Problem Trannys - Brakes - and ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 07:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem Trannys - Brakes - and ???

Hello all!

I'm new to the site and am considering my first ever Acura. For that matter my first ever non-american car. I've heard some very good things about Acuras and all the reviews about the TL-S are very positive.

Of course I was surpised to read what you all know about the tranny & brake problems........... but what about rattles and squeaks?

My question: Would you say they are common in the TLs? Would they be considered, say, the third bugaboo after trannys & brakes?

I really love the lines on the TL and for my money the TL-S has all I want in a sports sedan. (except the rattles and creaks!)

Thanks everyone. Nice to be here!
Old 06-10-2003, 10:44 PM
Intermediate

From what I hear, yes, they are common. Also, your TL will be made in the good ole USA, so if you're looking for a 'true' Jap car, you'll have to keep looking (or wait 'til next year, I think). In any case, as long as your transmission doesn't catapult you to an early death, you're getting one hell of a car for the money. At least, that's how I look at it.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Welcome aboard! Let's just say that the sqeaks and rattles are very minor problems that can be fixed under warranty. Overall the TL has a fairly good fit and finish and quality, when compared to domestic cars like Ford and Chrysler. For the money, you can't go wrong with the TL. As for tranny problems, please note that not all TLs have this problem. There is a chance you may get it, then again you may not. Besides all new TLs coming out now will have this tranny problem fixed. And if you get a 2nd hand TL, there is the warranty extention in place (7 years/100,000 km I think). There's a lot of vocal members here, and you are hearing from all the people that have complaints. Don't let that scare you away from the TL. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2003, 06:37 PM
Intermediate

Thanks Patrick for your comments. To be honest, after reading the numerous posts about the tranny & brake problems I just about wrote off the TL-S. However, you're advice is well taken.

I have always admired the lines of the car and thought it would be neat to own one someday. I remember as a high school student ( a number of years ago !!!) in art class I designed a car for the future and believe it or not the lines of the current TL are very close to mine. Maybe that's why I've had such a love for the car. And now as my current lease is about up on my Grand Am I thought "wouldn't it be cool to finally own a TL-S?"

So thanks again. I've taken off the next 2 days from work to visit Acura dealers and see what kind of deal I can get.

Will let you know my results.

Russ "Dr Groove" Seuffert
Old 06-11-2003, 07:10 PM
Banned

Have you seen the new 04 TL model (comcept)? If you wait a little longer you might even get a better deal on the 03 TL since the dealer will be trying to push them off the lot for the new year model. Or you might even like the new 04 Model. I have a 1999 TL and within the 4 years and counting there has not been any major problems. I have to say the TL has nothing been but enjoyment and reliable for me.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by hzm82
Have you seen the new 04 TL model (comcept)? If you wait a little longer you might even get a better deal on the 03 TL since the dealer will be trying to push them off the lot for the new year model. Or you might even like the new 04 Model. I have a 1999 TL and within the 4 years and counting there has not been any major problems. I have to say the TL has nothing been but enjoyment and reliable for me.
Ditto here...no major problems at all with my 99 TL.
Old 06-14-2003, 03:40 PM
Intermediate

TEST DRIVES

After taking both the TL-S and the TSX for drives I have to say the TL-S is the car for me. Plus I get to take advatage of a very nice leasing deal. I went to 3 dealers and had 3 completely different experiences from bad to very good. Fortunately the best place is where I can get the best deal.

I know there are guys on the TSX site who went the other way and bought the TSX. Hey, in either case we all win. They're both fine cars.

I'm hoping by the end of the month to have a TL-S in Aegean Blue sitting in my garage!
Old 06-15-2003, 12:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Re: TEST DRIVES

Originally posted by Dr Groove
After taking both the TL-S and the TSX for drives I have to say the TL-S is the car for me. Plus I get to take advatage of a very nice leasing deal. I went to 3 dealers and had 3 completely different experiences from bad to very good. Fortunately the best place is where I can get the best deal.

I know there are guys on the TSX site who went the other way and bought the TSX. Hey, in either case we all win. They're both fine cars.

I'm hoping by the end of the month to have a TL-S in Aegean Blue sitting in my garage!
Congrats!