Preliminary FAQ on the Voice Recognition module:

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2001, 03:30 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang, that sounds really pimp. I think I like the 2nd or 3rd option better. If its continuously 'listening' then you have to watch your conversations. It would be bad if your car went into 'PIMP' mode if your mom was in the car

TLracr

------------------
Dark Emerald Pearl 2000 3.2 TL with Nav, Sebring Mufflers, Sebring Quad Sport Exhaust System, Factory Spoiler, HP Quantum Mirror Tint, 6 Disc Alpine CD changer, 16" 139C Pacer wheels, Yokohama 215/55/16s, PIAA 1700x
------------

Click to visit my updated page with pictures of my TL!
http://www.stanford.edu/~sevan9
Old 03-21-2001, 03:37 PM
Instructor

Fiddler,

I think it'd help a lot if you got a someone to take care of installations here on the west coast. I'm sure there are a lot of us here (especially in California) that would like a shot at this or even beta test. The person you contract would make tons of money. Just a thought.

TLracr

------------------
Dark Emerald Pearl 2000 3.2 TL with Nav, Sebring Mufflers, Sebring Quad Sport Exhaust System, Factory Spoiler, HP Quantum Mirror Tint, 6 Disc Alpine CD changer, 16" 139C Pacer wheels, Yokohama 215/55/16s, PIAA 1700x
------------

Old 03-21-2001, 03:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

There will(should) defnitely be a way to turn it off in case the mom is in the car.
Old 03-21-2001, 03:42 PM
Racer

there really shouldnt be any worried about it accidentally understanding "pimp" mode but as with any device, an off switch is a good idea and this will have one

west coast distribution would obviously be a great plus, but as with any other business dicision, i first have to see how it goes.
Potential west coast beta testers with distribution/installation capacity may feel free to email me.

------------------
-Fiddler
1998 Accord EX V6 Coupe (HomePage)
Old 03-21-2001, 04:01 PM
Instructor

I'm kind of curious actually. How sensitive is the VRM? You mentioned briefly before about how if you recorded it in dead silence then it will be best if you activate the VRM in dead silence. But if its that sensitive, then I'm curious about the overall effectiveness. I think most of us will agree that the overall cabin variance in terms of decibles will vary quite a bit. A lot factors including how far, if at all, your windows are open, radio, passengers, road noise, external noise (cars etc) and the like will almost always be present. I'm not sure if you tested it yet on the road but if you did can you give us some insight as to its effectiveness?

Thanks,
TLracr

------------------
------------

Old 03-21-2001, 04:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Fiddler:
there really shouldnt be any worried about it accidentally understanding "pimp" mode but as with any device, an off switch is a good idea and this will have one

west coast distribution would obviously be a great plus, but as with any other business dicision, i first have to see how it goes.
Potential west coast beta testers with distribution/installation capacity may feel free to email me.

midwest??

------------------
'01 Lexus IS300
'91 Acura NSX
'95 Nissan Maxima
Old 03-21-2001, 04:50 PM
Banned

What years are limited to this system? I assume none since it is based on parts being electronically controlled.

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2001, 05:18 PM
Racer

Yes, the only limitation is that the part in question has to be controlled electronically.

As far as sensitivity. I have tested it in various situations. It works best in whatever situation you trained it in, but it does give you leeway. I have trained it in silence and used it with the car going 40mph with the windows open, effectively. Things like other people talking or the radio on will have more effect on performance. Another thing to remember is what kinds of command you give it. Something with a lot (or long) vowels will be a much better command. For instance, if you use "KITT!" as the command word, the effectiveness will be a lot less than if you say something like "listen up!"
In my car, I use "Accord" as the command word and then commands like "close windows", "cruise mode", "sunroof open" .. With the 2 word command, the accuracy is a LOT better.
As with any voice recognition system, noise WILL effect it, but if it's within reasonable limits, it's quite accurate. I'm sure future revisions will get more accurate as the technology improves and gets cheaper

------------------
-Fiddler

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Fiddler on March 21, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-21-2001, 06:48 PM
Cruisin'

Is this system Active or passive? Do the "triggerd pulses" coming from the CPU hook into each accessory in parallel?

also is this controled by a regular computer with a i/o card attached?

This seems VERY neat and WOULD indeed require someone that knows where each wire is going. I assume everything tappes into the fuse/relay box?
Old 03-21-2001, 08:12 PM
Racer

Arrow

Originally posted by Jayru:
Is this system Active or passive? Do the "triggerd pulses" coming from the CPU hook into each accessory in parallel?

>>Not sure exactly what you mean .. please elaborate. If i understand what you mean, then the system is active and the outputs are in parallel.

also is this controled by a regular computer with a i/o card attached?

>>no .. the device is self-contained. a Basic unit would be about 5"x5"x1.5"

This seems VERY neat and WOULD indeed require someone that knows where each wire is going. I assume everything tappes into the fuse/relay box?

>>this really depends on how the electrical system in the car is set up. In my own car, with the prototype, i tapped directly into the buttons for windows/doors/sunroof.

------------------
-Fiddler
Old 03-22-2001, 12:23 PM
Racer

Smile

More, more! need more replies!