Radio In 2000 TL w/ Navi

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 10:15 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio In 2000 TL w/ Navi

Hello everyone, My first thread!

So I bought this Acura TL down at my local dealership about a month ago. I was so excited until I tried to put a CD-R in my radio. It is so fussy, it just sits there trying to read it and then sometimes if I am lucky it will play. So I was thinking of just buying a cd changer and putting it in the trunk. But to me those are a hassle. After joining this forum I read that some people exhcanged the headunit with a Changer/Radio from an 03 TL. So I found a used one and went and tried the same burned cd in the 6 disk and it worked like it was a brand new cd.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Can anyone tell me how easy it is to exchange the headunits in these cars?

2. Is there anything I need to be aware of when doing the swap?

3. Does the stereo I put in my car matter if it came from a car with Navi or not? (my local dealership could not answer this question)

4. Does anyone have a 6 Disk Headunit from an 03 TL that they want to sell to me?

5. Do I need the security Codes from the New stereo in order to work in mine?

Thank you so much for helping out. Like I said I am new to both the forum and my TL and still have a lot to learn. Thanks again.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:42 AM
Advanced

I also bought my 2000 TL about a month ago. I actually have bought a 03 indash 6 disk changer head unit last week. I bought it off Ebay. They usually are going for around $200. The problem I have is trying to get the security code from the previous owner. He was not aware of the code since he just bought the car and immediately switched out the head unit. He has had to call the dealer to get the code andI'm still waiting for it.

I would look on Ebay and if you find one that is for sale, ask the seller via email if they will provide the security code with the radio. The code can be given to them by the dealer but they may ask for the stereo serial number as well as the VIN number, which only the original owner of the stereo would have.

I'm not sure about the navi or not? When I was doing the same research that you are doing, I often found that the CD or XM adapters that plug into the rear of the 00TL deck seem to say that they are not compatible with navi systems or 6 disk indash head units. This made me believe that there is a difference, but I don't know since I do not have navi.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:43 AM
Advanced

Here is a site that shows how to take the radio out.

http://www.abunchofcars.com/diy_page...er_console.htm

Good Luck!
Old 06-16-2004, 10:44 AM
Cruisin'

Thank you so much for that information. Can you please let me know how your installation went?
Old 06-16-2004, 10:45 AM
Cruisin'

Radio In 2000 TL w/ Navi

Thank you so much for that information. Can you please let me know how your installation went?
Old 06-16-2004, 10:47 AM
Cruisin'

Thank you so much Cariboo for that information. Can you please let me know how your installation went/goes?
Old 06-16-2004, 10:49 AM
Advanced

I haven't installed it yet. I will hopefully be getting the code in the next few days and starting on it this weekend.

I'm also installing an amp and a new sub, so my install will be rather difficult compared to just swapping out the head units.

I'll let you know how the head unit swap goes.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:53 AM
Cruisin'

Thank you. Yes I am curious to see how this is going to go. Especially with all the electronics. Where did you find it on ebay? I tried to type in acura radio and some other things, but nothing came up. I have been trying to call around and get quotes from Junk yards and things too, no luck. The only place I have found that has used ones is Weber Brothers Auto (1.800.222.2528) but they only have them out of non-navi models and I dont know if it will work with mine that has navi.

Let me know if you can where you found them on ebay!
Old 06-16-2004, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
the radios are a easy direcet swap, the only thing to watch out for is that they are a TL radio and not a CL radio. they look the same but arent. the cl radio wont work in the tl
Old 06-16-2004, 11:33 AM
Advanced

I would keep checking Ebay every week and look for the 03 stereo. There where 3 for sale when I bought mine. I just looked and there are not any currently for sale.

Go to ebay motors and enter "acura TL radio" and it will pull up harnesses, stereo kits and actual stock head units.

I would just keep looking for one, but the changer option would be a nice alternative. I bought a NEO changer from Circuit City and tried it out for a week. It played CDRs and MP3's really well, but I returned it when I bought the 03 stereo. It ran about $230.

You can also buy a adapter that will hook up a 6 disc Alpine changer to the stock stereo as well.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:37 AM
Cruisin'

Do you know if the 00 TL's are already pre-wired in the trunk for a cd changer? Because I might just go that route, but I do like the stock in dash changer from the 03's, I think that is a nice system. I just want my Cdrs to work in the car. I dont need anything fancy.

The adapter for the Alpine, is that just like the wire harness thing?

I should go to a stereo shop and see if they carry that stuff.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:54 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
gth2003,

TL's are not pre-wired for the changer, but there pretty easy to install and running the wire isn't that difficult. You might even be able get away without having to remove the radio if you have thin fingers. Should be able to find a changer on ebay pretty cheap, even the changers from a honda accord will work. good luck..
Old 06-16-2004, 01:34 PM
Advanced

Logjam Electronics has a good guide that lists all the adaptors for CD changers and/or Auxillary input items like a XM radio or MP3 player.

Most if not all references will be for Honda, not Acura. The Honda adaptors that Logjam has will work will an Acura. Here is the reference guide for Logjam:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/logjam/i...rossreflj.html