polish vs wax

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 12:11 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
polish vs wax

whats the diff???

do i need to do both ???

is there a certain type of dawn i should used for my car? or is there certain dawn products i should avoid?

thanks for the info guys.....
Old 04-25-2002, 12:41 PM
Intermediate

Polish is where you get that nice little shine from, wax you use for protection (no, not that kind of protection). If you want to do it right, you will need both.

You have Meguiar's, Zaino, Klasse, Mothers. They're all good products. I have to admit that Zaino people are a little scary. You will switch over, or else... It's like a friggin cult you got going on.
As for Dawn, Sal Zaino is the only one I know of that recommends it.
Old 04-25-2002, 12:45 PM
Racer

so wax first then polish?????
Old 04-25-2002, 12:53 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Polish replenishes the oils back into your paint and also cleans it. As Venom said, the wax is for protection.

Yes, you polish first, then wax. If you decide to clay your car, then you clay, polish and the wax.
Old 04-25-2002, 01:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by paultl
so wax first then polish?????
No, polish first, then wax. When applying polish and wax, you want to let that sit for at least 30 minutes to dry out. If you can let it sit for an hour, even better. I wouldn't do it if the oustide temp is under 60 F.
Old 04-25-2002, 01:14 PM
9th Gear

Originally posted by Venom

I have to admit that Zaino people are a little scary. You will switch over, or else... It's like a friggin cult you got going on.
ummm, so I should leave this one alone ? being new here and all ?

The dawn is used only to strip off any wax that may be left on the car - sure you could even use a different brand - but dawn is way up the alkaline scale - and does a great job at it.

also, he doesnt say to do it often - it is NOT a habit you wanna make.

a polish/ wax line - in the carnauba family doesnt require a dawn wash . .

the polish is designed to remove the old wax, clean up the finish abit and get it ready for the shine layer . ..

does seem like a lot of steps - but if its what you like , then get the good stuff . .

if this is your first serious cleaning/waxing . . . then you really should clay it . . .
Old 04-25-2002, 06:15 PM
Drifting

Clay it, wash it, dry it, polish it, wax it. All done.
Old 04-25-2002, 07:08 PM
Pro

Wax AFTER Polish?

I just went through my first routine of Zaino products last weekend.

Evidently I put too much on, because I have smears that I can't seem to remove with a cloth. They just sort of move around. I used about a fourth of a bottle of Z-5 on top of Z-1. It didn't seem like I was using that much, because it is hard to see against the ABP as you apply it. It just seems to disappear. I was used to wax products, so I just kept putting it on until I could see a white layer of haze stay behind. Well I guess I used WAAAAAY too much. It may take another Dawn treatment to get it off, to start over again. I will start with the Zaino wash first, though, and see what that does.

HOWEVER, I will say that I've never seen a car look AND feel so good. My hands just glide over the surface! It not only looks like a mirror, but it feels like one as well!

I think the worst part is the first time. I'm not going to give up on it just yet, because of the fantastic results that I see possbible from it...

BUT ONE BIG QUESTION... Everything that I read in the Zaino literature says that Z-2 is fine for your TOP COAT... NO NEED to apply wax on top of it... Z-2 will provide more environmental protection from the elements of sun, smog, rain, salt, you name it... better than any other product on the market!

SO WHY DO YOU SAY TO STILL ADD WAX ON TOP OF IT???? If so, how do you proceed with followup detailing? Do you just add a coat of Zaino on TOP of the wax and then another coat of wax on top of that???? Or do you have to strip down the wax coat with Dawn and start all over again??? Are you saying that you should always end up with a top coat of wax? If so, this upkeep is ludicrous (unless you don't have a job). Zaino claims that Z-2 is fine for the top coat... I just put too much on the first time... NO NEED to mix wax on top of it... Zaino says it just yellows things...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, unless told otherwise. Then I'll probably go away from Zaino, if it indeed takes this many steps to stay on top of things. I want one of those midnight specials where you just "Set it and forget it"... LOL
Old 04-25-2002, 07:43 PM
Drifting

Re: Wax AFTER Polish?

Originally posted by Southbound
I just went through my first routine of Zaino products last weekend.

Evidently I put too much on, because I have smears that I can't seem to remove with a cloth. They just sort of move around. I used about a fourth of a bottle of Z-5 on top of Z-1. It didn't seem like I was using that much, because it is hard to see against the ABP as you apply it. It just seems to disappear. I was used to wax products, so I just kept putting it on until I could see a white layer of haze stay behind. Well I guess I used WAAAAAY too much. It may take another Dawn treatment to get it off, to start over again. I will start with the Zaino wash first, though, and see what that does.

HOWEVER, I will say that I've never seen a car look AND feel so good. My hands just glide over the surface! It not only looks like a mirror, but it feels like one as well!

