'd cut me a deal?
Acura no longer deals with the mirrors. And they claim there was no instruction to take care of people who complain about it.

Their supplier, Magna, for a time, apparently did a free swap-out.

Magna no longer does the swap. They have an electronics firm handling interior mirror issues, Sybesma’s Electronics, 616-392-6911, who will swap mirrors for $75 plus shipping, or rebuild the existing mirror if it is unavailable.

I did call both companies, but bought a new mirror from DelRayAcura for about $80.

It is in and working perfectly! The tools were a phillips screwdriver, a small slotted screwdriver, and a banging implement [pliers].

76400-SEP-A02ZA MIRROR ASSY., REARVIEW (AUTO DAY/NIGHT) ( BLACK ) 2000 TL 103.62 list 77.72 sell
Old 05-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Team Owner

thats good info- thanks for the update

many acura dealers will cut you a match price around 75- I would go in person to parts manager and ask for a deal
they know all about the mirror issue
Old 06-09-2010, 01:41 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow... I'm just reading all of this because I had a smillar situation but the fluid didn't leak out. Bought a new one for dealership oneline and replaced it. Really glad I didn't hold out much longer because its getting hotter everyday out here...
Old 06-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Team Owner

welcome to acurazine
glad you got yours replaced before it was a serious issue
Have a read of the Problem and Fixes section for other things to watch out for
Old 07-07-2010, 09:47 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2002 TL type S and the rear view mirror exploded a few days back. It caused permanent damage to the shift plate and passenger seat. I tried calling the local Acura dealer and Magna, neither are interested in getting involved. I bought a replacement online and replaced it myself. Great instructions here:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...1_Acura_TL_3.2

Since the mirror could have exploded while I was driving which could have resulted in a fatal accident, I filed a complaint with SaverCar.gov http://www.safercar.gov/
I encourage everyone who has encountered this problem to file a complaint. This should have been been recalled years ago by Honda. It is dangerous! Don't expect Honda to do the right thing unless they are forced to (like the class action lawsuit for the transmission issues).
Old 07-08-2010, 01:14 AM
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Can the leak be avoided by shutting off the mirror?
Old 07-08-2010, 03:34 AM
Team Owner

no - its some internal problem
If you get the oval in the middle or the dots on the edge, replace it
dealers have been selling new ones for $75, thats half of what it used to cost!

the post by the new ziner above yours,, shows not everyone already knows of the problem
Its common knowledge on here~
You wont get a recall started because not enough units fail like that- some will last thruout the cars life with no problems
Just like some will have trans failures.. and others will have no idea there is a problem

TL2002 how long have you had the car??
Did you get symptoms for a while but didnt know what they meant? discoloration, failure of auto tint feature, spots or the oval?
Was it hot inside the car when it exploded?

ck the Wash and Wax section for help on cleanup
Its a `hazmat` stuff so be careful
There is a great DIY with pics here on acurazine in the Garage (diy) section for the mirror assembly replacement
Old 07-08-2010, 03:35 AM
Team Owner

the post by the new ziner above yours,, shows not everyone already knows of the problem
You wont get a recall started because not enough units fail like that- some will last thruout the cars life with no problems
Just like some will have trans failures.. and others will have no idea there is a problem

Did you get symptoms for a while but didnt know what they meant? discoloration, failure of auto tint feature, spots or the oval?

There is a great DIY with pics here on acurazine in the Garage (diy) section for the mirror assembly replacement
Old 07-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TL2002owner
I have a 2002 TL type S and the rear view mirror exploded a few days back. It caused permanent damage to the shift plate and passenger seat. I tried calling the local Acura dealer and Magna, neither are interested in getting involved. I bought a replacement online and replaced it myself. Great instructions here:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...1_Acura_TL_3.2

Since the mirror could have exploded while I was driving which could have resulted in a fatal accident, I filed a complaint with SaverCar.gov http://www.safercar.gov/
I encourage everyone who has encountered this problem to file a complaint. This should have been been recalled years ago by Honda. It is dangerous! Don't expect Honda to do the right thing unless they are forced to (like the class action lawsuit for the transmission issues).
i will look into that as i too have spots in my rear view mirror
Old 07-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Team Owner

bubbles or spots on the edge--bad news: see the vendor list for dealers that cut us a break
see the early pages of this thread for pics of failure
Old 07-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Instructor

bubbles or spots on the edge--bad news: see the vendor list for dealers that cut us a break
see the early pages of this thread for pics of failure
thanks
Old 07-08-2010, 09:36 PM
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

Thank you very much! You always have amazing advice! I will look out for this! (I asked/posted as the previous owner had the mirror off when I first went to see it and when I purchased it [Ill ask him his reasoning and get back])
Old 07-09-2010, 01:41 AM
Team Owner

he was hiding the spots from you?!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well it seems like mine is on its way out, bubble on the top of it, but im going on a month long vacation and the car is gonna be parked up

01tl4tl

how much fluid is in there? would it be better for me to take it off or use ur ziplock bag trick, i think i read a post here that it eats thru plastic, so wont it eat thru the bag?

