Older driver and itch for upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2001, 07:22 PM

Question Older driver and itch for upgrades

I think I'm one of the older guys (36)on the board, but I'm thinking "will I miss what you young guys have with upgrade to Comptech springs and sways". Dealer quote of $408 just for install of springs! I miss the braking and grip of my old Nissan Max. and know that upgrades will improve both (as well as Car and Driver's poor estimate of 208 feet to stop from 70 m.p.h.) I don't want to go overboard with tire and wheeel upgrades. Is it worth the grand after parts and labor? Thanks
Old 01-29-2001, 07:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Yes, I would also recommend replacing your stock tires with aftermarket tires(Michelin's MXV4's suck a$$), so you can complement the lower stance with additional improved handling and better braking..you can also change the swaybars, an invisible upgrade that really makes the difference in handling.. I just can't decide what to do yet, change tires, get CL-S rims, or go all out and get 18's...Summertime I'll know..
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 01-29-2001, 08:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Tim C:
I think I'm one of the older guys (36)on the board, but I'm thinking "will I miss what you young guys have with upgrade to Comptech springs and sways". Dealer quote of $408 just for install of springs! I miss the braking and grip of my old Nissan Max. and know that upgrades will improve both (as well as Car and Driver's poor estimate of 208 feet to stop from 70 m.p.h.) I don't want to go overboard with tire and wheeel upgrades. Is it worth the grand after parts and labor? Thanks
Hey, what's this old guy crap? I'm 36 and I'm modding my TL! See signature.

------------------
2000 TL - Laguna Green, Navi, Rear Spoiler. PIAA Hyperwhite HB's. 17" CL-S wheels. Soon to have Comptech Suspension, Sways & Axle back Exhaust.
Old 01-29-2001, 09:33 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm only a couple years behind ya, but I would highly suggest the modifications you noted since they are indeed safety and performance enhancements. better handling not only improves the drive, but your safety as well. The improvement in braking can be easily done by upgrading the tires (our stock tires really do leave much to be desired) and just changing the brake pads to metal masters helps tremendously. Hope thos suggestions help. $1k worth of upgrades is worth the safety improvements alone! the added fun comes free!

------------------
1999 Satin Silver TL Dunlop SP9000 215-45/17-mounted on CL-S 17" Rims
H&R Springs-Axiss MetalMasterPads-Crossdrilled Rotors
-Inspire Tailights-20/30/40 tint

Y2k S2K Honda Roadster
- Mingster Aeroscreen, Smokin Front mesh Grill, Clear Sidemarkers...
Old 01-29-2001, 10:22 PM
Jens

Wow!! 408.00 for springs alone? we charge 222.00 for springs and 74.00 for sways.Jens
Old 01-29-2001, 10:34 PM

Talking

Suggestions:

1)Springs
2)Sways
3)Headers
4)Cold Air Intake -> Http://www.XephyrPerformance.com

Sorry couldnt help but push my products

And, I would go for the least exensive first ..... Xephyr Performance C.A.I LOL

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black CLS Type S - Xephyr Performance Cold Air Intake, PIAA 19173(Yellow) Road Lamp Upgrades, Full Wood Trim, Spoiler, Best GTECH Sprint 6.05 Xephyr Performance Intakes
Old 01-30-2001, 12:22 AM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Go for it man you will be happy. I am 29 and can't wait to mod my car.

------------------

1999 silver TL with navi and I hope some 18s soon.
Old 01-30-2001, 03:14 AM

I think moding your car is just tunning a car to your personality or how you drive it. Flashy kids want the spoiler, body kit and lowering it. The conservative want to conceal their mods and on suspension and for a purpose. The racer's use NOS.

So, I don't think it's about age at all...

------------------
'00 Acura 3.2TL Laguna Green
V1
no mods yet, but it's coming...
Old 01-30-2001, 06:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by yu888:
I'm only a couple years behind ya, but I would highly suggest the modifications you noted since they are indeed safety and performance enhancements. better handling not only improves the drive, but your safety as well. The improvement in braking can be easily done by upgrading the tires (our stock tires really do leave much to be desired) and just changing the brake pads to metal masters helps tremendously. Hope thos suggestions help. $1k worth of upgrades is worth the safety improvements alone! the added fun comes free!

Hey, I like that! A new angle to sell the wife on. "But dear, it's making your car safer to drive....really!"

