Radiator fan not working on its own

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2022, 07:44 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Radiator fan not working on its own

So this has been an ongoing issue but have come to a dead end. There are a lot of posts similar and with great info but I still can’t track this down. My cooling fans only run together both with ac on and off. Ac off both fans will come on around 217 and stay on to 180° consistently hard driving, sitting in traffic or just idling so I don’t think it is an issue with the cooling system itself. This has been ongoing since I got the radiator replaced a few years ago and since I don’t daily the car it has kind of been put off or I would just run the ac if I felt I was getting too warm. Readings are from a scan tool so I trust fairly accurate. Already shot the parts cannon at the issue and have in addition to a new radiator replaced fan switches A&C the ect sensor drained and flushed coolant and replaced stock thermostat and cooling fan timer. Does anyone have any advice on tracking this down? I know the drivers fan should cycle on and off at idle and come on around 203 or so but it isn’t doing this and also fans seem to only run at lower seed when powered from power probe but I’m only putting out 12v and that may be the issue. Please? Lol at a total loss and only really thing left to address in getting her 100% put a lot of time Into other issues and just want to know she’s right, doesn’t over heat as gauge never moves past a few below center, 7 lines visible I believe maybe 8 and scan tool shows steady at 180 on highway or moving and only warms up sitting still or heavy traffic.
Old 05-30-2022, 10:41 PM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 169 Posts
BryanD,
I want to make sure I understand what you are concerned about; it seems that the fans come on but at 217F and your concerned that is too high? Is that correct?

See picture below. As you can see the temperature for the switches are a range not an absolute. Does this help?

Old 05-31-2022, 12:50 AM
Pro

Did you run through the troubleshooting procedures in section 10 starting on page 10-19?
Old 05-31-2022, 08:21 AM
5th Gear

Exactly, i feel 217° is a little too warm and even though i can keep it below this temp and it cools efficiently just doesn’t seem right. If we are talking about the same manual I have gone through and done all but test continuity of the switches in hot water. I get continuity at correct temps but fans just dont want to kick in below 217°. Im not sure if it is based on fan controller logic or not, my going theory for a while was that it was using some combination of sensors ie c reading cold at the bottom of the radiator will prevent fans from cycling before it feels it’s needed. Just some more info, jumping the pins at fan switch A runs both fans not just one which also seems odd to me, haven’t jumped B but based on temp it comes on seems to be working and C alone will not turn fans on. Don’t think I mentioned either all new relays for fans as well. I’m curious which troubleshooting info you have and if it’s different than in my manual. Any help is much appreciated
The following users liked this post:
whitetiger5 (05-31-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 09:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,496 Posts
Originally Posted by BryanD
Already shot the parts cannon at the issue and have in addition to a new radiator replaced fan switches A&C the ect sensor drained and flushed coolant and replaced stock thermostat and cooling fan timer.
Just curious, was the replaced ect sensor OEM?
BTW, is your TL a Base model or TL-S?
Old 05-31-2022, 02:05 PM
5th Gear

Ect replacement

It’s an 03 tl type s, I believe it was a Delphi denso or wve not from Honda but as far as I know it was same manufacturer they use, replaced quite a while ago maybe 2 years. Was a higher end replacement for sure.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:41 PM
Pro

BryanD, The manual I am referring to is the service manuals. If you don't have them here is a link were you can download them. https://www.dropbox.com/s/alzlpd489p...ANUAL.pdf?dl=0
There are troubleshooting guides for different sets of symptoms for the fans turning on for both the radiator and condenser fans symptoms. I believe that the radiator fan should be on earlier than 217F but aftermarket sensors are usually designed to be used in as many vehicles as possible.

It looks like Zeta has a thought hopefully he will get back to you with something more specific.

Last edited by Jon M; 05-31-2022 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-31-2022, 04:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,496 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon M
It looks like Zeta has a thought hopefully he will get back to you with something more specific.

More like a wild guess 'hunch' and the personal experience that, when it comes to replacing sensors for these cars, I always pay the $$ for OEM (ie fuel relay; trans speed sensor; 3 & 4 gear trans. sensors etc).

#15 on the link below?
Water Pump - Sensor - 2003 Acura TL 4 Door TYPE-S KA 5AT (acurapartswarehouse.com)
Old 05-31-2022, 04:29 PM
Pro

I agree. There are items that can be generic but some items you just have to go OEM. Sometimes you can find the manufacturer part but sometimes you just have to pay the full rate. Sensors can be finicky.
BryanD you can pull the sensor and heat it up on the stove in a pot of water while monitoring the resistance. I believe this is a switch so once it reaches temperature it should open up and resistance so be a short once it is activated when it reaches the temperature for which it is set.
Old 05-31-2022, 04:57 PM
5th Gear

Where to go from here

I’m leaning towards ect being the issue although doesn’t fully make sense to me, OEM thermostat and it holds 180° as I’m driving or after a cooling cycle so while possible it’s off seems odd it holds right, whatever the temp really is it’s steady. Could definitely be reading wrong at higher temps, fan switch A does get continuity when warm but can’t be sure of the temp, a good bench test is a great idea as well. I really suspected the fan timer controller but it was replaced with a brand new OEM Motorola timer, relays and all but fan switch c are OEM Honda so replacing the ect and fan switch C is probably my next move, probably drain and flush coolant again and replace ect switch A and C OEM and bench test before Installation. If this fails what do you guys think?, am I being paranoid, how concerned about that heating to that temp would you be? Kind of considering just wiring the radiator fan only to constant power of all else fails, bad idea in you guys opinion? Any ideas about how much power should go to the fans for low speed vs high, another theory I have is the fans are wearing out and responding to higher voltage only but running slower, maybe the signal at 196-203° isn’t enough to spin the fan? I also have kind of thought maybe the fuse for the radiator is bad, i know it’s in the cabin and has been replaced but maybe it’s bad contact? Suspect this because I think the way the controller works if it didn’t have ground for fan switch A it will use ground on condenser end when it reaches that high of a temp. What do you guys think, any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help so far!
Old 05-31-2022, 05:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
I took what you originally posted and broke it out into bulleted statements for readability:

My cooling fans only run together both with:
  • ac on and
  • ac off : both fans will come on around 217 and stay on to 180°
let's set aside the second point for now, because it (the operation of Radiator fan switch B) can be distracting...

I think that viewing it this way points to the following decision to determine and then go from there:

my understanding of the various troubleshooters :
  • A-no fans working, at all with any trigger type (temp vs AC).
  • B-AC fan works when it needs to for AC triggers or temp triggers, radiator doesn't work at all.
  • C- Both fans work only for AC triggers and only at one speed, no response for temp triggering
  • D-Both fans work only for AC triggers and they speed up when needed but no response for temp triggering
  • E-Both fans start running as soon as I turn the car on

The following users liked this post:
Jon M (05-31-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 11:22 PM
Pro

Whitetiger5 broke it down nicely, As mentioned before please check the manual for troubleshooting procedures. Also if you suspect a fan is wearing out you can wire directly to the battery and check see how the fan turns. It would turn faster with the car running as the voltage would go to ~14.4v. The battery has much more current available to power the fans than I suspect is available through the power probe you mentioned.