I think the worst part is the first time. I'm not going to give up on it just yet, because of the fantastic results that I see possbible from it...

BUT ONE BIG QUESTION... Everything that I read in the Zaino literature says that Z-2 is fine for your TOP COAT... NO NEED to apply wax on top of it... Z-2 will provide more environmental protection from the elements of sun, smog, rain, salt, you name it... better than any other product on the market!

SO WHY DO YOU SAY TO STILL ADD WAX ON TOP OF IT???? If so, how do you proceed with followup detailing? Do you just add a coat of Zaino on TOP of the wax and then another coat of wax on top of that???? Or do you have to strip down the wax coat with Dawn and start all over again??? Are you saying that you should always end up with a top coat of wax? If so, this upkeep is ludicrous (unless you don't have a job). Zaino claims that Z-2 is fine for the top coat... I just put too much on the first time... NO NEED to mix wax on top of it... Zaino says it just yellows things...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, unless told otherwise. Then I'll probably go away from Zaino, if it indeed takes this many steps to stay on top of things. I want one of those midnight specials where you just "Set it and forget it"... LOL
Z-2 is a wax replacement. All the discussion here I assume has been about non-Zaino washes. Non-Zaino washes include washing the car, using a separate polish, then using some sort of carnuba wax to protect the finish. Zaino however uses Z-1 to prep the surface and then Z-2 to fully polish and protect the surface. So, if you use Z-1 and Z-2, then that is all you need.
Old 04-25-2002, 08:32 PM
No, you are a dork.

Re: Re: Wax AFTER Polish?

Originally posted by SoundSpeed

Z-2 is a wax replacement. All the discussion here I assume has been about non-Zaino washes. Non-Zaino washes include washing the car, using a separate polish, then using some sort of carnuba wax to protect the finish. Zaino however uses Z-1 to prep the surface and then Z-2 to fully polish and protect the surface. So, if you use Z-1 and Z-2, then that is all you need.

Bingo.
Old 04-25-2002, 10:57 PM
Racer

Originally posted by SoundSpeed
Clay it, wash it, dry it, polish it, wax it. All done.
I thought you were supposed to wash before you clay. BTW, can you use any clay (i.e. sold at Pearl, etc.) for your car or is there a specific clay for cars?
Old 04-26-2002, 09:12 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, do you need to buy the Zaino clay or will any claybar do?

Also, you can do Z1-Z2-Z5 correct? Or does Z2 have to be the last coat put on?
Old 04-26-2002, 09:51 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by ferizzo

Z1-Z2-(Z5 if you have swirl marks or scratches)-Z6-Z2-Z6-Z2....
Old 04-26-2002, 10:00 AM
9th Gear

There are a few good ones out there - you dont have to get the Zaino one . . . but get it from the car care section at your store - i dont know what a Pearl store is .

Z2 does not have to be the last coat - it is the shiniest - but if you plan on putting more than one per day - you need the ZFX, not Z1.

you could / should take care of swirls as much as possible by doing the Z5 layer until you are happy with them . . . then work with Z2 . . and the occassional Z5 to stay on top of new swirls.

remember - the first time - after the claying and re-washing . .
apply Z1, leave it on, apply your Z2 or Z5 right over it - let them dry together and wipe off when dry.
if you have z6 gloss spray - now is a goos time to use it - then you are done for the day.

note, if you do have z6, right before you apply your first Z1, do the car quickly with Z6 to make the application go easier - it slickens up the surface . .

now, its the next day - and you dont need to use Z1 again for 6 months, or if you have applied 10 coats of Z2/Z5. so, just dust the car off, and apply a single coat of Z2 or Z5 - dry and wipe. then you can Z6 spray again . . .

spraying Z6 when you are done is going to cut down the static charge - reducing the dust attraction to your car and bumping the shine a tad. it also makes the surface feel slicker - and a tiny bit easier to remove bugs etc (if they stick)
Old 04-26-2002, 10:04 AM
Pro

Originally posted by jinu117

Z1-Z2-(Z5 if you have swirl marks or scratches)-Z6-Z2-Z6-Z2....
..and then end with a nice spritz and wipe of Z6.
Old 04-26-2002, 10:11 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by rockinTLS

..and then end with a nice spritz and wipe of Z6.
Aww... I forgot :p
Old 04-26-2002, 11:15 AM
Intermediate

No you really don't have to use Zaino or Mothers clay. You can buy a lot more of it a lot cheaper at stores like Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc. Then you would have a bigger piece of clay to work with and it wouldn't take as long. You do want to wash your car before you clay, otherwise you are just dragging particles of dirt across your paint surface.

And as for the 3-4 posts above this one, what did I tell you guys?
Once these Zaino freaks latch-on they just won't let go