Radio Info Needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008 | 01:06 PM
There's no Acura in

Red face Radio Info Needed

I'm probably gonna get myself in trouble for this but I need to upgrade the audio system in my '02 TL which I bought less than a month ago. The current (factory) setup sounds OK but not to my preference. The soundstage is pulled to the rear too much, too much ambience (e.g., instruments are not upfront in your face), and the CD changer never ejects CDs unless I "help" it when it tries to eject.

Information I would like:
- What equipment is already in the car (excluding the HU)? I've read stuff about a sub & an amp already in the car? Where are they?
- What is the depth mount & diameter for the door speakers?
- Any common locations for firewall holes?
- What (audio-related) wiring should I be aware of that's already in the car? Wiring harness for an aftermarket HU?
- And most importantly: how to take the factory HU out & run my wiring down the car to the trunk?

Normally I'd just try stuff out without asking but since the car is so new (to me) I'm scared, and I also can't even find a Haynes or Chilton for this car in my local AutoZone/Murray's stores. I'm doing everything myself, and I already have my speakers, subs, amps, and wiring: now it's just the actual installation. My previous car (a '98 chevy malibu), wiring was simple, no surprises and panels pretty much pulled off. Wiring up the alarm was pretty basic too. I feel the TL might be a different story.

I appreciate any help or direction people can offer, thanks.
Old 09-12-2008 | 01:23 PM
12volt Technician

the TL is pretty easy for most stuff
you will have to go into the driver door panel for the lock unlock and factory disarm wires for your alarm. pther than that you should go with a 6.5" component front and rear. it calls for 5.25 but 6.5 will work. running the power wire is easy there is already a rubber grommet for it on the driver side, run all your rcas on the other side.
the hardest part will be pulling the factory deck out. you'll need to take out all of the center armrest/console assembly(well most of it anyway) top get at the deck. the wood grain panels will pop off and then start undoin screws, around 15 or 20 prolly. If you buy a decent dash kit it should have instructions or send me a PM. im an elecronic accessory technician and I ripped my 99 TL apart the hour I bought it. I know the electronics of this car inside and out. PM me ill be glad to answer any questions.
Old 09-12-2008 | 03:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Radio removal
http://www.skyeflye.com/acura_cls/In...01-2003_CL.pdf
Old 09-13-2008 | 12:38 PM
There's no Acura in

Thanks Audiovibe-Mike & fsttyms1. Your information is very helpful.

In my old car I had some (6.5") two-ways in the kick panel area with some tweets on the dash. I really wanted the 6.5s in the doors but the mount depth wasn't deep enough for that on my old car. I plan to run a 3-way system with 6.5s in the doors, maybe 4"s & tweets in the kick panels.

Do you guys know the specs of the factory system? Like what speakers are already installed, freq. response, location & power output of any amps in the car, etc...