Question for TLers in the Boston Area

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 11:08 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question for TLers in the Boston Area

Greetings,

I have some questions for those of you who bought a TL/TLS in the Boston Area. Who did you deal with and what kind of deal did you get? Who is the best to deal with in the Boston Area? I've been to Claire Acura recently and got a pretty good quote except they aren't offering much for my trade in. I want to go to Acura of Boston sometime this week and see what they have to offer.

I am asking because I want to go in with an idea of what to expect. I also don't want to waste my time with someone who is not willing to negotiate.

My last question is if any of you know a good credit union that could hook me up with a great rate. I have good credit and so I would like to get under 6% or even 5%.

I almost pulled the trigger this past weekend but I think we are about 1000 off what I want for my car. The deal would have been for a 2003 ABP TLS. How many of you have ABP as a color? I might consider Antracite since it is less common on the TLS.

FYI - I have a 96 Galant S with 86000 miles on it, decent/fair shape (needs a new timing belt). I don't expect much for it but I would like to see in the ball park of 3500.
Old 02-25-2002, 11:21 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought mine (2002 TL-S No Nav) at Clair and paid $29,800 and they threw in mudguards and 4 oil changes. I thought it was a decent deal.
Old 02-25-2002, 11:33 AM
still a Masshole

yoyodyne,

Thanks for that info. Who at clair did you deal with? That is a good deal from what I have seen. Isn't invoice on a 2002 no nav about 28900?
Old 02-25-2002, 11:37 AM
Banned

I've got ABP and love it. Some people have said they are concerned that it will eventually affect trade-in value because the color may "go out of fashion" and not be popular down the road (like that Champagne Pink color that Ford offered a few years back) but I never buy a car worrying about the next owner. As long as it works for me, that's all I care about.

There's no Acura dealers in Western MA so I had to go to CT to get mine.
Old 02-25-2002, 11:53 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by ferizzo
Who at clair did you deal with? That is a good deal from what I have seen. Isn't invoice on a 2002 no nav about 28900?
Andy Clair was my salesman. He seemed like a straight-shooter. FWIW he even burned me a CD (The Who) as an unexpected little gift.
Sorry, but I don't know what the invoice price is on the car. In fact, I didn't even know when I made the deal! Ironically I had done all the research on all the other cars I was considering and then the TL-S came out and it was so new, none of the usual web sites had the invoice pricing yet.
Good luck with the negotiations!
Old 02-25-2002, 12:04 PM
Advanced

I got mine at Acura of Boston. Clair and them were even match for price 29500??? I think (no-NAV.) I think it comes down to much much you'll work at it.

But I'm going to put a strong guess that Boston won't give you much for the trade. You may have a better deal with Clair who deals lots of cars and brands. If I recall (on 1st TL) they offered me under wholesale, I sold myself for 2-3K more.

Surprisingly, In this area Honda Finance came up the best for me. They got me mid-5 I think.
Old 02-25-2002, 12:20 PM
Advanced

I bought my car, Type S w/o Navi and wheel locks from Acura of Boston for $29,800 from Perry Wong. Purchased it in June. I think it was fair deal, didn't spend much time negotiating the deal, my time is worth money, too.
Although, I could have saved a hundred or 2 from another dealership and you can have your car serviced at any dealer, I like to buy the car where it is going to be serviced.
While they offer loaners while the car is being serviced, I work in town. They have a drop off/pick up shuttle service that drops me 2 blocks from my bulding, very convenient.
Good luck on your hunt, I really like the Type S.
Old 02-25-2002, 04:24 PM
still a Masshole

Thanks for the info

Hey guys, thanks for the 411. I need to see what the other dealers offer but right now the deal for the 2003 is right in line for what you guys got. Again I just now want to see what I can get for my trade in. Unfortunately its not worth me trying to sell it on my own since the value is low to begin with.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:31 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got my 2002 3.2tl w/o nav. from Acura of Boston three months ago and paid $28250.
The salemen are not pushy over there and you can take as much time as you like to browse the lot. Do I paid too much for 2002 3.2tl w/o nav?
Old 02-26-2002, 07:32 AM
Having Fun?

