Paint Defects?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 08:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Defects?

Sorry if I'm beating this down with a stick...searched and couldn't find what I was looking for...

I was out waxing my car today (looks SWEET), and I noticed that there are about 3 major places on my car where it looks like something was trapped between the paint and the clearcoat when they painted the car. I've found a few small spots (like sand specks), but these parts are noticeable because they're larger and they're discolored (they're white). Yes, I'm sure it's not a ding... I know peope have taken it back to the dealer...but what would you do? I know people have talked about going to the dealer...has anyone actually been successful at getting them to redo parts of the car?
Old 05-16-2002, 09:19 PM
Instructor

I got paint defects too, the dealer won't do anything because you have taken delivery of the car and it's nothing major.
Old 05-20-2002, 07:10 PM
Advanced

same thing

hello...

thank you for your post !! YES, I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM...i also have a few "bumps" on my car (looks like dust got caught underneath the paint and clear coat)...in addition to the same specks that you speak of...

my dealer agreed to fix under warranty...going in this week, but I'm afraid of discoloration...

also, any comments on how to repair those dang stone chips would be appreciated...

again, THANKS for your posting...thought I was going insane...

my theory is that most people have these spots, but not all are as detail-oriented (i.e., neurotic) as some and thus, don't notice or care about these specks...but i do !
Old 05-20-2002, 07:26 PM
Intermediate

Neurotic?

Maybe not neurotic...obsessive-compulsive, I can live with that.

Anyway, I'm gonna take my car back to the dealer then and see what they'll do about it. I think the white color I'm seeing is where there was some debris under the paint or the clear coat and when I was waxing the car, I hit the bump and took the paint and clear coat (and debris) right off. Oh well. If they're gonna fix it, then I'm happy. Since my car's only about 5 weeks old, I'm not too worried about discoloration. Like previous posters have said, if you're look at it right, no matter what, you'll see that it's been repainted, but you have to look at it just right if it's a good job. There's really no way around that unless they replace an entire panel.

Thanks for the reply! I'm happy to know I'm not the only one concerned about this...sad to know that it's happened to other people. Sorry.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

its a can of worms dont mess with it........ my brand new 02 ssm was painted twice b4 they got it rite and they blended the paint into the car,,,,,,,,arrrrrrgh,,,,,,i should of just left it !!
Old 05-21-2002, 03:41 PM
Advanced

thanks

thanks nsx...yes, I've read other posts advising NOT to touch up any paint "imperfections"...it's one of those things...some people notice/care about them, others don't...

i'll have to think about it...

thanks again
Old 09-01-2002, 03:31 AM
Advanced

any update falconbrad? my dealer/national acura office has offered to repaint my entire car under warranty

do u think it's worth it, or another can of worms?