People in Canadian TL's

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People in Canadian TL's

If I remember correctly, Canadian TL's have DRL's. Well, I wanted to know are your DRL's the same as your high beams? And when you turn you headlights on then the High Beams/DRL's turn off automatically correct? Is this how it is setup or can someone care to explain how the headlight system and DRL system works in the factory TL's equipped with them. Thank you.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:42 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
DRL lights is the equivalent to what you guys call your 'low beams'. The DRL come on when you start the car (aren't required to turn them on manually) and they turn off when you shut down the car. They are not our high beams. DRL share the same bulb as the high beams...the DRL are 50% output of the high beams. Basically, it's like running headlights that just aren't as bright as when you actually turn on your full lighting system. DRL are mandatory on all Canadian cars. Once you turn on your full lighting system, the DRL go off and the outter bulbs/HID headlights lights go on --- DRL and the full lighting system do not run at the same time.. it's either one or the other. DRL do not activate the tailights as does the full lighting system.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I believe NYDesi80 means to ask if the DRLs use the high beam bulbs at a reduced voltage....

...but otherwise I believe Street Spirit did a pretty good job explaining it.

You looking to add DRLs to the TL?
Old 05-09-2004, 07:58 PM

Yep -- I said that in my reply... DRL use the same bulbs as the high beams, but at 50% output... DRL use the bulbs closest to the grill...the inner bulbs.
The only options we have on our light stalk are: OFF, parking lights, and full lighting system (and then pulling the lever for high beams).... no option to turn off the DRL (although technically, the DRL go off when you turn on your full lighting system).
...but otherwise I believe Street Spirit did a pretty good job explaining it.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:33 PM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i want DRL's!
Old 05-09-2004, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dark DJ
i want DRL's!
what's the point? just turn on your low beams when you start the car! ??? i turn on my full lighting system whenever i drive... would save you lots of money to just turn the light stalk Your low beams are equivalent to our DRL, aren't they? except they don't go on automatically?
Old 05-09-2004, 09:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
what's the point? just turn on your low beams when you start the car! ??? i turn on my full lighting system whenever i drive... would save you lots of money to just turn the light stalk Your low beams are equivalent to our DRL, aren't they? except they don't go on automatically?
Umm.. correct me if I'm wrong.. but our low beam HID are the same as their low beam HID... we just have the DRL -hight beam- at 50%.. this could explain why some people are disappointed with the Sylvania Silverstar in the high beam/DRL. But flick on the high beam and I like those SS bulbs.
J
Old 05-09-2004, 09:32 PM
Drifting

DarkDJ,

You can probably add it but with the same exact setup in the canadian models will be hard. I've looked at the wiring diagram and it looks a lot more complicated. I am sure there is a more simple work around.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by jean
Umm.. correct me if I'm wrong.. but our low beam HID are the same as their low beam HID...
J
okay.. i see what you mean.. i actually meant - or thought that the U.S. "low beam" was the high-beam bulb as well (not the outter HID/full headlight bulb - but the one closest to the grill)... aren't the US guys able to switch those on manually - similar to what our DRLs do automatically?? do the US models only use those inner bulbs when they use their high-beams?

the only HIDs on stock cars are the headlights for the full lighting system/outter bulbs.. the DRLs/high beams are halogen (stock)... very, very yellow!
Old 05-09-2004, 11:05 PM
Banned

Basically I was wondering if you could just add a relay that would turn your High Beams on when the your Low Beams were in the off position and wire it in with a resistor to supply it low current so this way the bulb doesnt burn as bright. This can't be done?

Im sure all the wires are pretty much right by the drivers side fuse panel where we did the fog mod.

