Previous owner used Regular gas for years - what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
seafoam it this week and repeat in a month for first timers
then good for a year
Everyone can do that and get some result to WOW! results
Old 06-01-2009, 07:39 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockstar21
just for everyones info... although gas prices may seem high.

on average the difference from 87-91/93 in price on an ENTIRE tank..

about 3 bucks most cars a little over 2
if you fill up once a week... your saving about 160-170 bucks a year.. not breaking anyones bank IMO
EXACTLY! I had to point this out to a few people myself. People bitch about premium costing more than regular...it's only about $3 more, MAX.

I fill up about once a week: 4x$3 times every month -> $12 x 12months = about $144 more a year. And that's SPACED out.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:13 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
1 can of seafoam in the gas tank and a can of seafoam in the intake manifold vac port
Clean the TB with carb cleaner or Deep Creep
repeat in a month then install new NGK Iridium IX spark plugs
You will be good to go- also need to reset the ECU after cleaning everything- it will have adapted to the lower octane
91 or higher isnt a choice- the engine needs it

Phee- it wont clean the intake manifold by putting it in the oil- what are you thinking?
It does a great job cleaning the oil passages inside the engine that way, and probably the oil pickup tube screen--
I use a fresh oil filter and drive more than most would with seafoam in the oil-
also use vtec as I heard gen3 issue with vtec sliders gumming up and not working- big dollars to replace, so keeping mine clean~

Must put it thru the main vac port to clean the intake manifold, even then its not going to get everything.
Every 75k miles or so its wise to pull the manifold and clean the EGR ports and intake runners, that the only way to clean the egr ports
i know that tom, i ever put anything in my oil.
i used it in my gas tank and used the PROPER vacuum port method. intake manifold was grimy and the EGR was caked completey 500 miles after doing my seafoam. i know you state that it doesnt clean the egr, but the runners were black too...

if it doesnt clean the manifold, doesnt clean the egr, doesnt clean the runners..then what does the vacuum method clean? the piston tops? definitely not worth it IMO.

If you really want my opinion, i think seafoam is snake oil. but i dont want to thread jack.

Last edited by phee; 06-01-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:20 PM
6MT Someday..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
i used it in my gas tank and used the PROPER vacuum port method. intake manifold was grimy and the EGR was caked completey 500 miles after doing my seafoam. i know you state that it doesnt clean the egr, but the runners were black too...

if it doesnt clean the manifold, doesnt clean the egr, doesnt clean the runners..then what does the vacuum method clean? the piston tops? definitely not worth it IMO.

If you really want my opinion, i think seafoam is snake oil.
but i dont want to thread jack.
blasphemy!
Old 06-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Team Owner

no its not snake oil- its closer in the oil barrel scale to jet fuel- also known as high detergent oils

phee: sorry if I misunderstood your post- thought you were expecting manifold to clean oil--need new glasses
first timers are supposed to repeat in a month for max cleaning
If you used a full can in half tank gas and full can in manifold and correct engine temp doing engine and blowout drive-it must have been pretty dirty to start!!

If you used 1/3 can each- thats not enough for a 120k mile car on first treatment of any product= bg-or whoever

As I recall, your car had a lot of issues when you got it...cant blame seafoam for not performing miracle in one use

Want to see it work? when the manifold is off- shoot some on the caked egr port
and watch it melt away

watch a few vids from different gas companies- crud is so bad with ethanol added gas they are putting nitrogen or techrolone or xyz in the gas from the refinerey to help everyone!
the stuff on the valves gets bad fast and reduces performance. and the piston tops
Combustion areas are clean -thats more important than spotless intake runners
Dont forget the TB plate cleaning now and then too

As fast as seafoam is going thru the runners you cant expect perfection- shoot it direct in when manifold is off the car and they are spotless

To each his own on product choice or having dealer or speedie do similar cleaning (some machines actually use seafoam in them!)
but doing it is important
Old 06-01-2009, 01:43 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
i get what youre saying, but i have been seafoaming every oil change (3k miles for me because i drive hard). and i frequently take my engine apart (as you know ) and i have not noticed any cleaning being done.

but my car did run nicer and smoother with the seafoam in the gas
Old 06-01-2009, 02:12 PM
6MT Someday..

When I did the EGR port clean on the wifes 99 odyssey-the seafoam did wonders on "melting" away the crud that was inside. I noticed a difference in idle smoothness and fuel econ in both my TL and the wifes van. Seafoam FTW
Old 06-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by phee

If you really want my opinion, i think seafoam is snake oil. but i dont want to thread jack.
That's why I wondered this: "He put it in the oil each time, or in the intake at oil change intervals?"
Old 06-02-2009, 03:37 AM
Team Owner

indeed totalled!-
Phee: how were you using foam, how much where, and why so often?

