paint job

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
paint job

I wanna get a new paint job on my car. Its four years old and there are so many little scraches on the car. I have tried to wax them out and all. Has anyone got a paint job on there TL and also how much does it cost. I just want the car to me the factory WDP, or the Escalade white pearl. I know the acura dealer here has a body shop and gonna ask them for a est.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dnd2984
I wanna get a new paint job on my car. Its four years old and there are so many little scraches on the car. I have tried to wax them out and all. Has anyone got a paint job on there TL and also how much does it cost. I just want the car to me the factory WDP, or the Escalade white pearl. I know the acura dealer here has a body shop and gonna ask them for a est.
WDP is an awesome color. But it collects dirt alot compared to other colors. Also touchup paint is hard to match. Just a couple things to consider. But i love my WDP
Old 07-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
WDP will cost more than painting the car the same color as it is a 3 stage paint so it costs more to apply.

If you're totally changing the color of the car, look at spending 4k+ easy. They will have to paint the door jambs and engine bay to make it look like it was stock, versus opening the hood and seeing a different color You may be able to find someone who will do it for 2k-3k for the same color as stock, depends on the shop
Old 07-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Racer

have you tried toj have it detailed. I don't know your paint condition, but a detail is a whole lot cheaper then a new paint job. Most "little" scratches and be polished out. it is kind of like sanding down a very thin part of your paint so to speak.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by thAviEtbOi 37
have you tried toj have it detailed. I don't know your paint condition, but a detail is a whole lot cheaper then a new paint job. Most "little" scratches and be polished out. it is kind of like sanding down a very thin part of your paint so to speak.
exactly - wet sanding and a clay bar can really make old paint look new if the condition isnt too bad
Old 07-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually painted my own car....If you know someone who has a painting booth or a pretty nice garage you can do it yourself, I just took the code to PPG and got my NBP...you have to have a high quality paint gun and air compressor....but let me tell you this, if your car is already one color DO NOT paint it another color unless your prepared in spending ALOT more money and time...door jams and hard to reach places are VERY tough, and you dont have to spend as much time on them or any time at all if your painting them the orig. color...i've got pics if you'd like, another tidbit if your painting it in a garage, you'll need to buff out the dust particles after you apply your clear coats

p.s. if you're determined to paint it another color, or even the same color for that matter, do all the prep work yourself, if it's a different color then the org. then paint the jams yourself, it's not tough and can save you as much as $800-$1000.....I would never do this with my TL but i've always been tempted to do all the prep work myself, and take a car to MACCO but supply them with the paint, they cut corners by using really cheap paint and not worrying about jams, but if you tape everything off yourself and supply them with the paint even they couldn't mess that up, (or could they!)....let me know if you have any questions
Old 07-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ou sig
exactly - wet sanding and a clay bar can really make old paint look new if the condition isnt too bad

they are also correct, wet sanding and using a clay bar and a paint cleaner will do wonders....go over to the Wash & Wax section too....those guys are like from a different planet, they take steps when restoring a car's paint that I've never even heard of they know it all and are willing to help, and then you're only looking at a full 12 hour day instead of weeks or even a month or so...
Old 07-04-2005, 07:03 PM
Banned

you should paint it urself...its fun but hardwork and the best part is seing the finished product.....you can find websites that help you do it....imma paint my integra myself
Old 07-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dnd2984
Just remember there are no such thing as a good deal . If its cheap there is a reason . some cut corners that you dont know about , important ones. good paint cost good money. Donot paint it yourself unless you know what you are doing , you will not like the out come if you are picky. you ever went to the grocery store and rang up $200.00 in food ,and then ask if you could pay only $150.00 , they will laugh at you ! You only get what you pay for !!! I bet a good body shop will charge you about 140 hours of labor and plus supplies , suplplies about $2000.00 PPG paint . I might be off a little but , it will cost! Ive been in the bodyshop working on 20 years now and its hard work = lots of money!!! good luk my freind!!!
Old 07-04-2005, 09:19 PM
Racer

it'll cost you about a grand to paint the whole thing....I only had to repaint my rear doors back...and that cost me about $450...ask around, it's also like anything, go to a local shop and ask their painter if he'll do a job for you outside of work, you'd be surprised how many people actually do that as their second job....for instance, tomorrow I have a audio installer coming buy to do a TON of work for me, I'm going to pay him 20 bucks an hour, and it'll cost me about $200 total for all the work he'll do, but when i went to best buy (where he works) they quoted me a price of $900 to do everything....ask around, you'll find someone if you're not comfortable doing it yourself