I picked up my 02 TLs w/NAV wheel locks, sun visor, and mud flaps for 32200 back in September from Acura of Boston. When I was going around to different car dealerships since I was kind of young in my estimate to be looking at a 30k car, a lot of salesmen treated me very poorly, and I walked off the lot before even taking a test drive. Not at Acura of Boston though. A good bunch of people to deal with. No pressure to buy or quickly buy. Not once did my salesperson even ask if I wanted the car, he waited for me to make the decision and get the ball rolling.

I had gone to Audi/Volvo/Nissan/BMW,etc dealers and none of them treated me like a normal human being looking for a great car like Acura of Boston. Volvo was the worst by far, I don't see how they sell cars when they treat people like :yack:

So, the good relationship that Acura of Boston instilled from the first step I took on the lot was actually a huge reason why I went back to them for the purchase. That and they are only two miles down the road

Now, only if they would install MODs!!
Old 02-26-2002, 07:43 AM
still a Masshole

Acura of Boston seems to get relatively good reviews here. I will check them out today or tomorrow. Copland007, how old are you if you don't mind me asking? I am 25 myself and it never helps that I tend to wear baggy jeans and t-shirts on weekends when I go visit dealers. Its never really bad, I just have to wait a little longer sometimes to get a salesmen.

hchhon, I don't know how much less the TL is vs the TLS but your 28250 sounds very reasonable if not good.
Old 02-26-2002, 07:44 AM
Having Fun?

hehe, forgot to include that didn't I :o

I am 22.
Old 02-26-2002, 07:46 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Acura of Boston seems to get relatively good reviews here. I will check them out today or tomorrow. Copland007, how old are you if you don't mind me asking? I am 25 myself and it never helps that I tend to wear baggy jeans and t-shirts on weekends when I go visit dealers. Its never really bad, I just have to wait a little longer sometimes to get a salesmen.

hchhon, I don't know how much less the TL is vs the TLS but your 28250 sounds very reasonable if not good.
The difference between S and P is around $2000. The difference between NAV and none NAV is around $2000.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:01 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by copland007
I had gone to Audi/Volvo/Nissan/BMW,etc dealers and none of them treated me like a normal human being looking for a great car like Acura of Boston. Volvo was the worst by far, I don't see how they sell cars when they treat people like :yack:

[/B]
Dude, the Volvo near New Balance (KFC street) was by far one of the F-ing worse dealers I went to. They wouldn't give me the time of day, less than zero interest. Try Herb Chambers BMW, the guys are so uptight and snobby, you want to shout "Buddy, you sell cars for a living, that's 2 steps up from the sausage vendor on Yawkey way. "

I agree w/u on Acura Boston one of the least unpleasent visits.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I got my TLs non navi at Claire Acura. I got it for 30. I went in on a Saturday dressed in real baggy jeans and a t-shirt, and they all came right up to me. I did purchase my integra there 5 years ago, but I doubt any of them remembered me. The guy who sold it to me wasn't there either. Anyways, I got treated really well there, and would recomemed going there. When we were talking about price, I just told him if he gives it to me for 30, we have a deal. He got up, came back 2 minutes later and said we have a deal. I forget his name, but I can get it if you want....oh yeah, I'm 24.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:26 PM
Having Fun?

Originally posted by TWong

Dude, the Volvo near New Balance (KFC street) was by far one of the F-ing worse dealers I went to. They wouldn't give me the time of day, less than zero interest. Try Herb Chambers BMW, the guys are so uptight and snobby, you want to shout "Buddy, you sell cars for a living, that's 2 steps up from the sausage vendor on Yawkey way. "

I agree w/u on Acura Boston one of the least unpleasent visits.
That's probably the same one I was at, hehe... Even though I had no intention of buying a Volvo, they didn't know that, and lost a potentional sale just because their people skills are that of a slug I don't want to give Volvo a bad name, as that was the only Volvo dealer I have been to, but I'll be darned if I ever go there again, or even recommend it to anyone.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:11 PM
Advanced

Copland and others,

Where did you get your mods done and would you recommend them. Once, I asked the Parts dept of Acura of Boston if they sell Comptech parts and they said 'No but maybe soon' then I asked if they would install them and he said 'Yes'. I'll be down there in the next couple of weeks for some service and I'll confirm this.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:26 PM
Having Fun?

