Omg!!!help Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 09:51 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Omg!!!help Please!!

i cleared my headlights the other day and it looked perfect......i sealed it up with clear silicon and drove it yesterday.....nothing happened until today...
i washed my car and noticed that the passenger light started to fog out...a little later, the driver's side did also.......later on, the passenger side was drying up & was ok, so i figured i could put more silicon on it..............but when i looked at the driver;s side, it had tiny drops of water on the bottom..i guess i didnt seal it good enough................but anyways.......when i turned on my headlights....the driver's side did not turn on but the passenger side does!!!.........wats wrong with it?? the bulb looks like its in perfect condition and i dont know y the drivers side wouldnt work..............please someone tell me why!! sorry for the long post

im gonna try to open it & clean it out & reseal it tighter tomorrow....wish me luck
Old 04-29-2002, 09:54 PM
Peach Tea

good luck

sorry to hear this about your lights. any pics?
Old 04-29-2002, 10:01 PM
Racer

Unhappy

damn making me think really hard if i want to clear my headlights now. sorry man, hope you fix it quick.
Old 04-29-2002, 10:02 PM
Pro

yea i took pics right after i cleared em..........ill have those up tomorrow, but anyways.....im so scared bout my hid's =(
Old 04-29-2002, 10:10 PM
Peach Tea

Originally posted by numbaonexstunna
yea i took pics right after i cleared em..........ill have those up tomorrow, but anyways.....im so scared bout my hid's =(
When my lights were cleared, they fogged. Johnnyb_s said it was because we had them open and moisture could have gotten in that way. They never fogged again after that, its been a week and a few days. His explanation seemed correct.
Old 04-29-2002, 10:53 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think anybody has completely sealed them up when they cleared them. I think once you open them, it will fog no matter what. Has anyone who cleared their headlights that have not fogged up yet???
Old 04-30-2002, 02:40 AM
Pro

ouch man~

i know that warranty probably wont cover them anymore since you opened them. so heres wat i would do. If you bulbs are blown out. put those blown bulbs into someones elses TL(uncleared) like a friend and have them go to the dealer to get new ones for you.
then treat him out to lunch~

if its not the bulbs...then borrow somesones uncleared headlights and take it to the dealer.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:58 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
your best bet would to be to buy new light housings from one acura dealer and put them on, then take it to the dealer and be like, "my lights dont work." It may work and it may not, either way you will have new headlight housings that you need and you might get away with it this time. Try it and let us know. Because the dealer will never fix that under warranty
Old 04-30-2002, 10:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 90 Posts
Yeah, and the dealer never SHOULD fix that under warranty! I'm a little surprised at all the people telling this guy to commit fraud just to save a little cash. It's called personal responsibility--if you want to clear your headlights knowing ahead of time that it will void your warranty and then you screw something up, accept it and deal with it. But trying to get Acura to pay to fix your mistake is just plain wrong. YMMV.
Old 04-30-2002, 11:27 AM
Pro

should i just first try goin to a dealer & askin em to change my bulb??
Old 04-30-2002, 04:58 PM
Instructor

I had the same problem, but the thing is i did not clear my headlights. I've left them the same since the day i drove the car off the lot. The dealership attempted to fix the problem only to find that the lights continued to fog even after the whole unit was replaced. Two days and 4 headlights later, they decided to call the Acura tech line. As it turns out, our headlights are vented in the back to prevent the HID bulbs from overheating. Of course i was skeptical and thought the dealership was just trying to make up an exceuse to avoid replacing the Headlight. I asked a mechanic to show me the vent. It looks like a little tube extending from the backside of the headlight. The dealer said they were told by the Acura reps that occasional fogging is normal. This occured ONLY after washing my car in the winter months. Now that the weather has gotten warmer, it seems that the problem has gone away.
I suggest you take it to your dealer and see what they have to say. Chances are, they will probably blame it on your cleared headlights, but it wont hurt. From what the dealerships have told me, this problem is normal(I spent quite some time at the dealership bugging and harassing them, so they might just have lied to me so i would leave ).
Old 04-30-2002, 05:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by CO-TLS
...As it turns out, our headlights are vented in the back to prevent the HID bulbs from overheating. Of course i was skeptical and thought the dealership was just trying to make up an exceuse to avoid replacing the Headlight. I asked a mechanic to show me the vent. It looks like a little tube extending from the backside of the headlight...
This (hole/vent in headlight housing) is true for more than a few kinds of housings; my Tahoe has them (hole at bottom of housing with a small tube attached)...

Tony
Old 04-30-2002, 09:49 PM
Pro

well.......im fuked......i was driving and the passenger side bulb went out cuz of moisture.....even after i dried it like crazy & sealed it with tons of silicon...................now i have to buy 2 new housings for 180 a piece and get the dealer to replace the bulbs (which alone cost 220+ each)...i have some things to say to people that wanna clear their headlights............DONT DO IT!!! it looks nice for a few days but when a little rain comes or u wash ur car.....ur pretty much screwed.........SOOOOO.......... now im out 400$ and a bunch of wasted time clearing it & fixing it
Old 04-30-2002, 10:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
HEADLIGHTS NEVER FOGGED!

I've had my headlights cleared for two and a half years and they have NEVER fogged. Thank god. They were done properly but I cant take them apart again. The housing is melted to the lense.

Rosh
Old 04-30-2002, 10:13 PM
Pro

well......i guess the 98-01 gen tl's r a lot luckier wit clear outs than the 2002+ have been..........anyways, i have to buy the housing & install it tomorrow and get the new bulbs....sucks eh? if u have a 02+ TL ..... think twice about clearing it!!
Old 04-30-2002, 10:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

You think you contaminated the D2R bulb when you were clearing the lights? These (HID) bulbs get pretty hot.
Old 05-13-2002, 12:03 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Headlights Fogged before... All I did was unscrew the Turn Signal Light left it off in the sun... Next thing ... It was cleared, I screwed the bulb back in... Never Fogged again..