Questions regarding 1999 TL swap with a 2001 CL Type-S motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Questions regarding 1999 TL swap with a 2001 CL Type-S motor

My 1999 TL Transmission is on its last leg and is about to die any day now and would like to get it replaced asap!

Anyways heres the issue Im having a hard time tracking down a replacement nor do I really trust a used one. Having it fixed is an option but the shops here are trying to ream me which is keeping me from wanting to do it. Anyways my friend found a 01 CL Type-S motor and automatic transmission and was asking if I wanted to go that route? Im very interested in going that route but what is needed from the other car to get this done? Im assuming its easier of a swap than the regular 99 TL auto to manual right?

So if anyone can give me heads up on what I will need would be great! Ill start it off.......

01 CL Type-S motor
01 CL Type-S auto transmission
Gauge Cluster
Entire shift assembly
ECU
Old 07-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Racer

Also just another clarifications.....I was reading up on the CL Type-S transmissions and it states that those as well as the TL transmissions encountered the same issues....can anyone confirm?

Now Im beginning to think if its even worth me jumping into this if I may encounter the same issue with my transmission currently????

Anyone?
Old 07-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Thread Police Chief

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000-2003 trannies are 5 speeds vs your 99 4speed, and they don't have the same problem. I wasn't aware the 99 autos had common issues, if yours is going out its probably just bad luck.

As for swapping the engines, just drop it in and plug in your wire harness. Your ECU wont be able to control the 2-stage intake manifold, but you can wire in a "window switch" (not an actual glass window switch) to activate it at a set RPM. As for the tranny, it's not going to work, your ECU can't control it correctly.

Just find another 4speed auto and put it in, or do a 6-speed swap. You DONT have to change the engine if you put a 6-speed in, as long as you get the RV6 module.

Also the Type-S gauges will have issues with your car.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Racer

Thanks for the post! But if I was to go with the ECU for both the car as well as the tranny wouldnt that work? There may be some modifications to the wiring harness or even replacing the exisiting but other than that it should work?

Only reason Im not going with the 6 Speed conversion is that my girlfriend drives the car too and she cant drive stick so it kind of needs to be auto.

Originally Posted by adamlee05
2000-2003 trannies are 5 speeds vs your 99 4speed, and they don't have the same problem. I wasn't aware the 99 autos had common issues, if yours is going out its probably just bad luck.

As for swapping the engines, just drop it in and plug in your wire harness. Your ECU wont be able to control the 2-stage intake manifold, but you can wire in a "window switch" (not an actual glass window switch) to activate it at a set RPM. As for the tranny, it's not going to work, your ECU can't control it correctly.

Just find another 4speed auto and put it in, or do a 6-speed swap. You DONT have to change the engine if you put a 6-speed in, as long as you get the RV6 module.

Also the Type-S gauges will have issues with your car.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Thread Police Chief

Yes that would work, depending on what you did.

Above I suggested using your base model 99 engine harness with the Type-S engine and wiring in an window switch. That would work if you used your 99 model ECU. However, if you switched to a Type-S ECU the pin-outs would be different and you'd need to either re-pin the connectors on the harness, or get the type-s engine harness. If you re-pinned your current harness, you'd still need to wire in the window switch unit.
Either of those options would take care of the engine part.

As for the rest of in-dash wiring, I'm not sure what would need to be re-pinned to make everything else work on the car (interior controls, headlights, etc). I could find out next week, but at the moment I don't have the pin-outs. The wiring to the gauges will not need to be changed, they're the same. You would however want to get rid of your 99 gauges and use Type-S gauges. This will give you the correct gear selected position, as well as a working engine temperature gauge.

Also I'm not sure if the signal is different from the wheel speed sensor on the 4-speed autos vs the 5-speeds, if so you'd need to change that.

If you can get the engine harness, ECU, and do some re-pinning as well as maybe change a wheel-speed sensor you'll be fine. I still think you should just find another 4-speed though
Old 07-02-2009, 12:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
You cant use your stock ECU and engine wiring. With out it you wont have the raised redline to take advantage of the type-s and the vtec will want to come on way to soon for the type-s motor. You will have to switch it out. There will be other little issues that you may have to overcome like the fuel gauge and temp gauge not working correctly.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:26 AM
Thread Police Chief

^ thought I just covered the ecu and wiring....and I'm pretty sure the type-s gauges with type-s ECU fix the temp/fuel issue.

And yes you can use your stock ECU and wiring with the engine. IIRC, Phee is doing it.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:50 AM
Racer

Thanks for your inputs. To answer your question regarding the 4Speed tranny, Ive been looking for sometime now and its extremely hard to come by...at least one that works. I find 2001 and 2002 Trannys all day long but wont work with my engine.

The guy Im working with that my friend refer'd me to actually has a full CL he is parting and I explained to him what Im trying to do and what I would need and he said he has it. Im just trying to get a list of what I will need to take off of the car.

So far Ive already asked him to hold the motor, tranny, gauge cluster, engine harness, ecu, shifter assembly and axles. I just wanted to play it safe and asked for the motor mounts as well but dont think they are any different. Could someone confirm?

adamlee05 you wouldnt happen to know of a place I can get the wiring diagram so I can figure out the pin's I need to redo? Anything you can find out for me would be extremely helpful regarding the wiring and what else I may be needing to get this conversion done.

Thanks again!
Old 07-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Thread Police Chief

Might as well take the mounts, he probably cant do anything with them anyhow and they might be in better condition than yours.

Yeah I can get you all of the pin-outs for both cars and the harnesses, it will be next week though. But if you're getting the engine harness and ECU together, then you might as well just get the rest of the harnesses. There are 2 inside the dash that go towards the drivers side, they hook to the gauges, A/C and heater controls, clock, cruise, TCS, and just about everything under the dash really. They also connect to the IMRC controller (controls the 2-stage intake manifold you're getting) so that you wont have to wire in the "window switch". The IMRC controller will be under the dash in front of the driver-side door and be a little box connected to the harness with a 15 or 16 pin blue connector. The IMRC module and Cruise module look similar, the cruise has "cruise" written somewhere on it.

To make things easier if you're getting a great deal on this stuff, grab the left and right side engine compartment harnesses, they go to the headlights, wheel speed sensor, ABS, Cruise, etc. You could use your harnesses and re-pin them, but the connectors between everything are most likely the same and will just plug right into the new Type-s harnesses saving you time. they run along the right and left side unibody frame. They're just as thick as the engine harness and connect to EVERYTHING, you wont miss them. You'll need to remove the fenders to disconnect all the sensors on the old car and hook yours up.

This is all a suggestion though, I'm not 100% sure what is plug-n-play and what might need to be re-pinned. For a safe measure grab anything you can if its a good price.

ARE you getting a good deal on this stuff?
Old 07-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Thread Police Chief

Here are the pinouts you need:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/1999-2003-tl-p-s-pcm-diagrams-734392/
Old 07-07-2009, 09:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by adamlee05
Adam,

Thanks for the link.