One more Tranny thought

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 11:30 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 482 Likes on 224 Posts
Unhappy One more Tranny thought

Here's why we need to find out if there REALLY is a tranny problem with the early TL-S's, or if it is just a fluke that 20 or so of us had bad trannys.

Although I have had mine replaced, I still love the car, and after spending all of the bucks I have modding it, I would like to keep it. However, should the tranny go again (like RedLined), I would have to re-consider.

Now, the absolute worst thing that could happen, and something that ALL TL-S owners (esp early buyers) should keep in the back of their minds is WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE TRANNY FAILS AFTER THE WARRANTY EXPIRES!!

Suppose that someone never has a tranny problem, then the waranty expires and "boom". Do you think Acura will cover it? Maybe, maybe not.

That is why we have to find out now, get as much info as possible so that if it does happen to us (or you) in a year or two, we have some backup info to support out claims.

One of the advantages of a group like this is that we can collectively pool information.

When my tranny went bad, if I was not aware of this group, I would have thought that either I was the unluckiest guy in the world, or maybe there was something I did to cause the problem.

Instead, when it died, I went - Oh, my turn!

If there is some action against Acura about these trannys (as mentioned in another post), we should keep each other informed. I am just afraid that in two years or so, there will be some REALLY PI$$ED OFF guys who have large tranny bills.

In a way, it is almost better to get it over with.

Hey, I'm not trying to scare anybody, or bring doom and gloom, like I said, the car is superb, and I hope NO ONE ELSE ever gets a bad tranny... All I am saying is that we should get our facts together now, while we are all still covered. In a few years, it could be you searching the old posts about tranny issues!

:-jon
Old 01-26-2002, 12:07 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm relax!!! You guys should have at least 5yr/60000miles. If you live in Canada, lol, u technically get 5yr/62500miles because, we use km as in 5yr/100000km and when you divide 100000km by the conversion figure of 1.6 you get 625000miles. Also, if you multiply 62500 miles x 1.6 you get 100000km so it's 2500miles of additional warranty for us Canadians, EH!

Remember, 62500 miles; I haven't had a tranny failure on my 2001 Accord V6 (38000km = 25000miles), I haven't had a tranny failure (knock on woodgrain) eventhough the V6 Accords and 1998+TL/TL-S are having problems.... ALSO notice that MOST of the PEOPLE having problems with the TRANSMISSIONS here have had them fail at exorbitantly LOW mileage! It almost boils down to this: if your car was meant to have a tranny failure then there is a 97% chance it would happen on or before 30000miles; if you have EXCEEDED 30000miles without transmission troubles at all, there is only like a 3% chance of failure beyond that :-). Hint sometimes it is better to change transmission fluid at the manufacturer's intervals rather than earlier intervals because, IF SOMETHING should fail, IT WOULD be more likely to fail in the WARRANTY period if it maintenance was performed on or lightly after (say up to 800miles over the recommended intervals) the manufacturer's intervals.

I've talked to one guy from Texas from V6accord.com. He had recently acquired a 1998 Accord V6 Coupe from a fleet with 130000miles on it. He said that he had owned for about 4 months and his tranny died then got it rebuilt. I asked how did it die? He said "a sensor failed and then the bearing finally exploded in the tranny after a few weeks of having the sensor fail".

Perhaps your Trannies are failing only b/c of a bad PCM (powertrain control module) or bad sensors on the tranny.
Old 01-26-2002, 11:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Fuggedaboutid
hmm relax!!! ...
Perhaps your Trannies are failing only b/c of a bad ...
Yep, I'm not too worried because at the rate my trannies have been going (at 8500 and 26500 miles), my tranny will ALWAYS be under warranty. If mine does go AGAIN, I'm going to drive it straight up Acura's a$$!!! But I agree with oblio ... we should do what we can so nobody gets screwed.

As far as what's going wrong. Acura doesn't seem to know what's going wrong (evidenced by my and other's repeated tranny failures), how the hell can any of us even begin to guess what's going wrong.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:26 PM
3rd Gear

Red face im all in...

Originally Posted by oblio98
Here's why we need to find out if there REALLY is a tranny problem with the early TL-S's, or if it is just a fluke that 20 or so of us had bad trannys.

Although I have had mine replaced, I still love the car, and after spending all of the bucks I have modding it, I would like to keep it. However, should the tranny go again (like RedLined), I would have to re-consider.

Now, the absolute worst thing that could happen, and something that ALL TL-S owners (esp early buyers) should keep in the back of their minds is WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE TRANNY FAILS AFTER THE WARRANTY EXPIRES!!

Suppose that someone never has a tranny problem, then the waranty expires and "boom". Do you think Acura will cover it? Maybe, maybe not.

That is why we have to find out now, get as much info as possible so that if it does happen to us (or you) in a year or two, we have some backup info to support out claims.

One of the advantages of a group like this is that we can collectively pool information.

When my tranny went bad, if I was not aware of this group, I would have thought that either I was the unluckiest guy in the world, or maybe there was something I did to cause the problem.

Instead, when it died, I went - Oh, my turn!

If there is some action against Acura about these trannys (as mentioned in another post), we should keep each other informed. I am just afraid that in two years or so, there will be some REALLY PI$$ED OFF guys who have large tranny bills.

In a way, it is almost better to get it over with.

Hey, I'm not trying to scare anybody, or bring doom and gloom, like I said, the car is superb, and I hope NO ONE ELSE ever gets a bad tranny... All I am saying is that we should get our facts together now, while we are all still covered. In a few years, it could be you searching the old posts about tranny issues!

:-jon

I bought my 2003 acura 3.2TL used from a lady. It had 68k on it. It now has 75k and the tranny jus died. While trying to get it to the acura dealer chk engine light came on along with tcs and a blinking D5 light. The rest of the way I limped to acura. Luckly I had gotten the warranty transferred into my name. They are replacing the Tranny and the motor mounts for free. So im lucky. And they gave me a 2008 TL as a loaner so yea. Im pretty happy.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by acurafiend03
I bought my 2003 acura 3.2TL used from a lady. It had 68k on it. It now has 75k and the tranny jus died. While trying to get it to the acura dealer chk engine light came on along with tcs and a blinking D5 light. The rest of the way I limped to acura. Luckly I had gotten the warranty transferred into my name. They are replacing the Tranny and the motor mounts for free. So im lucky. And they gave me a 2008 TL as a loaner so yea. Im pretty happy.
Sounds like Acura took care of you.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
way to revive a thread from 2002~
Perhaps a read of the main thread on the subject - Tranny Failure, will inform you of the class action lawsuit and the 7 year plus 9 month or 109k miles extended warranty (sone cars get 114.5 due to odometer error lawsuit)
The cars warranty covers the car not the owner- 2 or tenth doesnt matter-as long as its not salvage-rebuilt title

In this case it sounds like the buyer got a special bumper to bumper extended warranty transferred- thats smart - not all the 03s are covered automatically on the trans warranty.
The front and side motor mounts are a common failure- they are hi tech and its a fun car to drive- put the 2 together and parts are going to break

Register with acura 1-800-382-2238 x5 tell them you are the new owner, give them your address for future recall notices
and ask if any recalls or other extended factory warranty on the car- like seatbelts on airbag sensor systems or timing belt tensioner pulley? if thats needed pay the slight extra for a new water pump while they are right in there! saves you a grand!

If you register on their site you can look up your car too
need the VIN number in hand for both of those
http://owners.acura.com/registration...erstepone.aspx