View Poll Results: Shoud I buy? 2002 TL, Clean title, 51k, 8,600$ New tranny No warranty ?
BUY IT NOW!!
46.67%
DO NOT BUY IT!!!
20.00%
Look around 4 better deal?
33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

PLEASE HELP Looking to buy my first acura tl IS THIS A GOOD DEAL????

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 05:20 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation PLEASE HELP Looking to buy my first acura tl IS THIS A GOOD DEAL????

PLEASE RESPOND ANYTHING HELPS!

Hi I am looking to buy my first TL. I found one:
2002 ACURA TL (non type s)
51000 miles
1st owner
Clean title
no accidents
Brand NEW transmission from Acura last week (except tranny case),
NEW front engine mount last week
White with beige interior non navi.

It has no WARRANTY ON ANYTHING. The seller wants 8600 firm. Is this a good deal??? IS it worth buying? Im pretty much spending all I have on this car so im hesitant. Whats the chances the tranny or anything thing else breaks down?

PLEASE RESPOND ANYTHING HELPS!!!
Old 07-31-2009, 07:26 AM
Instructor

Why is there no warranty on anything if the transmission is from Acura...and just a week old? Transmissions are the weakest link in our cars.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Instructor

yup - if that tranny was replaced just last week from Acura, it should be warrantied. Don't give an inch on that.

Nice low miles!
Old 07-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Wye-Ey-Fore Sicks-Spd

that sounds like a really good deal. just make sure you get verification of some kinda warranty on the tranny. our trannies have habbit of abruptly failing, which is NOT cool. make sure u have something to fall back on if that does happen. Acura offers a replacement warranty up to 109k miles i believe, but make sure the previous owner didnt somehow disable that when getting the new tranny. other then that, these are SUPERB machines. i have the same model as this one, and i absolutely love it. 8600 is not bad for that too.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:33 PM
6MT Someday..

I think that is a great deal. If the trans was installed by Acura shouldnt it carry some sort of a warranty?
Old 07-31-2009, 12:40 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
the mileage is nice and low, but $8600 seems a bit high to me.

or maybe i just haven't checked the going price lately
Old 07-31-2009, 01:18 PM
Drifting

You can get better deals if you shop around more.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pretty good deal...I’m a bit weary of someone dumping a TL (very low mileage) right after a brand new tranny/motor mounts have been installed! Seem a bit fishy? Double check that the tranny was done by Acura (should be warranty if that is the case), and have an independent shop that you trust, take a look at the overall condition of the car.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:26 PM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Rhlieu
Pretty good deal...I’m a bit weary of someone dumping a TL (very low mileage) right after a brand new tranny/motor mounts have been installed! Seem a bit fishy? Double check that the tranny was done by Acura (should be warranty if that is the case), and have an independent shop that you trust, take a look at the overall condition of the car.
i sold mine after i had the tranny replaced by acura. they goodwilled 85% of it though so i didnt take a huge hit, it was a great selling point imo.

acura gives out 3 yr 36k mile warranties now on replaced trannys so i would ask for proof that acura did in fact replace it.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have problems with the smell of cigarette smoke? If so, ask if the car has ever been smoked in. The smell of smoke can be incredibly difficult to get out of a car.

As mentioned above, since Acura installed the transmission there should be some amount of warranty on it. The transmission can be a huge reliability issue for 2nd gen TLs. A non-warranty replacement can approach $4000.

Call Acura with the VIN number and they should be able to tell you if there's any warranty. If you call the dealer directly, they might even be willing to tell you if all recommended work was done to the car. For example, if the owner declined to pay for new engine mounts all around, you could be in for a big repair bill.

Before I bought my 1999 TL, the former owner's dealership told me that the car had been serviced there for years and every recommended service was always approved by the owner.

You might want to run a Carfax report just to see where the car has been registered and to confirm that there was only one owner.

If you have a decent mechanic, you might want to see if he'd be willing to check the car out for a nominal fee.

Good luck!