And to the person who made the comment about turning on your Low Beam HID's all the time, why would you do that, ur just going to burn out your HID bubls fasters. And HID bulbs are expensive to replace. Buying a relay and a resistor will only cost you like 15 bux and if your halogen bulbs go, they are real cheap to replace. Get what Im saying.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:41 AM
Drifting

It doesnt appear to be as simple as a relay. The DRL module probably would cost a nice chunk of change and there seems to be a lot more wiring. I am sure that it can be added the right way but there has to be a easier way as well.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by NYDesi80
And to the person who made the comment about turning on your Low Beam HID's all the time, why would you do that, ur just going to burn out your HID bubls fasters. And HID bulbs are expensive to replace. Buying a relay and a resistor will only cost you like 15 bux and if your halogen bulbs go, they are real cheap to replace. Get what Im saying.
yep... i know the HID bulbs are expensive to replace. it is proven to be safer to drive with your full lighting system on...makes you a lot more visible to other drivers in all conditions. i did the same with the car i had previous to the TL -- set the lights to go on automatically when i started the car. they weren't HID headlights though...
Old 05-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I have DRLs on my car, cause I bought mine in Canada and brought it down to Atlanta. I love them, and have seen so many other TLers look at me weird, and 4 have asked me "How I did that." I would like to add a switch in somewhere so I can cut the DRL's off... meaning just splicing a wire and adding a switch. The wiring diagram is pretty complicated, I looked at the Electrical Manual at Acura Carland last week.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:11 PM
Drifting

Comet2404,
So you just want to add a switch to disable DRLs? Try this... push the parking brake down a little until it is disabled and not enough to actually engage the parking breaks.

I've read that it works in most cars but I am not sure specifically for the TL though. If not there are other solutions and I can probably help you find a spot to do it at.

Let me know if that works.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NYDesi80
Im sure all the wires are pretty much right by the drivers side fuse panel where we did the fog mod.
The fuse panel only has the low voltage/current stuff, to contol the dash light indicators and to trip the high current relay. That is what the relay is for.. to control the high current feed to the lights. Hence you would need a pretty beefy resistor, if you really wanted to implement it the way you are describing. Be careful.

TLS RULZ
Old 05-10-2004, 08:34 PM

To U.S. TLers...

I'm getting a bit confused here... are you guys not able to use the inner lights closest to the grill for anything other than total high beams?? ...The lights/bulbs closest to the grill are never used except for high beams (switched on manually by pulling the light stalk) on really dark roads? So your only options are the outter bulbs/HIDs for nighttime, no lights at all, or high beams?? You don't have anything option that's even like our DRLs even if you have to turn them on manually?? Just trying to see if I am understanding this correctly...
Old 05-10-2004, 09:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
To U.S. TLers...

I'm getting a bit confused here... are you guys not able to use the inner lights closest to the grill for anything other than total high beams?? ...The lights/bulbs closest to the grill are never used except for high beams (switched on manually by pulling the light stalk) on really dark roads? So your only options are the outter bulbs/HIDs for nighttime, no lights at all, or high beams?? You don't have anything option that's even like our DRLs even if you have to turn them on manually?? Just trying to see if I am understanding this correctly...
Nothing that is DRLs. It is not available in the US for the TL. In Canada it is required.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:19 PM
Drifting

why would you want to waste time and potentially money on trying to get drls...i dont see whats so grat about them...i mean if epople dont see you during the day without your headlights on..i dont see how having them on is gonna help...making drls is not as easy as you envison it....to get your highbeams to come on when you turn on the car and turn off when you tiurn on your low beams...your gonna have to be running 2 relays...power would probalby have to come from the acc power since you wnat it to come on th the car...and then you need to run a wire from the low beamas to close the switch when its on...also another relay has to be used to keep your taillights off...no idea if a rlay would even help you there...also even if you had your highbeams as drls...they'd still be running at fulll power and they'd be annoying....
Old 05-10-2004, 09:27 PM
Drifting

Depends on how you want to do it... there are DRL kits out there for maybe $50 or less.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:47 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Even with the reduced power output, the DRL is still too bright for other drivers, especially during cloudy days and near-dusk and near-dawn conditions. The high beam light is not blinding but still very irritating to oncoming drivers and to drivers driving in front.