In the gas cleans the injectors and does a partial on the intake valves and pistons
2oz per gallon of fuel is cleaning dose
1 oz per gallon of fuel is `maitenance dose` ok to do every 5000 miles and will keep things pretty clean until the next foam yearly service

The manifold method does more for the pistons and valves with a concentrated rush of cleaner

the oil method does the oil gallies and a bit for the piston ring cleaning

there are other uses and methods for it to, its a science and a game to find out what!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:05 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Seafoam doesn't work in gas tanks.

You need an additive that contains PEA-- PEA is extremely effective for fuel system cleaning.

Amsoil PI, Redline SI-1 or Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus (Not Pro-Guard!) are products that you should consider, NOT Seafoam.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:16 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
Seafoam doesn't work in gas tanks.

You need an additive that contains PEA-- PEA is extremely effective for fuel system cleaning.

Amsoil PI, Redline SI-1 or Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus (Not Pro-Guard!) are products that you should consider, NOT Seafoam.
I'd spend the few extra bucks and grab one of these as well...
Old 06-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Team Owner

I am big on the Redline SI-1 in the gas tank, as a fuel injector cleaner- thats its specialty and actual name!

trying to get people to buy one thing is hard enough let alone educate on two products

I disagree foam wont work in gas at all, BUT there are better products for the tank- yes--lets redo the diy!
Old 06-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
I am big on the Redline SI-1 in the gas tank, as a fuel injector cleaner- thats its specialty and actual name!

trying to get people to buy one thing is hard enough let alone educate on two products

I disagree foam wont work in gas at all, BUT there are better products for the tank- yes--lets redo the diy!
Yeah, I don't doubt that seafoam would work, at least a little bit.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Traded in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread was kinda doomed to be hijacked from the beginning seeing as how grade of gas to use is a highly contested subject on AZ
But to the OP, if you haven't already done so, seafoam will be your friend soon enough. Like Soda and 01tl were saying, it may not be the most effective in the gas, it will still help clean a bunch of crud. You should have no problems switchin over to premium without it, but EGR port/IM cleaning will do your car wonders now as well. I just did mine on Friday and man was stuff dirty and CLOGGED UP!! It looks complicated but when you do get in there, it's not so bad. Just take your time..
Then after all that, you will be able to get the most outta premium.
Oh and have fun with the car!!
Old 06-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Instructor

I did the seafoam in the gas tank this morning. I have another can ready to go. I don't necessarily trust myself with the EGR/IM though.

Anyone in Northern NJ that plans on doing this soon? I'm due for an oil change next week, so I could ask my guy to do this (gas station, not the dealer).
Old 06-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Pro

What about fouling spark plugs and/or o2 sensor? (only for the vacuum cleaning)
Old 06-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Instructor

since I just did the seafoam today, how long should I wait before putting in the Redline in the gas tank?
Old 06-02-2009, 07:42 PM
6MT Someday..

Originally Posted by Neejay
What about fouling spark plugs and/or o2 sensor? (only for the vacuum cleaning)
Ive done the seafoam vacuum method on both of my vehicles..no fouled plugs or O2 probs..the only thing it did was trip the CEL with cylinder misfire codes. Luckily I have a OBDII scanner that clears those right up.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:36 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by goMO
I did the seafoam in the gas tank this morning. I have another can ready to go. I don't necessarily trust myself with the EGR/IM though.

Anyone in Northern NJ that plans on doing this soon? I'm due for an oil change next week, so I could ask my guy to do this (gas station, not the dealer).
I am actully gonna take apart my intake manifold and clean my EGR port and install outlaw engineering spacers next week sometime prob Wed...I was gonna do it tomm by my car is undrivable (my shock fell through my dampining fork and is resting on my driveshaft) so my shock will be here thursday so i might do it sunday or wed, those are the 2 days I have off..
What exactly do u wanna do with your car..BTW i live 5 min from the meadowlands!
Old 06-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Team Owner

throw redline in the gas tank now!
so you get the injectors cleaned, and more on the valves and pistons.
It will show improvement rapidly
Usually you add the gas cleaner to the tank- then do seafoam warm up drive- so cleaner is active already in the system- do IM seafoam - the blowout drive,
Drive off the tank as normal driving or playing-
repeat in a month and enjoy the results

I have not worked out the dilution ratio on redline yet- use at max strength on bottle-
iirc a whole bottle treats 21 gal- so cleaning strength would be about 1 bottle to half a tank of gas - like we were doing before should be fine
iirc it says 8 gal min on bottle...anyone read the bottle please?!