Last edited by Bob_F; 07-31-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:44 PM
3.2 Type S

you should be able to find a type s for that price
Old 07-31-2009, 03:12 PM
5th Gear

Well the tranny has the original warranty that came with the car, I talked to the mechanic and he said the car was in great condition EXCEPT for the left side motor mount has some wear but does not have to be replaced yet. THE front motor mount has been replaced since it was broken said the tech at acura. The tranny warranty is covered under the original warranty till 2011 i think. The original owner said he is leaving the state and thats why he is selling it.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:34 PM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
i would hold out for a type s ... and one with the 3 yr 36k mile warranty with a newer tranny installed by acura
Old 07-31-2009, 11:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^

Agree 100%

My 01 TL is still rock solid! But I still regret not getting a Type S instead! Especially now in the used car market, I’m sure the Type S is only $500 up to $1500 more then a TL-P
Old 08-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
lets get some facts straight please~

The front motor mount is often broken and found at trans failure time- the first time anyone looked up at it~ much cheaper labor to replace it with trans out .3/$30 vs 2.5 hrs $250

Never have I heard of or seen a TL with all 5 mounts broken- the front one goes because we dont have an upper engine torque bar, so the mount takes abuse-
then the right side is suddenly taking more load- it goes- then the rear on very few cars goes,,, if you havnt noticed the slight rough feeling of broken mounts before then- very hard to tell on these trick mounts unless you experienced it before

The front and rear mounts are special $120 `fluid filled` and some years even vacuum boosted! so a bad mount is a problem in several ways and can make engine run rough

an `IN warranty` trans replacement - does actually come with a `new case` or one made after 05 and rebuilt again after early failure--
but the point is: acura rebuilts have a new case design over the one that came with the car- it does not solve the problem but is better by far,,maybe 25% failure compared to 50-60%
It contains new and used parts they got from other warranty returned units

In warranty replacements comes with a standard parts warranty/ trans replacement warranty of 12/12
thats all
An out of warranty- `goodwill job` where you paid something towards replacement, they sell you a $300 a 3/36 warranty...its often right in the bill- charged 15$ for something and 300 for your part of goodwill- total $315 and you are happy!!

The `in warranty` replacement trans is still covered by the 7.9/109 (114.5 for odo error cars) warranty

Salesman dont know facts- they talk too much BS to understand the special trans warranty for gen2 --- as ordered by the court

If you are putting everything you have into buying the TL- its a bad choice for a car
Monthly Expenses abound- must use 91 octane gas, tires are 100-200 each! 50k miles its ready for brake pads and maybe front rotors- you cant use junk on the TL - it will protest

Has the brake fluid been flushed a few times in the cars history??- is it clean and clear now? no- rebuilt calipers 75 each, master cyl 100...
Though the OPs car has low miles, 50,, its on the 7 year mark for the 105 major service
figure $1200-1400 for that
See the recent thread on belt broken melted- engine destroyed

The dealer should provide a COMPLETE- not the mini teaser version found online- Carfax report
Note that carfax only knows what it has been told- accidents etc- but someone has to tell it, and its not required to notify them if insurance company doesnt pay out a claim on that car

acura customer care will know any warranty history of a car you like
1-800-382-2238 x5 need the VIN

****Everyone should register there as the owner- they send out the recall notices to last known address, and some of you will be getting one for the airbag soon- see thread on subject

For a student, I would get a regular honda with its better warranty, economy of operation and still easy to fix up a little to be faster or corner and stop better
The car salesman is only looking at their commission- not at your actual needs beyond- Salesman sees you are young-say, this car looks cool- you will get chicks with it!!
buy it today~~
Old 08-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I really like the look of the dash with a nav unit- it also has electronic control of the ac system--you can find non S with nav occassionaly
The basic dash has some cheap looking plastic knobs and faceplate,,, in a leather interior--crazy

oh yea- you will need as new nav disc- $200
Old 08-01-2009, 06:19 PM
5th Gear

wow you really know your stuff 01tl4tl. The car has had the front engine mount replaced with the transmission. The right engine mount has some wear but was not replaced. Acura replaced the transmission but the tech told me they did not replace the CASE of the tranny only the internals, if that makes any difference? He did add that the transmission had all the updates of 2009 w/e that is. The car is being sold privately not by a dealer.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:19 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
lets get some facts straight please~

The front motor mount is often broken and found at trans failure time- the first time anyone looked up at it~ much cheaper labor to replace it with trans out .3/$30 vs 2.5 hrs $250

Never have I heard of or seen a TL with all 5 mounts broken- the front one goes because we dont have an upper engine torque bar, so the mount takes abuse-
then the right side is suddenly taking more load- it goes- then the rear on very few cars goes,,, if you havnt noticed the slight rough feeling of broken mounts before then- very hard to tell on these trick mounts unless you experienced it before

The front and rear mounts are special $120 `fluid filled` and some years even vacuum boosted! so a bad mount is a problem in several ways and can make engine run rough

an `IN warranty` trans replacement - does actually come with a `new case` or one made after 05 and rebuilt again after early failure--
but the point is: acura rebuilts have a new case design over the one that came with the car- it does not solve the problem but is better by far,,maybe 25% failure compared to 50-60%
It contains new and used parts they got from other warranty returned units

In warranty replacements comes with a standard parts warranty/ trans replacement warranty of 12/12
thats all
An out of warranty- `goodwill job` where you paid something towards replacement, they sell you a $300 a 3/36 warranty...its often right in the bill- charged 15$ for something and 300 for your part of goodwill- total $315 and you are happy!!

