Perma-Cap

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 01:08 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perma-Cap

my buddy has one of these on his focus and i am thinking about getting, they are soo cool, and just think you never have to take the gas cap off again!!

http://www.autogeek.net/permacapgascap.html

what do you guys think?
Old 04-10-2002, 01:18 PM
Burning Brakes

I didn't know that all gas caps for all cars share the same threading...I say this because it looks like a one-size fits all type application. The only problems I might see possibly happening are:

1. The check engine light might come on due to the fact that if the gas cap is loose, it triggers the sensor. I'm not sure exactly how the sensor works, but if it has to do with pressure, there might be a pressure loss from that new cap because the "flap" might eventually wear out or not be able to hold in the required amount of pressure needed to keep the sensor from going off.

2. There is a greater potential for people to siphon out your gas. Now granted, they could just screw off the old cap, but for those with locking caps, this new setup could pose a problem. I only bring this up because I bought a used car once that came from Kentucky, and the previous owner's said that they had to keep the gas caps locked because people would siphon out gas there...what people won't steal these days...
Old 04-10-2002, 02:31 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Siphon gas is one thing. Worst of you might run into punks puttin sugar into your gas tank too.
Old 04-10-2002, 02:45 PM
Racer

Hello..... only way to get to gas cap is by lever inside the car..... so all that gas stealing and sugar will not happen unless the fuel door is forsefully open.
Old 04-10-2002, 02:49 PM
Buckle Up

Originally posted by Pawel
Hello..... only way to get to gas cap is by lever inside the car..... so all that gas stealing and sugar will not happen unless the fuel door is forsefully open.
I'm sure if someone wanted to get into your gas tank, they could with a screw driver. That little lever can't be that hard to crack.
Old 04-10-2002, 02:55 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Pawel
Agreed....! But there are cars with fuel door that can be open from the outside unforcefully as well.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:14 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Originally posted by johnnyb_s
1. The check engine light might come on due to the fact that if the gas cap is loose, it triggers the sensor. I'm not sure exactly how the sensor works, but if it has to do with pressure, there might be a pressure loss from that new cap because the "flap" might eventually wear out or not be able to hold in the required amount of pressure needed to keep the sensor from going off.
Agree! I've seen lots of ACCORD that have Engine Check lights came on due to loosen gas cap.

I wouldn't recommend.
Old 04-10-2002, 04:47 PM
Racer

the springs on those caps do get old and fail.

there are a couple of really old ones at my local autozone.

they've been there so long that the boxes have faded, FROM THE FLOURESCENT LIGHTS.

Old 04-10-2002, 06:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sorta off the topic of this particular thread, but that gas cap reminded me of the new Fram oil drain plug product where you can screw an adapter that has a hose attached to it onto the Fram oil plug, therefore eliminating the need to use wrenches or sockets to remove a standard oil plug and also minimizing mess when draining.

Tony
Old 04-10-2002, 07:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by tdoh
Sorta off the topic of this particular thread, but that gas cap reminded me of the new Fram oil drain plug product where you can screw an adapter that has a hose attached to it onto the Fram oil plug, therefore eliminating the need to use wrenches or sockets to remove a standard oil plug and also minimizing mess when draining.
I saw this too. Certainly seems appealing but I'm guessing it is some kind of ball valve and I'd be nervous if somehow something got stuck in there and started it leaking.
Old 04-10-2002, 11:57 PM
Racer

i won't buy anything made by fram.

they've given me enough reason
Old 04-11-2002, 10:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by pianoman41

I saw this too. Certainly seems appealing but I'm guessing it is some kind of ball valve and I'd be nervous if somehow something got stuck in there and started it leaking.
You're probably right that it's probably a ball valve (one-way, at that); most likely it's spring-loaded. Also I believe that the plug itself is covered with a cap/cover that you would have to remove first before screwing on the hose attachment, so I think that that would minimize anything getting into the valve itself.

Of course, if you had crud in your motor oil, that in itself might clog the valve itself but then, that would be the least of your concerns...

Tony