Raleigh to Tucson for good Mexican food

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2001 | 02:17 PM
Pro

Raleigh to Tucson for good Mexican food

Trip Report:

I just got back from a Raleigh to Tucson to Raleigh run in the S. 4400 miles in 5 days. 32 hours out (plus overnight in Ft. Worth area)and 35 hours back. We decided to drive straight through on the way back because we had another driver. My 9 year old and I had to go pick up my wife since the tragedy last week really messed up air travel and she could not get home.

Anyway, the car was great. The seats are comfortable for me on the long runs. The A/C was on auto the whole time. The CD changer is great, especially useful in west Texas. I found that sunroof wind noise picks up at about 85 so I usually kept the shade closed.

I posted elsewhere that we averaged about 32 mpg's while averaging 75 - 85 mph. The best mileage was 36.6, the worst was 28.2. This was on the same stretch of road, while travelling in opposite directions. Tire pressure was set at 32 cold and the A/C was always on .We took the I-85, I-20, I-10 route which is reasonably flat. The car stayed in D5 for most of the trip. Gas prices were between $1.49 and $1.69 for premium and the car went about 450 miles on a tank.

Lots of road construction in Texas, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina. Unfortunately, once the bugs were cleaned off I found two paint chips, one in the spoiler lip and one on the hood. Should have gotten the clear bra. Bummer. A gas pump also did not shut off in El Paso on the way back, pumping gas all over the side of the car. I got a large buck of water and a clean rag and washed it down. No visible damage, thank goodness.

The roads were pretty good except for some horrific areas in Louisiana and Alabama. I though the car was going to come apart, the surface was so rough. Even with that, still no rattles or squeaks. The rest areas in SC, GA, AL, and MS are really nice. Ones in LA, NM and TX are pretty bad in most cases.

I did another oil change with Mobil1 5W-30 synthetic in Tucson prior to the run back. Car has amost 10K miles on it now.

BTW, I did eat at my favorite Mexican resturaunt the evening I got into Tucson, Mi Nidito Cafe. Don't tell my wife but picking her up was secondary.

Sorry about the long post but wanted to share my experience.
Old 09-19-2001 | 02:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like you had a great trip. I'd drive that for for the Mexican food alone, so the wife pickup was a nice bonus.

I'm envious as hell of your MPG, though I do tend to drive fast.
Old 09-19-2001 | 06:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Dude that is where the Pres Clinton ate when he came down to Tucson. I have heard all kinds of craze about it but have yet to eat there. I guess its time for me to check it out!
Old 09-19-2001 | 07:49 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

The title of this thread reminded me of the "Maine for Lunch" TL-S commercial.
Old 09-20-2001 | 12:27 AM

Thumbs up good road trip

Hey Rockin, just thought I'd comment, I live over in Charlotte, used to live in Raleigh and still do some work there. Great ride, glad all was well w/ you wife and you all had a safe trip.

By the way, I just sold my Maxima, and am about to purchase a TL-S w/ Navi, any good (or bad) NC dealer experiences for me???

I spoke to a rep in Cary, and heard Performance in Chapel Hill was pretty good. Of course I'm gonna try Charlotte, but open to talk to other dealers.

Thanks!!!!

Karz
Old 09-20-2001 | 08:27 AM
Pro

Re: good road trip

Originally posted by karz10
By the way, I just sold my Maxima, and am about to purchase a TL-S w/ Navi, any good (or bad) NC dealer experiences for me???

I spoke to a rep in Cary, and heard Performance in Chapel Hill was pretty good. Of course I'm gonna try Charlotte, but open to talk to other dealers.
I bought mine from Leith in Cary. I like the salesman I dealt with, Mike Mitchell. He's the Internet Sales Manager. Good guy, low key. I worked with Mike for about 2 years before we actually bought the car and he was real helpful the whole time. Didn't come across as frustrated at all. I recommend Mike highly.

As far as Performance, I have heard some good things about them, too. Unfortunately, my experience with one of their sales folks prior to buying my car was unimpressive. Incidently, Performance is a Hendrick dealer. I believe one of the Charlotte dealers is Hendrick Acura.

----------------------

Wampum, as far as Mi Nidito goes, for 10 years I ate there weekly before I moved to NC three years ago. I highly recommend the Beef Flautas or the Chile Colorado Chimi. Oh, and be prepared to wait awhile before getting in. If the neighborhood scares you, don't worry about it. They have security and we have never had any trouble.
Old 09-20-2001 | 07:10 PM

thanks for the tips

thanks for the info rockin

karz