Rear Driver's Side Door Won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 04:06 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rear Driver's Side Door Won't Open

2001 Acura TL Type-S

The outside driver's side rear door handle stopped working a while ago. I could still open the door with the inside handle. Then the inside handle stopped. Now my door is stuck. The handles move as normal, but they don't release the door. I need to get the door open as the window in that door has now fallen into the door and needs to be set back on the track or the clip needs to be replaced.

1. How do I get the door open so I can take it apart and fix with stinkin' window?

2. What might be broken with the door handles so I can research it ahead of time and perhaps have parts?

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2017, 07:38 AM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
If you climb into your backseat, there's a few screws on the door hidden by plastic caps. Pry the caps out with a flat-head screwdriver and use a Phillips head on the screws. Then you can pop out the inner door handle (move it a bit forward and then either up or down - can't quite recall).
From here you ought to be able to manually toggle the latch and open the door. This'll give you some more space to lift the plastic door cover up and off the door itself, unplugging the window switch along the way.
I haven't done any door handle repairs, but it looked like they're made of plastic, so that may have snapped - these parts are easy to pull at a junkyard if you find one matching your color.