A quart of Nitro-methayne in the gas tank? Should i do it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 02:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A quart of Nitro-methayne in the gas tank? Should i do it?

My brother went to vist a friend in MT. home arkansas who is a BIG MOPAR junkie and has a built up MOPAR somehting or other and he has Aviation fuel in 50 gallon drums and my brother and him put AVI fuel in the car and rippe dth ehighways. Well, after thatm the guy showed my brother a little something special. One quart bottle of Nitro Methayne.

My brother came home with 4 bottles. I want one from him just for the hell of it. He said this stuff is like 80% nitro and 20% somethin else, but said it wont harm your engine or anything. He was really giddy about telling me about it. I asked him what it would do if i put it in my TL-S and he laughed and said, "Good god, ittle be faster than its ever been!"

He said it shouldnt harm it at all. You just mix it with 10 gallons of gas and off you go!
Old 02-18-2002, 02:07 PM
Banned

WTF are you guys :smokin: ???
Old 02-18-2002, 02:11 PM
Intermediate

Old 02-18-2002, 02:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: A quart of Nitro-methayne in the gas tank? Should i do it?

Originally posted by enderwiggins
He was really giddy about telling me about it. I asked him what it would do if i put it in my TL-S and he laughed and said, "Good god, ittle be faster than its ever been!"
I think that guys been sniffing that stuff far too long.

Aviation fuel is basically a very refined form of Kerosene I think, to run a car meant to run on gasoline with kerosene or methanoal/alcohol.

On a old POS as an science experiment(for fun)....maybe but on a new TL-S, I'll pass for sure.
Old 02-18-2002, 02:28 PM
Intermediate

hmmmm
Old 02-18-2002, 02:50 PM
The "old" guy

Nitro Methane is what they run in funny car engines. Its not aviation fuel. It just might blow the heads off of your car....I know I wouldnt do it......
Old 02-18-2002, 02:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Indyjenks
Nitro Methane is what they run in funny car engines. Its not aviation fuel. It just might blow the heads off of your car....I know I wouldnt do it......
Who said Nitro Methane is aviation fuel?
Old 02-18-2002, 04:17 PM
The "old" guy

Originally posted by TUFF GONG

Who said Nitro Methane is aviation fuel?
Well....look up several posts. You talk about aviation fuel...perhaps I misinterpreted. Anyway....Nitro Methane is funny car fuel...very volatile stuff. And with all of the knock sensors and other electronic monitoring on the TL, I wouldnt chance putting that stuff in my car.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:35 PM
Instructor

Talking

Is this guy serious? LMAOL Be sure and let us know what happened. You'll probably be using words like: explosion, fireball, detonation, blown motor etc. to describe what happened. Then just take it to the dealer and tell em you must of got some bad gas! And have them repair it under warranty. p.s. Good Luck
Old 02-18-2002, 04:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: A quart of Nitro-methayne in the gas tank? Should i do it?

Originally posted by enderwiggins
My brother went to vist a friend in MT. home arkansas who is a BIG MOPAR junkie and has a built up MOPAR somehting or other and he has Aviation fuel in 50 gallon drums and my brother and him put AVI fuel in the car and rippe dth ehighways. Well, after thatm the guy showed my brother a little something special. One quart bottle of Nitro Methayne.

My brother came home with 4 bottles. I want one from him just for the hell of it. He said this stuff is like 80% nitro and 20% somethin else, but said it wont harm your engine or anything. He was really giddy about telling me about it. I asked him what it would do if i put it in my TL-S and he laughed and said, "Good god, ittle be faster than its ever been!"

He said it shouldnt harm it at all. You just mix it with 10 gallons of gas and off you go!

i did that with my goped...i use the nitro methane from a gas power rc...added into the gas tank of a 2 cycle goped....you cant really tell but in the high end it was hell zippy, i doubt it will be noticeable in the tl-s
Old 02-18-2002, 06:12 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Did he also sell you the top for the nitro? I ask because seasoned huffers have these sorts of complete mental breakdowns.

You could do internal damage and fry exhaust valves.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:47 PM
Instructor

Be careful with the aviation fuel.

There are 3 types:

80 Octane which has a red tint. I don't know the composition of this but @ 80 octane I wouldn't try it for obvious reasons.

100LL which has a blue tint to it. This stands for 100 octane Low Lead. So I wouldn't be putting this in my car. The lead will kill your catalytic converter and you'll be in for a nasty suprise when you fail inspection for emmisions.

Jet A which is clear. This is pretty much highly refined Kerosene. I'm not sure what this would do in a gasoline engine.

I'm assuming your friend has 100LL. That's all I see at the handful of small airports I fly out of.

But be careful what you put in your car. Engines, etc are fragile things. You don't want to kill a $30k+ car doing something dumb....
Old 02-18-2002, 07:23 PM
Intermediate

Well ...

First off Nitromethane is and had been used as an additive in many over the counter "Octane Boosters" for some time along with (toulene,xylene..etc).

On average commercial grade nitromethane is approx 95-99% pure .. and is 49.5% oxygen by weight.

The oxygen is what releases the "power" so to speak.... The increased oxygen content will work once the combination of sensors (O2) realize the oxygen content if elevated and cause the ECU to richen your fuel trim.. The propblem comes about if you mix too much.... You will run into a lean condition as a car likes to see 14.7:1 fuel ratio with gasoline but with nitromethane would be a 2:1 ratio... so running too much will cause heat/detonation/etc...

Realistically, a maximum nitro to gasoline ratio of 2% is accepted w/o having a lean condition. In the mixture suggested of 1qt to a tank of gas you will approx a 1.4% ratio (Your friend w/Mopar I assume can jet his carbeurator or tune his EFI to run very rich when he is using the nitro).. bottom line is it is a popular "trick" and when you mix ~36 oz per full tank (14 gallons) youll have a 2% mixture that will give you a bit of oommmphh.....

CAUTION.... You should also add a lubricant to the mixture like 2 ounces of transmission fluid etc ... yeah I know sounds stupid but is necessary....

BTW: Nitromethane is volitile, carcinogenic, unstable, highly flamable (can burn w/o any oxygen around it).. and using it in your engine excessively or long term will accrue an explosive and highly flammable mixture in your oil that can make one hell of a big boom ripping your heads , bottom-end (engine well and ass for that matter) .. apart...

choose wisely