Originally posted by TypeSontheProwl
Copland and others,

Where did you get your mods done and would you recommend them. Once, I asked the Parts dept of Acura of Boston if they sell Comptech parts and they said 'No but maybe soon' then I asked if they would install them and he said 'Yes'. I'll be down there in the next couple of weeks for some service and I'll confirm this.
Let me know who you talk to if they agree to it, because my service team leader, service manager, and salesman all highly recommended that I go somewhere else and pretty much declined to do the installs.

Hehe, now don't laugh but I went all the way to Park Ave in New Jersey to get my sways and springs installed Well worth it to me, they sold the parts pretty close to what Tim, autocarparts, sold them at and are an authorized comptech/acura installer. Possibly the best acura dealership on the east coast IMO. If I ever had to get more mods installed like headers I would definetly plan a trip back down to Park Ave. (and maybe this time it won't rain cats and dogs and I can enjoy some of the scenery)

I went to a local shop, Auto Design Haus, to get the Neuspeed upper strut installed. I don't know if I would recommend them. There was one young skinny black guy there who knew his stuff, I wish I caught his name. If I was to go there again I would insist he was the only one to do the work on the car. The others seemed like monkeys in a **** throwing contest At any rate they got it installed and only charged me $20. It took them almost an hour and three guys with all their might to get that sucker in also, I wish I had my camera

I haven't been but there is another place, RPM Motor Sports, or something like that in Allston I believe. Here's a post it was mentioned in: http://acura-tl.com/forum/showthread...threadid=32373

Hope that helps
Old 02-26-2002, 04:08 PM
Banned

Guys,

Can can I buy indiglow gauge for 2002 3.2TL? Those indiglow gauges that Nate had special made do not look good at all. I have seen better looking indiglow gauages made for Acura Integra.

My car is 100% stock but I have would like to upgrade my instrument cluster to all white and red LEDs. I am waiting for a quotes for these LEDs.

Who knows how to remove the cluster? Please help.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:39 AM
Drifting

This is a bit off the topic but, who is down for a meet soon?
Old 02-27-2002, 07:48 AM
Banned

Yeah. I like to meet you guys and see what kind of mods you have. Lets pick a place so we can park the car. How about this park near the WBZ TV station on storrow drive? There is a big parking lot and pretty much empty in the weekend. About a month ago I saw like 20 BMW 3 Series parking there and guys were checking each other cars. If you guys like the ideas please spread the word!
Old 02-27-2002, 08:10 AM
Drifting

Actually, we have had meets at a more centralized location. People come from all directions, even NH, CT. A couple of guys are from Fall River area and that is waaayyy down south. Pianoman lives in Western MA so we usually meet in Framingham, right off of Rt. 9.
Old 02-27-2002, 08:12 AM
Banned

So when is the next meeting and where?
Old 02-27-2002, 08:20 AM
Having Fun?

Framingham is cool, pick a place&time and I'm there
Old 02-27-2002, 11:46 AM
Advanced

Since you guys are MAers, what's the low down on springs. Did the dealers do them for you or did you y'all go to a shop? How much should it be to get it done?

I like the sound of the Neuspeeds springs.
Old 02-27-2002, 12:08 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by hchhon
So when is the next meeting and where?
I am thinking March 16 or 17, Saturday or Sunday. Who is down?
Old 02-27-2002, 12:12 PM
Having Fun?

Originally posted by thephantom

I am thinking March 16 or 17, Saturday or Sunday. Who is down?
I'm down for the 16th. I'll be away for the 17/18th, my birthday
Old 02-27-2002, 04:47 PM
still a Masshole

I'm down

I'd be down for a meet (don't have plans for that weekend) except I won't have my TLS yet so I'll have to slobber over every one else's car! I guess I can bring my contract once I make the deal!
Old 02-27-2002, 06:31 PM
Advanced

Bought mine from **** Conroy at Clair Acura and paid $29,400. Since then, I've added a few mods, but I was happy with the buying experience at Clair.