The `in warranty` replacement trans is still covered by the 7.9/109 (114.5 for odo error cars) warranty

Salesman dont know facts- they talk too much BS to understand the special trans warranty for gen2 --- as ordered by the court

If you are putting everything you have into buying the TL- its a bad choice for a car
Monthly Expenses abound- must use 91 octane gas, tires are 100-200 each! 50k miles its ready for brake pads and maybe front rotors- you cant use junk on the TL - it will protest

Has the brake fluid been flushed a few times in the cars history??- is it clean and clear now? no- rebuilt calipers 75 each, master cyl 100...
Though the OPs car has low miles, 50,, its on the 7 year mark for the 105 major service
figure $1200-1400 for that
See the recent thread on belt broken melted- engine destroyed

The dealer should provide a COMPLETE- not the mini teaser version found online- Carfax report
Note that carfax only knows what it has been told- accidents etc- but someone has to tell it, and its not required to notify them if insurance company doesnt pay out a claim on that car

acura customer care will know any warranty history of a car you like
1-800-382-2238 x5 need the VIN

****Everyone should register there as the owner- they send out the recall notices to last known address, and some of you will be getting one for the airbag soon- see thread on subject

For a student, I would get a regular honda with its better warranty, economy of operation and still easy to fix up a little to be faster or corner and stop better
The car salesman is only looking at their commission- not at your actual needs beyond- Salesman sees you are young-say, this car looks cool- you will get chicks with it!!
buy it today~~

wow you really know your stuff 01tl4tl. The car has had the front engine mount replaced with the transmission. The right engine mount has some wear but was not replaced. Acura replaced the transmission but the tech told me they did not replace the CASE of the tranny only the internals, if that makes any difference? He did add that the transmission had all the updates of 2009 w/e that is. The car is being sold privately not by a dealer.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO with all our 2nd gens now near or expired tranny warranty now. i would look at another car. if u like the car and aware of the costs for a rebuilt tranny if it dies tommorrow...go for it. but if u are going over ur budget and got nothing extra on the side if the worst case scenario happens, i wouldnt do it....

If u want something close to the 2nd gen tl, go for a 6spd cls...other than that id stay away...
Old 08-01-2009, 10:08 PM
10th Gear

Im saying do not buy because there is no warranty. Just think what if something goes wrong and you dont have a warranty, these TLs are known for some tranny problems, and im planning on buying a 2003 TL Type S this October so Im in the same possition as you.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:03 PM
7th Gear

I just recently bought a TL type-S for $8500 with 55k on it and like someone said in this thread you can get type s for that price just be patient and look around
Old 08-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by iphoneman
I just recently bought a TL type-S for $8500 with 55k on it and like someone said in this thread you can get type s for that price just be patient and look around
ive seen high milage w/replaced trannys for 7.5-8k
Old 08-05-2009, 02:18 PM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by V2hondasi
If they DID NOT replace the transmission case, they rebuilt the transmission with THE SAME CASE THAT CAUSED THE PROBLEM TO START WITH.
It's the NEW case design that supposedly cures the tranny problem with the fluid flow throughout the tranny.

01tl4tl is the voice of reason around here-you should listen to what he is telling you.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:19 PM
5th Gear

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AlanW
If they DID NOT replace the transmission case, they rebuilt the transmission with THE SAME CASE THAT CAUSED THE PROBLEM TO START WITH.
It's the NEW case design that supposedly cures the tranny problem with the fluid flow throughout the tranny.

01tl4tl is the voice of reason around here-you should listen to what he is telling you.

Well I have talked to multiple techs and different Acura's and they all have said that the case is JUST a case that holds the transmission together, it has nothing to do with the internals. The internals have been swapped with the new 2009 updates w/e that is. In any case it took a while before I got any facts to the questions that I have asked, I have already purchased the vehicle based on the poll I made and so far everything is great.