Paranoid bout transmittion

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 11:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paranoid bout transmission

sup guys...well, after hearing all about this stories bout transmittion got me worrying bout my car but didnt get me paranoid till last saturday when i was racing my brother in his s2k. I was in the freeway when my car downshifted to 2nd gear at 70 mph and wouldnt upshift. I was using SS and then i put in D5 but it would not upshift. So i was driving like this for bout 15 seconds till i decided to put the tranny in neutral and then pop it back into D5. After that car seemed fine but after driving it for a couple of days, im very paranoid bout driving my car and tranny failing on me again. Do you guys think i should go to the dealership and talk to them bout getting new tranny or what? I dont want this to happen again. What do you guys mean by tranny failure? Do i have a faulty tranny? I currently have 50k on my car and its a 2000 model.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:09 AM
6th Gear

Get to your dealer asap. Try to get a copy of the La Times article, and take it with you to the dealer. My tranny did the same thing. The dealership wanted to charge me $6100 to replace. After I sent a letter to the Acura VP characterizing the Acura transmissions as "Russian roulette the Acura way", they offered to replace the tranny at a cost of $900 to me. My car has 85,000 on it. Have not heard back from the Exec. VP, yet. I will let you know,what, if anything he says about this situation. Let me know if you want his address. The only way Acura/Honda will do anything about these defective transmissions is when the negative publicity starts to affect sales. I noticed that the CL users organized a successful picket at a Canadian Acura (www.acura-cl.com)dealership. I'm holding out for a 0 cost fix. I, nor anyone else owning Acuras with these defective transmissions should be forced to pay for the repairs. Every Acura TL and CL driver out there is playing "Russian roulette the Acura way" each time they get behind the wheel. Believe me, when that tranny downshifts from 5th gear to 2nd gear while going 65 -70 miles, it's a scary thing, especially in bumper to bumber rush hour traffic. Neither you nor any of the vehicles behind and around you know that you are suddenly going to decelerate to 25-30 mph in a matter of seconds. Only the sound of their screeching tires will tell you how close you came to dropping the hammer on the "loaded cylinder" of tranny gun. It's just a matter of time before somebody's luck runs out, and their erratically downshifting transmission causes them to lose control of their Acura, and lose their lives.
Old 09-17-2002, 01:19 AM
HU
Instructor

Originally posted by birvie
I noticed that the CL users organized a successful picket at a Canadian Acura (www.acura-cl.com)dealership. I'm holding out for a 0 cost fix. I.
Do you have a link to this Canadian protest? I couldn't find it on the CL website. I am wondering where in Canada was this protest as the dealers in Vancouver deny any knowledge of tranny issues.

Thanks