Question about severe driving condition.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 10:32 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about severe driving condition.

I just checked the Acura web site and find the following about the maintainace:

Follow the "severe" schedule only if you drive in one or more of these conditions most of the time:
Trips of less than 5 miles (less than 10 in freezing weather)
Extremely hot weather (over 90 degrees F)
Extensive idling or stop-and-go driving
Trailer towing, driving with a car-top carrier, or driving in the mountains
Muddy, dusty, or de-iced roads

I think I am in this severe condition because the distance between my home and my office is exact 4 miles and I drive my TL to work everyday. So I an qualified the first item "Trips of less than 5 miles".

Is this very bad to my car? Should I follow the severe schdeule to do my first oil change at 3750 miles? Does any one follow the severe schedule?
Old 05-17-2002, 01:28 PM
Advanced

Re: Question about severe driving condition.

I just called the Service of my dealer. He said I should be OK for normal maintaince. Confused!!!

Anyone has idea?

Originally posted by buynewcar2003

Follow the "severe" schedule only if you drive in one or more of these conditions most of the time:

I think I am in this severe condition because the distance between my home and my office is exact 4 miles and I drive my TL to work everyday. So I an qualified the first item "Trips of less than 5 miles".

Is this very bad to my car? Should I follow the severe schdeule to do my first oil change at 3750 miles? Does any one follow the severe schedule?
Old 05-17-2002, 05:05 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
It's okay... what really matters actually is that you need to kinda warn up the engine first...

The engine is not gonna be so happy if you start it and shut it off too soon. Nor does it like to be running for like 12 hours a day (taxi cap kinda thing for example... and that's why police cars have dual radiator sometimes)

But what really hurts is to drive a 5 miles, shut off the engine, then start it within 5 min.... that kinda of thing...
Old 05-17-2002, 07:13 PM
Advanced

Thanks for reply. So my question becomes when I should do the first oil change, 3750 miles or 7500 miles? I read some post said that I should keep the oil comes from factory as long as I can, because the it is special for break-in. But according manual, in servere condition, I should do the first old change at 3750.

Originally posted by SL1200MK4
It's okay... what really matters actually is that you need to kinda warn up the engine first...

The engine is not gonna be so happy if you start it and shut it off too soon. Nor does it like to be running for like 12 hours a day (taxi cap kinda thing for example... and that's why police cars have dual radiator sometimes)

But what really hurts is to drive a 5 miles, shut off the engine, then start it within 5 min.... that kinda of thing...
Old 05-17-2002, 07:24 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
you should change your engine oil every 3500miles to 3750 miles as always... It won't hurt to change oil eariler. As a matter of fact a lot of my Porsche owner friends change their @ something like 600/1000 miles. As far as I know Porsche engine comes with Mobile one from Factory. And I don't think Acura comes with any special oil. Some car makers like Audi put special brake in oil in their RS4. So it can go both ways

Anyhow, @ 3750miles, it's perfectly fine to change your engine oil. Change your engine oil as often as possilbe, is the one of the BEST way to protect your engine...

I wouldn't listen to those service managers... well not all of them at least. Cuz some of them are very professional, while some of them knows how to read codes and be a professional JERK...
Old 05-17-2002, 09:36 PM
Iconoclast

Copied from an earlier post...

From the Acura Owner's Link Page - Motor Oil FAQ

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?
Your Acura engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.
American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

My service manager actually dissuaded me from changing my oil at 3750 miles since I don't drive until conditions to qualify for 'severe' service. He said to leave the oil in until 7500 miles. He did say that 5000 would be OK as I did question driving in FLorida heat with summer coming.

I did believe him as I've never known a dealer service department who didn't want to take as much money as they could from you.
Old 05-18-2002, 03:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Question about severe driving condition.

Originally posted by buynewcar2003

I do a bit because my car has low mileage. When I got my 2000 TL 12/28/99 I did not drive the car to work it was used as a school bus. I took my nephew back & forth to school. The ride was less than 3 miles oneway I would start the car up in the mourning drive to the school turn off the car take him in. I would then get back in the car re start & bring the car home to park it. This was in stop & go city traffic everyweek day. This was done the first 6 months of ownership with my car. I got the oil changed early the fisrt time because of this type of mileage & drivng. My drivng habits then changed after my nephew moved away. The car just set or it was driven on the highway more. Last year this time I was putting over 400 highway miles a week on the car. I did this for 5 months. Now I am back to normal the car gets about 30 a week generaly. I get the oil changed every 4 months. I have a bit over 21,000 miles on a 2 year old car with no problems. I have it dealer serviced & follow the year/month schedule instead of the mileage. Going to the dealer I try to take advantage of the discount coupons they send via e mail or mail to get the most for my money. I had the 15K service done last August at the mileage of 15,105. this is checks & adjustment. I have had 2 oil changes since then the last in mid March at 20,000. So when I get back from PAA MEET it will be almost time for the 22K service. At that service they will add the BG Service Kit in with the oil change.