Quick question about installing OEM kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 10:29 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Quick question about installing OEM kit

My OEM kit comes in this Friday! Can't wait. I'm pretty good with installing stuff on cars and this kit really seems quite simple.

I have a set of Rhino Ramps that I use to change my oil. For those who don't know what these are, they are tough plastic ramps that you drive up on get under your car for engine work, oil changes etc. It just holds the front wheels up. Far better than those metal type drive up ramps IMO.

Anyhow, my only concern is installing the new side skirts. The car goes up pretty high on the front end with the ramps. I'm thinking that it should be plenty of room to put my front lip on. Actually, now that I think about it, when I bring the car back down, I may scrape the lower lip. Better watch that.

Do you suppose I would have enough room to put the side skirts on. I know from the front wheel to about the middle of the car should be room, but closer to the rear wheel, it may be tight on space. I don't have jack stands or access to a lift. And I damn sure ain't payin Acura $300 to put it on.

Thoughts folks?
Old 07-23-2003, 11:29 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I didn't install the body kit, I did take it off and put it back on this past weekend. I decided to be really anal and remove the body kit to Zaino the entire body and then put the body kit back on and Zainoed the body kit then. I did the whole thing with the car on the ground....no lift, no ramp, no jack......no Sh*t!

PS - I also removed the spoiler. You know I found rust spots under where the spoiler attaches and under the body parts covered by the body kit. Zaino Z18 Clay bar took care of the rust spots....they were just on the surface...weird.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

You may need to turn your wheels to remove the screws in the wheel wells. Other than that the ramps should be ok with the sides. Don't reuse the stock push clips along the bottom of the sides,....they're too long and the brackets will rattle.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:36 PM
Racer

Yes you can turn the front wheels to get to the screws. But you obviously can't do that with the rear wheels. So you can either take off the rear wheels or do what I did and use a phillips screwdriver with a 90 degree bend or use a small rachet with a phillips bit attached.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:34 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks folks

ModAddict,

What do I do if I don't use the stock push clips? What else would I use?

Also to Galfert,
How long did it take you to put the kit back on?

Originally posted by ModAddict
You may need to turn your wheels to remove the screws in the wheel wells. Other than that the ramps should be ok with the sides. Don't reuse the stock push clips along the bottom of the sides,....they're too long and the brackets will rattle.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:51 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
You won't have to lift up the car for the side skirts, or the rear. I did lift the car up for the front, though, because my drill was too big to fit under there.

It usually takes about 2-3 hours. But it's fun.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by CJITTY
Thanks folks

ModAddict,

What do I do if I don't use the stock push clips? What else would I use?

Also to Galfert,
How long did it take you to put the kit back on?
The kit comes with new push clips to use.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:04 AM
Racer

Hard to say how long it took me. Because I didn't do it all at the same time. I wax applying Zaino and removing sections at a time and then putting them back on before I went on to the next section. Also I didn't have to put in the clips because they were already there obviously. But my guess is it would take about 2 hours to do a good job.