RE: CompuStar Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 06:23 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE: CompuStar Alarm

Hey guys,

I have the CompuStar Alarm with Remote Start (Model Number: 2WFMR w/LCD). This is kind of old seeing that I purchased it around April 2002 and still haven't installed it on my '99 3.2 TL. Just my luck, that I have some bullshit viper alarm on it and my headlights get stolen.

Now here is where I need everyones opinion in regards to installing my alarm with every possible option that I have with this alarm. Besides what comes with the alarm, what else can I add to my car that is compatible with the CompuStar system to better protect it against thieves and vandals? I know that there is no sure fire way of stopping them, but I want to give myself the best chance I have of protecting my car when in a unknown neighborhood. Oh by the way, I live in NYC!

What extra essentials can I add to the Alarm System that will better protect my car and where on the car can I install them so that the thieves would have a very hard time getting to it and turning it off?

I was thinking about the following items to install along with the CompuStar:

1. Loud Horns (Which brand is the best?)
2. Backup Battery Siren (Which brand is the best?)
3. (3) Motion Sensors - 1 in each headlight and 1 inside the armrest so when the
window is open and the car is running that no one can stick there hands inside
the car. (Which Motion Sensors are the best and also compatible with
CompuStar?)

If I missed something, can anyone please help me out...if anyone could recommend the brands that is of the best quality and compatible with the CompuStar unit, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks to all,
Old 04-09-2005, 12:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Compustar I installed back when my car was new in 2002 (I was a pro audio installer for 15 years). Any brand of Air Horns will do the trick, and you can use any brand of motion sensor too. I used a Clifford Intelisensor rather than the shock sensor supplied with the Compustar. (I had the sensor from my last car alarm and it never falsed so chose to reuse it. I don't know if the still sell these anymore. ) There are various so called proximity sensors that you can also use that will detect if someone sticks their hand inside a window. Dont worry about someone trying to steal the car when you remote start it. The car shuts off when the bake pedal is depressed if the key isnt in the ignition.

Probably the best advice i can give you is to make sure you have a very neatly installed alarm. Careful installation makes all the difference in reliability.

Originally Posted by jiggaman2333
Hey guys,

I have the CompuStar Alarm with Remote Start (Model Number: 2WFMR w/LCD). This is kind of old seeing that I purchased it around April 2002 and still haven't installed it on my '99 3.2 TL. Just my luck, that I have some bullshit viper alarm on it and my headlights get stolen.

Now here is where I need everyones opinion in regards to installing my alarm with every possible option that I have with this alarm. Besides what comes with the alarm, what else can I add to my car that is compatible with the CompuStar system to better protect it against thieves and vandals? I know that there is no sure fire way of stopping them, but I want to give myself the best chance I have of protecting my car when in a unknown neighborhood. Oh by the way, I live in NYC!

What extra essentials can I add to the Alarm System that will better protect my car and where on the car can I install them so that the thieves would have a very hard time getting to it and turning it off?

I was thinking about the following items to install along with the CompuStar:

1. Loud Horns (Which brand is the best?)
2. Backup Battery Siren (Which brand is the best?)
3. (3) Motion Sensors - 1 in each headlight and 1 inside the armrest so when the
window is open and the car is running that no one can stick there hands inside
the car. (Which Motion Sensors are the best and also compatible with
CompuStar?)

If I missed something, can anyone please help me out...if anyone could recommend the brands that is of the best quality and compatible with the CompuStar unit, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks to all,
Old 04-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Racer

hey, how much does airhorns usually cost? i was also wondering, i have the whelen strobe kit that im about to install, i was wondering, if its anywhere near possible to have it where if my alarm were to go on. my strobes will kick in and do their job. i have a aftermarket clifford alarm installed currently.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

The airhorns themselves are cheap. about $35 bucks. I am not sure what this strobe kit is you are referring to, but with a relay, anything can be wired up work with an alarm.

Originally Posted by 4u2nv
hey, how much does airhorns usually cost? i was also wondering, i have the whelen strobe kit that im about to install, i was wondering, if its anywhere near possible to have it where if my alarm were to go on. my strobes will kick in and do their job. i have a aftermarket clifford alarm installed currently.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 2002AcuraTL
The airhorns themselves are cheap. about $35 bucks. I am not sure what this strobe kit is you are referring to, but with a relay, anything can be wired up work with an alarm.

strobe kits.. that the law enforcements use on their cars. the hidden ones. dunno if im explaining it well. will the airhorns be easy to install on my own if i were tp get one right now?
Old 04-09-2005, 01:36 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

i suggest strobes and piezo siren from clifford. that lil thing is LOUDDDDDDDD
Old 04-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, the Compustar has an output wire for airhorns if I remember correctly. This is important if you dont disable the armed and disarmed chirps on the alarm because otherwise the airhorns will start to blow just a tad whenever you arm or disarm, which kinda sucks at night. I have the arm/disarm chirps turned off on my alarm because the remote beeps anyway when you set the alarm so its redunant to have the car make noise also.

Originally Posted by 4u2nv
strobe kits.. that the law enforcements use on their cars. the hidden ones. dunno if im explaining it well. will the airhorns be easy to install on my own if i were tp get one right now?
Old 04-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Here's how I mounted my airhorns behind front grill for extra impact. The first pic shows the bracket I made from a piece of flatbar I bought at the home Depot for a few bucks. The bracket attaches to the car at the top and bottom then the airhorn turmpets attach to it. The top is held in place with the same bolt that holds the top of the AC condensor in place.

Here are the airhorns mounted in place. Note also the location of siren in the middle. (the other module visible in the pic is the remote radar head.)

Just make sure the trumpets are pointed downward otherwise water will get into them and ruin them.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:09 AM
Intermediate

Compustar install question

Originally Posted by 2002AcuraTL
Here's how I mounted my airhorns behind front grill for extra impact. The first pic shows the bracket I made from a piece of flatbar I bought at the home Depot for a few bucks. The bracket attaches to the car at the top and bottom then the airhorn turmpets attach to it. The top is held in place with the same bolt that holds the top of the AC condensor in place.

Here are the airhorns mounted in place. Note also the location of siren in the middle. (the other module visible in the pic is the remote radar head.)

Just make sure the trumpets are pointed downward otherwise water will get into them and ruin them.

Hey 2002AcuraTL,

I'm attempting to install a compustar alarm in my 2002TL and am wondering if you still have any of the wiring notes from your install. I have the directwire wiring information for my vehicle but seems like it is a bit tricky to match up the right wires if you're not in the industry.

I'm new to car alarm installs but I have a degree in EE. You think I should be able to get by?

Regards,
Jimmy
Old 08-10-2005, 04:09 AM
Intermediate

whoops meant to a private message my bad.