Question - can YOU answer it??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2001, 11:07 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question - can YOU answer it??

Okay,

So, i'm trying to figure out if im going to ship my car or buy another one in Ithaca, NY. (I live in CA). Some things that I need to figure out before I decide are:

1) If I ship, and it's gonna be there for 3 years, do I have to register it for NY, or can it remain there as a CA reg?

2) Does my insurance follow me to NY or do I have to rework my coverage or get new coverage?

3) Are there any other things i need to consider for shipping my car to another state for an extened period of time?

4) If i buy a car up there (my dad buys for me), does it have to be under my name since only I have a residence in NY (temp res)?

5) If I buy up there, do I have to show proof of NY insurance?

6) All pretty much same questions for either ship or buy. What do I need to know/figure out/do?

Thanks, I'm not sure if this is in the right place, but it does have to do with me keeping my TL! (but does not affect my dec to put in sway bars next week!)
Old 07-08-2001, 11:24 PM
Drifting

You should consult with your insurance agent re: insurance issues. Most likely, your insurance premium will change since that will be the main place of your vehicle operation. And it will most likely go down too. C'mon... it's Ithaca.

As for the licenses.. you should check out the NY DMV website. I'm sure there are some categories for registering your vehicle, depending on the situation/ reasons of your move. (I'm guessing..... Cornell?)

Also, if you're leasing or financing your car, I think you are required to notify your lean holder. You might want to call them and ask.

Shipping your car should probably cost you around $800 to $1,000 bucks. And it probably will take more than three weeks for it to arrive at NY.

My recommendation... just buy a cheap car there and leave your TL here in Cali. When you come back to Cali on vacation, you get to ride your TL.
Old 07-08-2001, 11:29 PM
Instructor

SLVR TL - thanks for the first two, for the third, i bought my car, so no leasing or financing, and the last, i only come back for winter break and summer - so more time for fun driving up there! but i might end up doing that (buying car up there, depending on what i find out) anyways.

anyone else with info?
Old 07-08-2001, 11:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
eww Ithaca....make sure you don't commit suicide . Walking across that birdge was creepy...
Old 07-09-2001, 06:27 PM
Instructor

no one else knows anything about this?
Old 07-09-2001, 06:55 PM
Daddy

Silverstreak,

Did you decide on a SUV?
Old 07-09-2001, 07:57 PM
Instructor

Probably a pathfinder, but i won't make up my mind on what year or even what kind of suv until i decide whether to ship or buy my car to/in new york. i just found out no matter what, i have to register my car in ny cause insurance charges up the ass to insure a car in a different state, so i'm gonna reg in ny and get insurance in ny.

SO, people in NY, what insurance are you using? Who provides the cheapest coverage? Thanks guys
Old 07-09-2001, 10:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
If you're gonna wanna change everything to NY, you need to get a NY state license, register it here(new plates) and insure it here, and you must turn in your CA plates and License. IMO, keep it registered in CA, i'm pretty sure your insurance covers you not only in CA....and if anything happens with the authorities, points wouldn't count...I say drive it! don't ship it!
Ed
Old 07-09-2001, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Silverstreak, In NYC, if you're under 25, insurance is MAD expensive...being up in the boonies where you will be, it shouldn't be high at all..
Ed
Old 07-09-2001, 11:21 PM
Instructor

license? what license? maybe that's a dumb question, but you're not talking about a drivers license are you? driving costs more than shipping anyways, and i'm def under 25. i've been checking some insurance companies and i've gotten like a 2000 a year full coverage, if the insurance is totally under my name. i'm gonna try to get my dad to do it and put me as just a driver. right now i got AAA for norcal, and i'm gonna check to see what it is in ny, but i think its gonna be high.
Old 07-10-2001, 12:11 AM
Banned

Every state is different so you have to find out the laws for NY. I imagine most states are somewhat similar. One question is why are you going to Ithaca? By the sounds of it you're going to school there, and if that's the case bring some serious long underwear for the winter. You've never seen a winter until you've seen one there (no offense to our Canadian friends, who *really* know winter). Seriously though, many states have exemptions for non-resident students. Here in MA, if you have a permanent residence out-of-state and go to school in MA, as long as you register with the police department who has jurisdiction over the campus, you can keep your out-of-state plates, out-of-state license and your out-of-state insurance. In MA you must register within 30 days of arriving in the state. If you don't then your plates and license are no good and your car could get towed for being unregistered and you could get arrested for driving without a license. NY may or may not do the same thing; see if their DMV has a web site--it may have a lot of your answers.

Also, keep in mind that *your* insurance may require a change even though the state allows you to keep it. Again, speaking from a MA point of view, if you move from town to town within MA you have to notify your insurance of your "principal place of garaging" for the car. We pay a comprehensive charge that covers theft and vandalism and the rate is determined on (a) the type of car and (b) where it is going to be parked most of the time. If your insurance works the same way, staying with the car in Ithaca may make your rates go up *or down* depending on whether or not they classify Ithaca as a "high-crime" area compared to where you live now. And that can make a BIG difference on insurance rates. Where I live, if I moved just two towns south of where I am now, my rate would go up almost $500 a year for the TL-S.
Old 07-10-2001, 12:25 AM
Instructor

Matt, thanks a lot. I'm going to Ithaca cause i go to school at Cornell, and i've already been there for a year, so i felt the slight difference in winters from CA to NY Yea, I've figured it out to where now i have to look for insurance in NY instead of CA since it cost too much to use my CA insurance in NY (so far away). I'm still looking for the best insurance company in NY, anybody?
Old 07-10-2001, 02:50 PM
Pro

who the hell would want to buy a new car just cuz they move? Truck it over there. my brother in law drove his MX-6 from Houston to NYC when he landed a job there. Its not THAT bad.