Online Specifications and service manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 06:24 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Online Specifications and service manual

Please take the time to read the thread on oil changes (3750 or 7500) posted earlier today. Last week I suggested an online spec chart and service manual, and nobody replied. I think that threads like this are why we should put one on the board. I realize I do not have as much tenure on this forum as most of you, but I really think this might benefit everyone. Any thoughts?

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black Pearl / Parchment Interior
Acura DVD-Based Navigational system
Burlwood Shifter
Alpine 620 Changer
Heavy Right Foot
Old 03-19-2001, 07:34 PM
Pro

Moderators - please don't move this topic, I would be interested to see if this is really that bad of an idea...
Old 03-19-2001, 07:38 PM
Burning Brakes

DrB:

As for the service manual, perhaps you refer to the book that shows how to do all the various repair and service jobs to the TL? If so (I'm not sure), then you're referring to copyrighted material that shouldn't be copied here. The shop manual is like $80 or so, but for routine maintenence you won't need it if you're handy with a wrench. A lot of us here do oil changes and the like, and you won't need much more for many years.

As for the maintenence schedule, you should consult your owner's manual. If you lost it, I'd be happy to look up the required intervals for service and post for you.

For starters, most of us fall under the "severe" schedule, and require maintenence every 3750 miles. "Severe" means drive in hot and/or cold areas, dusty areas or mostly on short trips. That's most of us city folk. The manual says what the actual numbers are, once again, but I think it's trips of less than 8 miles, and temperatures <=20f, or >= 90f. To be safe, most of us change before 4000 miles anyway, so the 7500 "normal" driving schedule is kind of a joke.

On a parting note, please remember that you do not have to get this service done at Acura to both have it done right and to preserve your warranty. On the contrary, most quick lube shops (i.e. - Jiffy Lube, etc.), can do the oil change and inspect all the underbody stuff for a fraction of what your dealer charges. If you don't do it yourself, you can still save thousands over a few years by going elsewhere than Acura for standard maintenence.

Also, bear in mind that most of us on the board are certified car nuts, and the fastidious maintenence we perform on our cars is perhaps excessive. Just follow the manual, and your car should easily give 200,000 miles of trouble-free service.

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler
Old 03-19-2001, 07:55 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Gomez:
most of us on the board are certified car nuts
No way!

------------------
2001 Silver TL, non-navi, Inspire tails & wood steering wheel, 2 burlwood dash kits & shift knob, TL-S passenger vent trim, Alumapro BP-10 & ZX400TI Phoenix Gold, Python 1500 ESP (remote start, all windows up & down, sunroof closes, prox, etc), factory spoiler & body kit, AEM short ram intake, blue alarm LEDs, Mugen grill, Comptech sways, springs & exhaust, SuperCrystal lugs.

On order: 19" Alstadt IVs, 225/35ZR19 Nitto 555s, Apex'i V-AFC.

Nate's ride
------------------
"Every man dies, not every man lives."
Old 03-19-2001, 08:48 PM
Pro

Smile

I agree . I don't think we should post copyrighted material such as install instructions. I just think it would be helpful to post the maintenance schedules (times of oil change, what each warranty service covers, etc.) as well as the printed specifications for our cars (i.e. wheelbase length, wheel well depth, tire size) in a simple table format similar to the Acura manual. I know that throughout the 39,422+ posts on this page that somewhere, somebody has probably touched on each of these specifics, but a quick reference table might be more direct and helpful. These forums are wonderful because they spark discussion on ideas I had probably never considered, but I think they would be enhanced by providing us users with a source for definitive answers. I don't think Vehicle dimensions and specifications are copyrighted material for reference print, as long as the source is cited in the posting.
Old 03-19-2001, 08:50 PM
Pro

BTW, I was just using the oil change question as an example of where a posted table would help, not as a question. Sorry for the excessive posting