ran over a 2x4 on a highway going 85mph

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 06:18 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ran over a 2x4 on a highway going 85mph

this past weekend, I was on my way to Boston to visit my friend from DC. It was about 11:00PM and i was crusing 85 mph on I95 towards Baltimore when I ran over a 2x4 that fell out of a truck or something..... rear of the car hopped up and almost spun out of control.

as soon as i re-gained control, i noticed a loud and annoying vibration... so i pulled over and peeped under the car, it was too dark to see... handling and steering seemed fine, but my car had lost so much power that it wouldn't even peel out of first gear and noticed lotta torque loss. so the trip ended, next day i took it to a shop owned by a friend. when the car was lifted up... = ( there was a 2 inch diameter gash on the exhaust pipe right before the resonator (the second resonator before the muffler) and the resonator also had a hole in it, with white cotton stuff sticking out of it... so they pulled the gash out a little and welded it ... and also welded the resonator... got rid of the loud exhaust noise and regained power and torque....luckly i only spent 40 dollars

my car will never feel the same again, to me.... = (

BTW luckly there was no damage to the ground kits and tires...not even a scratch...
Old 02-25-2002, 07:44 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: ran over a 2x4 on a highway going 85mph

Originally posted by BlueXTC
this past weekend, I was on my way to Boston to visit my friend from DC. It was about 11:00PM and i was crusing 85 mph on I95 towards Baltimore when I ran over a 2x4 that fell out of a truck or something..... rear of the car hopped up and almost spun out of control.
Reading this kinda scared me. Thank god you weren't in a turn and that your tires didnt blow. Just be more carefull.
Old 02-25-2002, 10:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Dayam that sucks man....
Old 02-26-2002, 09:53 AM
Racer

damn edgalang what happened to your car...
looks like it's damaged good forever....

i feel the pain just by looking at it = (
Old 02-26-2002, 10:12 AM
Cruisin'

I'd check the tires and rims carefully. I hit a pot hole turning into work several months ago, not going very fast, and it dented the inside of the left front rim and cut the tire sidewall. At first I didn't notice anything, but then noticed the sidewall starting to bubble. When the tire was removed/replaced, I noticed the dent on the inside of the rim.

I would imagine that the sharp edges of a 2x4 at 85mph could cause similar damage.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:19 AM
Pro

I'de be really surprised that there was no damage to the wheels from that. They checked out allright huh? Thats pretty good news for you. Fixing wheels can get ridiculously expensive. Hopefully the car will run somewhat normal, imagine what happened to the car behind you:wow:
Old 02-26-2002, 12:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had something like that happen to me in my Integra. I was on 495 ( in Mass), it was dark out and I was behind an Explorer. In front of him, there was an 18 wheeler, and well, the 18 wheeler just happen to blow out a tire. The Explorer just ran it over, I couldn't swirve in time, so I ran the thing over too. Few seconds later, my steering started to shake. I pulled over, and noticed that my front spoiler was cracked, the turn signal was smashed, and the lower lip of the bumper was knocked loose. I jacked the car up a little, and then noticed my rim was loose!!! I had hit the thing so hard (like 80 - 85 mph), it knocked all four lug nuts loose. I had just switched my rims a few weeks before, so I know the lug nuts were on there tight. It was pretty scary.

Anyways, to make a long story somewhat shorter, my front driverside rim was slightly warped. Only when I was driving at around 80 -85 could you notice it. I went to a local shop and they checked it out for me. When they tried to balance it, you could see the warp in the rim. Sucked getting that rim fixed.....
Old 02-27-2002, 11:14 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Dazz
I had something like that happen to me in my Integra. I was on 495 ( in Mass), it was dark out and I was behind an Explorer. In front of him, there was an 18 wheeler, and well, the 18 wheeler just happen to blow out a tire. The Explorer just ran it over, I couldn't swirve in time, so I ran the thing over too. Few seconds later, my steering started to shake. I pulled over, and noticed that my front spoiler was cracked, the turn signal was smashed, and the lower lip of the bumper was knocked loose. I jacked the car up a little, and then noticed my rim was loose!!! I had hit the thing so hard (like 80 - 85 mph), it knocked all four lug nuts loose. I had just switched my rims a few weeks before, so I know the lug nuts were on there tight. It was pretty scary.

Anyways, to make a long story somewhat shorter, my front driverside rim was slightly warped. Only when I was driving at around 80 -85 could you notice it. I went to a local shop and they checked it out for me. When they tried to balance it, you could see the warp in the rim. Sucked getting that rim fixed.....

That really sucks. Too bad you couldn't find out the license plate off the truck, he would have been liable.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Dazz
I had something like that happen to me in my Integra. I was on 495 ( in Mass), it was dark out and I was behind an Explorer. In front of him, there was an 18 wheeler, and well, the 18
Witnessed a crash on the 101N (LA) a few months ago. This idiotic Mexican (sorry do not mean to be racist but...) had this humongous construction ladder loosely sitting on top of his serverly beatup truck and it falls right off. Following Toyota 4 runner just tiptoes over it !!! A BMW 3 following the Toyota crashes right into it, skids and hits the freeway wall... it was insane and really scary...almost jumped out of my seat!!!
Old 02-28-2002, 05:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

I had the same thing happen to me back in 1998 with my ACCORD. Its funny that he said he was on the way to D.C. this happen on my way home from Baltimore to D.C.. I was on Rt 29 & what looked like a large cardboard box from a bit back turned out to be a large ladder. I was going about 75MPH at the time I could not get over to left or right lane because of cars. I hit brakes & passed over the ladder as it was straight. I almost craped in my pants when I saw this thing thank you for ABS. All I did was stop just about a foot before the ladder. I then passed over it & it scapped the bottom a little. I saw this A$$ backing up the shulder in a pick-up truck.