fouling plugs only happens if you have 100k miles on the pugs and they are making weak weak spark,you dont do a warm up drive- dont do an after foam blowout drive--then it may foul a plug just from the crud sticking to the spark plugs
If they are newer- 60k- they will be fine
follow OUR diy here and all will be well-ignore utube or other forums on this one

Its suggested by me and others that after you do clean everything, go ahead and replace the plugs now if you have more than 60k miles-- to take advantage of the newly clean environment- carbon ruins combustion/firing in the cylinders and now its clean as new-ready to work as designed

If you dont do the IM method in the right engine and exhaust temp range- and the engine was very dirty inside, thats when crud gets stuck on the O2 sensor-
which has a self heater and will clean off within a day or 2 of driving ,, self cancels the warning light

If that happens, you need to do another cleaning in a week not the normal month for 1st timers- then its good for a year

Some cars are more crud filled than others- brand of gas and octane are the differances
Old 06-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Team Owner

02- this thread wasnt really hijacked- it was a question on what to do after someone ran regular gas for years

We all agree cleaning the injectors valves pistons etc is a good plan- and a few products to do it the best with based on experience and scientific backing
Its stayed amazingly close to topic---for once hahaha
Old 06-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Traded in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^Haha..I was talkin more bout the cost of premium vs reg intermission at the end of the 1st page finishin in the 2nd..almost turned into another one of those gas threads we all love to read bout reg this, premium that..yadayadayada. You kinda brought it back to what OP wanted to know..with a lil plug of redline

They and seafoam should really pay you for the advertising you put on here

OP - Really..it's not that bad. But if twisted does help you out watch n learn cuz it will be useful in the future..plus it sounds cool when you can say, "so I cleaned the EGR ports and IM on my car this weekend"..people who know nothin bout cars will envy you
Old 06-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Instructor

believe me, I'd like to get there where I can do my own stuff. But I'm 48 and haven't done anything like this before.

Sounds like Stoned CL is less than an hour from me, so if he would be nice enough to have me drop by at his convenience, that would be great!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Instructor

I'll have to contact the dealer and see exactly what maintenance has been done and when the plugs were replaced. Former owner brought it to dealer exclusively (so he says..) over the last 5 years. Acura of Ramsey. I know his last oil change was there as the sticker shows the dealer on it.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Stoned - shoot me an email at jbratter@yahoo.com if you want to take this offline. Thanks in advance for any help! Basically, I want to seafoam the IM and clean out the EGR port.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Stoned - shoot me an email at jbratter@yahoo.com if you want to take this offline. Thanks in advance for any help! Basically, I want to seafoam the IM and clean out the EGR port.
Or how about using the PM button.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Instructor

I don't see the PM option when I click on his username.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:46 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
I don't see the PM option when I click on his username.
you should now... ^^^ you have enough post.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Team Owner

if the car has not seen the dealer for the 105- its on original spark plugs
Expect it to need ps flush and brake fluid flush too

Acura sent me email offer for brake fluid flush for only $139! reg 159

and we do it for 20 including the right wrench purchase first time
Old 06-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Team Owner

the also offer induction service- a machine driven version of seafoam- $159!!
many places actually use seafoam in the machine~
Old 06-03-2009, 05:16 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had my PM's off for 8 years i just turned them on, I sent u a msg gomo, just click on my name and profile and type your MSG in that box, I msged u!
Old 06-03-2009, 05:24 PM
2003 TL-p

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
i really need to clean my egr ports and do a good seafoam treatment

back to the original topic - i only use Sunoco 93 or Shell 93 v-power FTW
Old 07-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Instructor

so I did the seafoam in the engine oil and im this weekend. changed the oil 10 miles after putting it in.

it didn't smoke as much as I've seen in some videos, but it definitely smoked when I gassed it. it stopped smoking after about ten minutes of "spirited" driving...

next week my buddy and I will clean out the im and egr port. then spark plugs.

I don't think the original owner did a ps or brake flush. At least the dealer didn't mention that in telling me what service he did over the last few years. tranny was replaced at 35k miles. I have 137k on it now..
Old 07-06-2009, 01:38 AM
Team Owner

dont worry about vids on the tube- how hot the exhaust is, how much and how fast you added seafoam and how much time it sat ,,thats where the smoke comes from

very few people do the ps and brake fluid flush ever!- especially at the dealer when they get quoted 150+ dollars on a simple DIY

Have you changed the cabin air filter yet?- thats another one to be done each year , with brake fluid change and seafoam,,,
and change the batteries in the house smoke alarm!