Possibly a new maker for a big brake kit for our cars $700-900! Need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 09:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possibly a new maker for a big brake kit for our cars $700-900! Need your help!

Okay guys, what if I said I have a connection that can possibly might make us a big brake kit for our cars? (I am waiting on a email from him, but he did it for the Maxima guys).

www.fastbrakes.com is willing to do this but we would need some stuff to make it happen.

1) He would need the spindle assembly where the caliper, rotor, etc all attach too so he can make the kit. If anyone has a spare that would be needed.

2) We possibly would need a guranteed order of 10 with payment put down I believe of the amount above for the kits.

The calipers are Wilwood. Very very good brand. 4 piston calipers, and very light wegiht brake rotors. These kits will perform just as good as brembos for half the cost.

We had these kits made for the Maxima group and many got into it. They had the GD for like $695 or something for the whole kit at the beginning I believe it was or around there.

He can make 2 kits.

1) A complete replacement kit that replaces everything calipers, rotors, brake lines, all mounting hardware

2) Or just larger rotors, lines, all monting hardware using stock calipers

I want to gauge everyones interest in this.

Moderators please STICKY this! This is gonna be a awesome deal. And the kits can be made to go behind the STOCK wheels.

You can go to his site to see the kits he has done. www.fastbrakes.com.

Reply if interested guys....!
Old 10-24-2002, 10:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wilwood=Brembo. Uh- no.

Make sure you look at what you're getting.

Wilwood is notorious for using MUCH smaller pads than the competition. Lower pad area=lower braking force. Their calipers and rotors tend to be so much lighter, because they are much weaker.

Secondly, that Max kit uses 12" rotors. Aren't ours already 12"?

Go with Wilwood if you want a lighter brake package, not a better one. This is my experience from the Camaro end of it.

Personally, I think without going to 13" front rotors, that there isn't much benefit.

Todd
Old 10-24-2002, 02:22 PM
Banned

umm you must be stupid or something.

These kits will out perform our stocks by many times. Also the Brembo (your paying for the name). There kits are great and all, but you don't need that massive amount of braking power for our cars. These Wilwoods are KNOWN for quality and awesome braking. They are known to be good. The Maxima has 12" brakes stock as well, but guess what, they still get them and out perform the stock ones by a long SHOT!

People who know the quality of Wilwoods know how good they are. acura-cl.com to see the response we are getting. Do a search on the internet about Wilwood. You will find nothing but good things.

Also I use to own a TransAm. The cars are so heavy even some aftermarket brakes suck. The rotors warp bad on those cars even aftermarket ones do.

Originally posted by T Ho
Wilwood=Brembo. Uh- no.

Make sure you look at what you're getting.

Wilwood is notorious for using MUCH smaller pads than the competition. Lower pad area=lower braking force. Their calipers and rotors tend to be so much lighter, because they are much weaker.

Secondly, that Max kit uses 12" rotors. Aren't ours already 12"?

Go with Wilwood if you want a lighter brake package, not a better one. This is my experience from the Camaro end of it.

Personally, I think without going to 13" front rotors, that there isn't much benefit.

Todd
Old 10-24-2002, 06:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Ok, I'm stupid. You're right, of course. I've only been messing with this stuff for 14 years, or so.

Also, know that 4th gen TAs and Z28s weigh LESS than the TL-S. Look into it.

Also, look into finding out how a kit that uses the same size rotors, with the same or less swept area than stock, can brake so much better. Then, look into the fact that the same thing could be accomplished with a good set of pads.

But, hey, it's your nickel. Enjoy. I didn't know I wasn't permitted to disagree with your assessment.
Old 10-24-2002, 07:17 PM
Racer

After further research.. I may buy 2 front Brembo blanks ($75 each) and put on some portfield RS4 pads..and I am all set...

The question do I need new rotors...?
Old 10-24-2002, 09:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
im with SilverBulletCLS the wildwood is a very good brake system for the money. sure there might be better ones but you will also be paying a lot more. i had a set on an integra for 3 years (alot of road racing) and they were exelent brakes
Old 10-24-2002, 10:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

hey t ho, so you have some experiences with wilwood products. are they really that bad? is so what happened to your setup? i kinda want a good comparison between the wilwood and say brembo. it would be very interesting to see how they compare with each other. so far everyone i know they have either one or the other so it's hard to compare.

and SilverBulletCLS, you said "but you don't need that massive amount of braking power for our cars" you kidding me? what's enough? what's not? there is never a enough for braking power, the better is always the better.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:27 AM
Burning Brakes

My experiences- the typical: Warped rotors, brake fade when they heat up, and caliper leaks (around the piston seals) after not too many miles (10000). Maybe they've fixed these issues, but somehow I doubt it- they still undersize their pads, and their rotors are light, because they are thin.
I can't give you a personal Brembo comparison, though. Never ponied up the $$$ for them, and I'm not particularly fond of them, either.

I do agree with SilverBullet on one point, though-

Exactly what do you need all that stopping power for? Are you road racing the car? Beyond a certain "good enough" point, the advantage to going to bigger brakes, is that they don't heat up as much during road racing applications. For the street, you really need enough capacity for one or two high speed stops. The factory brakes are actually pretty decent in that regard. That's money that could be spent elsewhere (particularly if you go for the totally useless slotted/cross drilled thing), on mods that give you a better return on performance per dollar spent.

I'd like to see them run a test, using the same pad compound, on these kits with the same size rotors as stock. I'd bet the results would be much closer. But then, why would they do that?

Here's a sample of the pad issue I'm speaking of (not for the TL, but it illustrates the point)-
http://www.prospeedmotorsport.com/brake_kit_compare.htm

I don't know what's out there for the TL-S.

Todd
Old 10-25-2002, 08:07 AM
Banned

They do really?

I weighed my TRANSAM 6SPD, loaded at 3580.

Weird.....guess they are heavier.

Originally posted by T Ho
Ok, I'm stupid. You're right, of course. I've only been messing with this stuff for 14 years, or so.

Also, know that 4th gen TAs and Z28s weigh LESS than the TL-S. Look into it.

Also, look into finding out how a kit that uses the same size rotors, with the same or less swept area than stock, can brake so much better. Then, look into the fact that the same thing could be accomplished with a good set of pads.

But, hey, it's your nickel. Enjoy. I didn't know I wasn't permitted to disagree with your assessment.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:11 PM
Banned

bump
Old 10-29-2002, 11:31 AM
Banned

Anyone have a spare spindle for the ACURA CL/TL.

He needs this to fit the kits on. Anyone?

Without this the deal won't happen.