edit: after reading some more, i think im gonna take it off lol

Last edited by MurdaZ; 07-13-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Team Owner

the bag trick is for if you are worried until you get it replaced--not after its broken.. except as an emergency catch system--hopefully

You do not want this stuff sprayed inside the car,, so removal and store in mild temp is best bet
Old 07-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Team Owner

probably a few ounces of fluid, but according to reports it coats the center console-shifter, seats and dash!!
Old 07-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Mine busted a while back but the fluid never leaked. Im looking to get a new but after reading all the posts a used one is out of the question i guess. Where would be a good place to purchase one?
Old 07-25-2010, 01:20 AM
Instructor

Mine did this sometime in the last week. I'm not sure when it did it because I recently got my truck running again after changing the head gaskets; so I haven't been driving my TL, but yesterday I went into it to grab something and I noticed the mirror exploded. I'm not sure if it exactly exploded because there isn't any bubble or anything; all of the fluid is just puddled in the bottom.

Last fall the auto-dim did stop working, but it happened at the same time I had the windows tinted, so I figured not enough light was passing through anymore to make the mirror dim.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:07 AM
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

he was hiding the spots from you?!
No, I don't think so...
Are the spots/bubble present 24/7 or just in dimming.
I'll ask him why its off.
Are there two distinct modes (dim and bright) or does it vary.
If leaving it on has no effect on it going bust, may I just leave it on (or really should I leave it off)?
Old 07-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Team Owner

it can still leak bad stuff all over you

On the auto dim its on or off- no in between
Yes tints will disable the auto dim, but it still works when tested with a flashlight

see one of our sponsoring dealers for a new mirror unit- 75 bucks is the discounted price
Old 07-29-2010, 05:59 PM
5th Gear

Failure not just on Acuras

Appreciate the info here. The same thing happened to my BMW and this post has been helpful.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:00 PM
5th Gear

Liquid

By the way, has anyone been able to find out exactly what this fluid contains ? Thx
Old 07-29-2010, 06:53 PM
Team Owner

its secret- no kidding-
but it is known hazmat bad news stuff- DO NOT INGEST!

a few years ago one person who sued over getting the stuff on themself when it exploded - got an award, but confidentiality agreement came with it regardng contents.

That might have been the same person who saw something on their sunglasses - thought it was spilt soda and LICKED it off! emergency room visit followed...
Old 07-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Instructor

its secret- no kidding-
but it is known hazmat bad news stuff- DO NOT INGEST!

a few years ago one person who sued over getting the stuff on themself when it exploded - got an award, but confidentiality agreement came with it regardng contents.

That might have been the same person who saw something on their sunglasses - thought it was spilt soda and LICKED it off! emergency room visit followed...
hahaha who licks spilt soda off their sunglasses lmao
Old 07-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Team Owner

someone needing to see thru their glasses? imagine: you have kids, can of soda in center console is easily knocked around, your shades are laying there...
you get back in the car and find something that looks like??? you cant drive without shades...so you lick it!!
Its the American Way!

Not everyone carries baby wipes for such an emergency--
those are great for removing gas smell from hands after refueling too, and cleans bird droppings off paint quickly,,bird stuff eats paint so remove asap on sight

be nice about what happened- that person may still be a ziner~
Old 07-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Instructor

someone needing to see thru their glasses? imagine: you have kids, can of soda in center console is easily knocked around, your shades are laying there...
you get back in the car and find something that looks like??? you cant drive without shades...so you lick it!!
Its the American Way!

Not everyone carries baby wipes for such an emergency--
those are great for removing gas smell from hands after refueling too, and cleans bird droppings off paint quickly,,bird stuff eats paint so remove asap on sight

be nice about what happened- that person may still be a ziner~
Oh i was just surprised sorry didnt mean to be insensitive. And yeah it is easy to spill soda, my 01 cupholders suck
Old 07-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Team Owner

it wasnt me~
but I recall them being on the forum in the last year or 2- so a recovery was made but stomach problems were severe from the incident iirc

end result: if your mirror has the oval, or the bubbles on edge-and it doesnt dim anymore= get it out of the car and preferably dropped at the hazmat facilty in your area--not the regular landfill garbage please!!
Old 09-08-2010, 10:36 PM
10th Gear

are dealers still cutting the price on the mirrors? after a scorching day mine got a bubble at the top, spread down the middle, and pretty much took over the whole thing. guess i'll be using the ziploc and paper towel protection until i get it replaced.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:51 AM
Team Owner

yes--ck with the dealers that sponsor azine--see vendor directory next to log out box
Tell them you have a defect mirror unit--been running around 75$
Old 07-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Advanced

i'm looking to resurrect this thread. i have a 2004 silver TL and the rearview mirror just started forming this oval shape at the top that's getting bigger. After reading through all the threads and hearing what happened. I'm lost in who to contact now.
Things I know so far:
Magna Donnely does not replace the mirror anymore for free
There is no recall for this, only thing i found was a TSB for the loose spring

AND this is AFTER my darn passenger console cracked on the side of the side airbag.
Just about losing my love for this car. My 97 camry ran for 300,000 miles with no recalls.
My TL has had about 3 TSBs so far, I bought the extended warranty with it to.
I haven't called my Service Advisor yet but are there any precautions or steps i should take before calling? i've already put a ziploc bag under it. lol
Old 07-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Team Owner

a new maker is selling new mirrors thru the dealer network, old maker not doing them at all

there is no need for your dealer to do anything, unless parts dept will match our sponsoring dealers price of ~80,,retail about 140
a glass shop will install for 20 bucks so you dont have to risk breaking the winshield with a DIY project
dealer will double the price of install and may have glass shop or tech do it.