------------------
2000 TL - Laguna Green, Navi, Rear Spoiler. PIAA Hyperwhite HB's. 17" CL-S wheels. Soon to have Comptech Suspension, Sways & Axle back Exhaust.
Old 01-30-2001, 06:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile

Originally posted by Jens:
Wow!! 408.00 for springs alone? we charge 222.00 for springs and 74.00 for sways.Jens
Sounds like a quote from a greedy dealer.
Old 01-30-2001, 07:31 AM
Banned

Unhappy

Originally posted by MikeS:
Hey, I like that! A new angle to sell the wife on. "But dear, it's making your car safer to drive....really!"
I'll have to try it on my wife... as far as you, old farts, go... you should've gotten an RL...
Sh*t not so long ago I was 18.... and not too far from now I'll be.... sh*t... time flies...

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-30-2001, 08:42 AM
Racer

Thumbs up

Hmm, this thread is starting to sound a lot like what's been running through my mind lately.

I'm mostly happy about the TL's ride. I don't feel a need at all to improve its acceleration, but do feel it has room for improvement in terms of handling and especially braking (annoying nose dive and braking distance).

I'm definitely going to get Pirelli P7000 tires to replace the stock tires, but the Comptech springs/sways sound interesting as well. (What are "headers"?)

Can anyone corroborate their claims of "dramatic" improvement in handling? How about aftermarket brakes -- any real improvement there, or are the cross-drilled brakes just for show?

Also, can anyone suggest a good place to get the Comptech mods done in Queens, NYC?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by genghis on January 30, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 01-30-2001, 08:47 AM
AC
Drifting

I don't think that upgrades should be an thing. If you look at majority of the 911 owners, they're mostly in the upper 40's to 50's.

If I decide to keep the M3, Dinan Turbo for me!
Old 01-30-2001, 07:36 PM

Smile

Originally posted by MikeS:
Hey, what's this old guy crap? I'm 36 and I'm modding my TL! See signature.

Just kidding about the age, but I'm thinking I'll only have car for 3 years (2004?) when next generation comes out.The Accord is due 2003. All in all I'm not too concerned about the 2002TL-S. Remember that the last years of model are facelifts. best to buy in the middle tears. Thanks for the comments.
Old 01-30-2001, 07:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by genghis:
...but do feel it has room for improvement in terms of handling and especially braking (annoying nose dive and braking distance).

I'm definitely going to get Pirelli P7000 tires to replace the stock tires, but the Comptech springs/sways sound interesting as well. (What are "headers"?)

Can anyone corroborate their claims of "dramatic" improvement in handling? How about aftermarket brakes -- any real improvement there, or are the cross-drilled brakes just for show?

Also, can anyone suggest a good place to get the Comptech mods done in Queens, NYC?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by genghis on January 30, 2001 @ ]</font>
Hey Genghis...to answer all ur questions... If you want to improve the pitch/dive, go with springs, it also tightens up the swaying action.. But sway bars(goes under the car, between the front and rear wheels) really make the difference in handling.. I bought mine, but am waiting until it gets warm to do it..

Go with upgraded tires(stockers suck, they are known to sacrifice handling and braking for ride comfort) for added handling benefits.
Headers increase the flow going to the exhaust, and we all know, better flow and an easier running engine will operate the best and with more power.

If you are looking to upgrade your brakes with bigger rotors, you will need to upgrade your wheels(bigger rims) to get them to fit. Go with AEM or Metal Master pads. Also, the cross drilled or slotted rotors benefit in that they keep the brakes cooler because there is more ventilation, so less fade overall.. The cross drilled rotors snook offers are the same overall size as stock ones, FYI..

I know SMXDAVE has a speedshop he got all his stuff from in Queens that installed it for him too.... Send him a PM or email him at SMXDAVE@AOL.COM

Anything else?
Ed

------------------

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Old 01-30-2001, 07:58 PM
Senior Moderator

I just spoke to Dave, he said go to :
Full Throttle Performance
60-67 Fresh pond road(he thinks)
Number is 718-326-1052.
Ed

------------------

Pics of my TL
Old 01-30-2001, 09:11 PM
Racer

Thumbs up

Thanks, Dave and Ed; much appreciated!

I'll get the tires first, then see about the swaybars/springs mods. Any estimate on what those would run me? Do they go together, or can I add them incrementally?
Old 01-30-2001, 09:43 PM
tea elle

I'm also 36 years old, sh*t I'll be 37 in April, but I still love to drive for crying out loud!!!

I recommend doing what I did, so put 17" wheels and some nice tires on your TL and you'll love the better ride and the vastly improved look. Just choose your wheels wisely! I ended up buying CL-S wheels.
Old 01-30-2001, 11:50 PM
Burning Brakes

You only live once, enjoy it !!

upgrading suspension,braking, and etc. does improve safety.. so why not?

Mods Mods Mods and more Mods lol