Paint and Wax ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint and Wax ????

My car is currently being repainted (completely) by the dealer

See here for reason of repaint. (my post is the 10th on the 1st page)

I was wondering

1) When would be a safe time to wax the car after this. Winter is coming up (I'm in NY) and I hear (from this site) that it could have a terrible affect on my paint.

2) I am completely new to waxing. I've never done it before (TL-S is my first New Car) What is an effective and easy method for a beginner?

3) what would be a simple wax/polish that I could use? (I know waxes and polishes are 2 different things)

I have done a search and alot of the things I have found have been rather detail but not really for beginners. I've also read up and looked into the whole Zanio process but that too looks a little more detailed than I should take on at this point. I don't want to end up with swirl marks or even damaging the paint for that matter.

Any help would be appreciated....
By the way I have a Nighthawk Black Pearl TL-s
Old 10-09-2003, 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
if its just been repainted i wouldnt wax it for atleast 3 months. he paint needs time to fully cure. it should be fine throught the winter and in the spring was and wax it with a good wax then. dont do it before.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:57 AM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the most basic thing to do is to put the car in a shaded area (garage car port, etc.) and let the metal cool. I would just wait for the morning on a weekend so you know it's as cool as it's going to get. If the paint is too warm/hot it'll be very easy to put swirls in the finish (the darker the car the more obvious it would be). Just get a pure carnauba wax and only do one panel at a time. Don't wait for it to completely become hazy (that was something you had to do with the wax formulas of days gone past). You can take it off right away or even just let it sit for a few minutes but no more than five; it gets too hard to take off after that long.

A couple tools I like to have on hand are a toothbrush and another gizmo I made. Take a brand new 2" wide paintbrush and cut the bristles down to about 2" long. Then take some duct tape and wrap tape around the metal band on the brush handle that holds the bristles together. Use this to get wax out of tiny places with out the worry of scratching the paint.

After a few months after you wash and dry the car one day with your favorite car wash soap (don't use dish soap unless you're willing to spend some serious time putting all the wax back on your car!) then use clay-bar ($10-$25 from most auto parts stores) and a bottle of quick detailing spray ($7) to get the contaminants out of the paint. After I spray on the detailing spray I take my clean hand and smear it all over the body panel I'm working on to make sure it's covered completely. "What contaminants? I just washed the car??" you say? Believe me there's still a lot in there. After using the clay bar using the detailing spray and not the bottle of spray that came with it you're ride will be SOOOOOOOO slick and smooth it's unbelievable. But it gets better. Wax the car again after the clay bar and NOW see how well that paint feels. Don't lean against the car after you do this (as if you would anyway) because you could very easily slide off fall on your ars.

The clay bar treatment only take sabot 15 minutes tops. Just rub the clay bar on the paint with the same hand speed you would take wax off with. No need to push as hard but DO remember to knead the clay after each panel is done so you have a fresh and clean patty of clay to use on the next panel. One clay bar usually lasts about 5-6 cars worth depending on how cruddy it is.

Have fun!!
Old 10-09-2003, 11:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
^ those are good instructions for the spring. dont wax it right away
Old 10-09-2003, 11:16 AM
Burning Brakes

I'd ask them how long they recommend. At least 30 days. 3 months is ideal though if you can.
Clay is key !! 15 minutes ? I spend a good hour on a clay session, but I am anal....super anal.....I have a cape
Old 10-09-2003, 12:01 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't put any wax on your car for at least 60 days if you have fresh paint on . But during the first 60 days you can use [3m hand glaze] "which is safe to use in a paint shop".
Old 10-09-2003, 01:20 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by kent_99TL
Don't put any wax on your car for at least 60 days if you have fresh paint on . But during the first 60 days you can use [3m hand glaze] "which is safe to use in a paint shop".

What does this hand glaze stuff do? and what can I do to help the car keep it's shine if waxing is out of the question?
Im in NY and the winters here are horrible
Old 10-09-2003, 02:31 PM
Burning Brakes

A "glaze" is what you would use after polishing, but before waxing. It really adds that wet look to it. But since your paint is still new, you'd just glaze and not wax.
The 3M line is really nice.
http://www.properautocare.com/3mimhanglaz.html

Check out this write up for a general overview of the differences.
http://www.properautocare.com/whatdif.html

Hope this helps. Good Luck !