Ck out the Vendor link for list of who can hook you up and make some calls or messages, always mention acurazine as why you called them

TSB are Technical Service Bulletins, they are merely informational -for acura techs to quickly diagnose odd problems, Once someone finds a strange prob and cure- its added

Recalls are a different thing- always safety related- and govt/acura tracked for compliance by VIN number
the gen3 has a ps hose, wiper motor and few others by now

dealer is supposed to ck every time they see your car, but its better to register with acura care and ask a human 1 800 382 2238 x5
ask if ony OPEN recalls, those are not done yet
Old 07-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Team Owner

read you extended warranty, never know whats covered or excluded without a magnifying glass!

if covered call and tell them mirror has the `gen2 internal leak/oval issue` but your year

It does seem cars made after 99 or so, all makers went into overdrive production and cost cutting measures at the same time = going to screw up bad enough to need a recall on a steering shaft bolt...
or funny electronics...
Old 07-30-2011, 08:05 PM
Team Owner

put the ziplock around it,
raise bag up onto mirror- zip closed as able, take up excess and secure with tape

avoid parking in the sun, heat definetly adds to the danger windows closed on 100 day,,,you may have a toxic mess awaiting your return,,
thats how it happens--if you are lucky...to be out of the car when it explodes!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:23 PM
5abi dee CL-S

Yeah..I had mine turn the color few weeks ago but no leakage yet..Checked them on ebay but surprisingly dealers have it for $76 CAD!!
There is apparently a new part # replacing the old one..

Old part # 76400-50kA01ZA
New part# 76400-SEP-A02ZA

I'm assuming the new mirror does not contain any of that nasty liquid as they have upgraded or rectified the faulty ones!!
Old 08-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
My '04 manual TL, which has been garage kept its entire life, just surprised me yesterday with a strange looking semi-oval "clear" spot at top center of my rear view mirror, about four inches long and an inch+ high. The other part of the mirror not affected by this oval reflected images that were distorted and with ghost secondary images.

After researching on this site for a little bit this morning, I enclosed the mirror in a freezer 1-gallon ZipLock bag, then using my Service Manual, and some logic, I removed the mirror and packed it in a small cooler (no ice) to take to Pohanka on Monday. Their parts department knows about this problem, said it was pretty common, and has the newer mirrors in stock.

Glad this didn't happen a few weeks ago when I was on vacation.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
glad u were able to take yours out.. was it easy? i tried to be extra careful when taking mine out on my 01 tl and it was a PITA! ended up with a cracked windshield. wasnt too butt hurt about it though because i already had 2 small cracks that were gettting bigger.. $76 for a new mirror and $169 for a windshield and im back in business.. lmao
Old 09-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yup.. so it finally happened to me too.. maybe the ridiculous heat this summer finally got to it..

on tuesday going to work i noticed "the bubble" about 1"x3" towards the top of the mirror.. when i got to work, i grabbed a shop rag to put over it until i got a new one to protect from SOME of the heat.. wednesday when i got in my car to go to work, noticed that "the bubble" was now most of the mirror.. got home from work that day and ordered one from hondapartsunlimited.com for $87 shipped (2day).. got it today and swapped them out with no problem at all.. got lucky and didnt have to deal with the liquid.. *whew*
Old 10-26-2011, 12:56 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Mista Juice is lucky. I had never heard of a rearview mirror leaking, but on a hot day this summer I went out to my car and found that mine had leaked. Fortunately the liquid landed mostly on the shifter faceplate. I think several days had passed by the time I discovered the mess. I tried to clean it up with some tissues, but it was very sticky and I decided to finish the job later. I procrastinated, and by the time I went to clean up the rest with a wet rag it had all solidified completely without changing in appearance. It looks like a bird took a crap on my shifter faceplate. Fortunately, I never noticed any unusual odor at all. I wonder if there's more liquid in the mirror that could still leak out.

Let's see if I can embed some photos in this post. If the photos aren't visible below you can see them here: https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...617EECCA88!103

<iframe title ="Preview" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" style="width:122px;height:137px;padding:0;backgrou nd-color:#fcfcfc;" src="https://skydrive.live.com/embedalbum.aspx/Acura%20TL%20Type%20S?cid=e6d2c7617eecca88&sc=phot os"></iframe>

Quick Reply: Rear View Mirror exploded!