Good luck and don't drive yourself crazy about shopping around to save a one or two hundred dollars. If you are comfortable with the dealership and the price is within the ranges you have seen, then go with your gut feeling.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:29 AM
Drifting

Re: I'm down

I'd be down for a meet (don't have plans for that weekend) except I won't have my TLS yet so I'll have to slobber over every one else's car! I guess I can bring my contract once I make the deal!
When are you getting the TLS? We can wait untill you get it.
Old 02-28-2002, 12:19 PM
still a Masshole

Hopefully buying in the next week or so

I would like to buy the car in the next week or so but by the looks of things I might not actually have the car till late March. I can try for either mid- March or if people wanna wait till april when the whether is better (can't believe we got snow yesterday!) That would be great as well. I live in just south of Boston so Framingham and route 9 are just about 20 minutes away (15 or less when I have the TLS)!

I'll let you know how things progress next week with the purchase
Old 02-28-2002, 09:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I bought mine at Acura of Boston last June. I've been talking to Warren Wong for a couple of years before finally buying my dream car.

I almost bought it from Clair since the deal was not too bad. However the sales manager pressured me by saying that the deal was only good for that day. WTH?! I told the salesman that his manager killed his deal and never talked to anyone at Clair again.

Peabody is not willing to negotiate much.

Auburn is the WORST!!! Wouldn't negotiate at all. DON'T EVEN WASTE YOUR TIME THERE.

HTH and good luck.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:23 AM
Advanced

There's no such thing a one-day-deal, it's more like don't go shopping with my quoted price. I did notice that Acura Boston got real nervous if the deal couldn't be closed by month end. Quotas? Sales Figures?? They seem to be ready to take the price off the table if I fell into next month (due to Insurance pay out.)
Old 03-02-2002, 03:39 PM
what?

^^bump

Hey Steve - did you get a new car?
Old 03-04-2002, 09:40 AM
still a Masshole

I got it!

Well Boys, I finally took the plunge and bought the car! I got a 2003 ABP TLS and will be picking up my baby this coming saturday! Thanks for all your help!

I bought the car at Acura of Boston and it was a pretty good experience. I went late, just before closing, and was the last person to leave the lot (manager waited for me to close the gate because I went to take a quick look at the car). They did not rush me but they were ready to leave.

As far as the deal goes, I did pretty well although I can't disclose any further details. I did not get what I wanted for my car but got about the same as the other dealer had offered. Difference was that the car was already on the lot and I could have it within a week.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:36 AM
Having Fun?

ferizzo:
Awesome! Let the modding begin

So your picking her up on the 9th? I bet you can't wait

So how about this meet? Are we on for the 16th? thephantom, you want to organize it?

-copland007
Old 03-04-2002, 11:10 AM
still a Masshole

I Definitely wanna mod

I defintely want to mod the car but I will need to take it easy. below is a list of items I want to get (I guess its amost everything):

35% tint (Does anyone know a good place to go to?)
CAI (not sure which one yet)
Comptech Springs
Sways (might have to go with Neuspeed)
RES mod

Not for a while mods (or not at all):
Headers
BBS SX 18x7
Kumho tires
Comptech Exhausts (not sure - don't want the car to sound annoying)

I guess if we do have a meet I can come in the new ride!
Old 03-04-2002, 11:23 AM
Having Fun?

I am heading over to this place sometime this week to get my tint done (Sonnys Glass Tinting):

http://yp106.superpages.com/ffile.ph...L=&FN=&CB=&AL=

A few people I work with recommended them.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:58 AM
still a Masshole

Copland007, Let me know how it goes!

Let me know how it goes (prices, quality, service). I would like to get the tint in the next few weeks. What are you getting?
Old 03-04-2002, 12:45 PM
Having Fun?

Re: Copland007, Let me know how it goes!

Let me know how it goes (prices, quality, service). I would like to get the tint in the next few weeks. What are you getting?
I don't have my notes with me, but I believe it was $185 and change for all four windows whatever tint. I am going legit, so I am limited to 50% by Maine law If I had the car registered in Mass I would do 35% all around.

Quick Reply: Question for TLers in the Boston Area