RDX wheels on 2gTL some questions still after research

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 12:26 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX wheels on 2gTL some questions still after research

so I have found some RDX 19 inch sparkling silver rims with tires for a great price
I need new tires and have the current stock 16 inch wheels
the RDX wheels are the same lug pattern and bore size
but I have some concerns about going so big, I don't want to drop or do suspension work so it would be at stock ride height, is it going to rub? (assuming they are the stock mxv4m 245/45/19), as well will it look ridiculous because of the ride height?
my other questions are ride quality, and speedometer calibration
had a friend with a CL-S and honeycombs off a TL-s it rode like crap.....complete crap on the 17's can I expect similar or is it just going to feel stiffer since there is less of a sidewall
as well calibration of the speedo since I know it will be thrown off pretty much by about 10 mph at 70
sorry for all the questions and beating a dead horse (yes there is a thread but it's almost 4 years old and the other thread is a 3rd gen tl thread)
any help is greatly appreciated
Old 05-31-2013, 01:15 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
I wanted upgrade to the 2nd Gen TL-S rims on my '00 TL, but couldn't find a decent set at a good price.

It is odd to hear about your friend's CL-S, but it is also important to remember a big part of ride quality is wheel balance. I'm not sure what your friend did, nor am I assuming, but it is not as simple as putting some rubber on the rims. The process of properly balancing a tire is something I would only trust to a wheel balancing machine.

As far as going from a 16 inch rim to a 19 inch rim, you might start to feel like the car has a bit less power. I'm no expert and I'm not sure how big your wheels have to be before it is considered gearing up.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:38 PM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts
well as far as i can tell, the 245/45 tires will fill the wheel gap but being on 19s i think you'll rub when turning. i'd suggest 215 or 225/40 so you can be more closer to factory speedo calibration.

idk how heavy the 19s are but i think you'll lose mpg with the rdx setup, more rotational mass--unless they're incredibly light like TE37 or RPF1s lol

if wheels were balanced on the 17 honeycombs then most likely suspension issue or tires. too many times i've thought vibrations and crap were coming from wheels out of balance or suspension and then upon unmounting i find out the tires were crap