possible AT tranny problem/s

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 07:40 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possible AT tranny problem/s

Hi there... I own an 2003 Acura TL-S... according to the records from the dealer.... it is not covered under the Extended warranty for the AT recall.... However, it had been serviced in '04, by fixing the 2nd gear lubrication thingy ;-p.... don't know the exactly whats called.

OK... here is what I have noticed.

When I accelerate at a certain steady rate, not hard, but slightly below moderate acceleration, and it switches from 2nd to 3rd, even sometime from 3rd to 4th gear.... during the transmission between the gears, there is a feel of vibration on the steering wheel for like a second or two. Feels like braking with warped rottors when they get hot, but just when you accelerate.... Also, it is not consistent... It does not happen every time.... and there is NO vibration ever when I accelerate hard.... its smooth...

So... The dealer is not willing to look at it, unless I pay like a 150$ diagnostic fee... I am wondering, if anyone has had similar problems, and could let me know what it could be.

Thanks guys :-)
Old 06-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have the same problem with u..

it happens when I drive 30-40Mph.. when the tranny shift from 3rd gear to 4th gear..

So I decided to change my tranny.. I think it's time to get a new one..

I have 02 TL Type-S Navi with 124K miles..
Old 06-29-2008, 09:44 AM
10th Gear

mine has only bout 74000 miles..... I've been reading that some of the AT recalls for '03 tl, including tl-s.... have issues with prematurly worn out 3rd gear clutch packs.... and the transmissions are being replaced.... also read... that the issue persists if you HAD YOUR TRANSMISSION REPLACED BEFORE SOMETIMES IN '05.

My question would be.... what is so different on my '03 TL-S AT Tranny from the ones build a few months earlier... since I've seen people report having same problems, till after a certain period in '05 or so.... that it is exluded from the exteneded powertrain warranty lawsuit?
Old 06-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
it was a court case to extend the warranty to 7 years 100k miles due to high failure rate-
They needed a VIN to put on paper so the case could settle.
Cars built the next day- next month- next years-- all have the same trans.
Acura normally covers those cars as ~goodwill~ replacements, just like their earlier siblings.

If you have salvage title you get no warranty on the trans or anything- you do still get covered on recall items

You can read all about the settlement issues in thread Tranny failure
If you register with acura you can get the story from them too, and see whats open warranty on your car
http://owners.acura.com/registration...erstepone.aspx

There were changes made in early to mid 05- with the physical case that holds all the parts, getting better oil passages--- and the prior- recall installed - external oiler kit for 2nd gear has been relocated to inside on the newer units.
They are holding up much better than before, though being a bunch of parts- some still fail.

There are certain symptoms to look for- the slip or delay shifting into 2nd - 3rd- at hard or very light throttle- read all of them on the acura site or azine threads
Try cruising at 25 and 35 in D5- stomp the gas- how does it respond- cant catch a gear and launch or D5 light flashes or drives fine?
Old 06-29-2008, 04:41 PM
10th Gear

my car accelerates smoothly.... dont seem to notice anything when putin pedal to the metal... but this vibration that I get.... it is not consistent.... seems to be happening going from 2nd-3rd or 3rd-4th gear... it does not happen every time.... but it is annoying nonetheless. So, I am thinking that the 3rd gear seem to be somewhat jacked up.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
could be a motor mount broken- the front and passenger side go out all the time.
Often people think they have trans prob.... that turns out to be a motor mount.

The TL has special hydraulic fluid filled mounts- making them $100-$120 just for the part!!!
Some model years also have vacuum assist to the mount~ so when you get on it, the motor mounts get tighter--- when the mount goes bad, a vac leak appears that no one can figure out from the top of the motor....

If you own car ramps- put the front of the car up and crawl under looking for fluid residue from the mount.
Then do the old school methof of: trusted friend stands on brake and with car in gear (wheels blocked) gives it a little gas as you watch for motion of the engine

If you have not experienced an actual TL trans failure before- go have a pro check it for you
Have autozone type store check for any codes- they do it free

What you are describing is not a standard failure signal